The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 2gNT Pentastar V6 swap into 97 Eclipse RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitzuSamurai

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2022
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
I have a 97 Eclipse RS with a stock 420a, I was wondering if anyone would know if a Pentastar V6 would fit in my 2g and mount to factory transmission or even consider the sxt awd.

I was also wondering what would be the easiest way to link the V6 ECU to the 2g chassis. Any advice is welcomed

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No one is gonna have the answer here, but it’s pretty big, man. I don’t think the 2G has a big enough engine bay. If you could manage it, it would rip though.

I highly doubt you can get the stock wiring to work with the new Chrysler stuff though. Not to be rude but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn’t attempt it.

You'd probably have better luck throwing an LS in there since there is so much documentation about it online and in this forum. From experience with a pentastar V6, it really wouldnt be worth the swap since mine was only unreliable and not fun. If you did want to swap some sort of 6 cylinder into your car, another forum user on here is swapping a 3g 6 cylinder into his dsm. You could maybe ask him for some advice.
Keep in mind, with both the Pentastar and the 3g swap, the only way it will work is if you are really mechanically inclined and know how to do proper measurements and fabrication. There is little to no documentation available for your swap, so you'd be going in totally blind. I'd just turbo the 420A and have a blast with what you have, 420a's can be great!
(Oh, also, sell the pentastar engine since I'm sure a charger, challenger, or 300 somewhere really needs it ROFL )

Bolt in? No. Is it possible, with a welder, grinder and a bunch of patience probably. That's a tall engine, doubt it'll fit well in the bay. The AWD system is another nightmare in itself.

Definitely easier swaps for better power.

You'd probably have better luck throwing an LS in there since there is so much documentation about it online and in this forum. From experience with a pentastar V6, it really wouldnt be worth the swap since mine was only unreliable and not fun. If you did want to swap some sort of 6 cylinder into your car, another forum user on here is swapping a 3g 6 cylinder into his dsm. You could maybe ask him for some advice.
Keep in mind, with both the Pentastar and the 3g swap, the only way it will work is if you are really mechanically inclined and know how to do proper measurements and fabrication. There is little to no documentation available for your swap, so you'd be going in totally blind. I'd just turbo the 420A and have a blast with what you have, 420a's can be great!
(Oh, also, sell the pentastar engine since I'm sure a charger, challenger, or 300 somewhere really needs it ROFL )

Mine lasted 200,000 miles and never gave me an issue until a thermostat failed closed(“warranty work” demanded that particular tstat. Eyeful) and pegged the temp gauge.

It ripped too for an N/A V6 too.

But it takes up a ton of space. And honestly you’d probably have better luck with the 3.8 MIVEC V6 out of the 4G eclipses. Those things rip too.

Tbh, you would have a better chance doing a whole SOHC 24V 6G72 or 6G74 swap as the 6G73 has been put into a 2G chassis already a couple of times. Plus the 5 speed from the Eclipse should work too since the 6G7X engines all have the same bolt patterns pretty much. Hell, you can even put in a 6A12TT engine as that's also been known to fit into these just fine as well.

Of course anything can be done with money and time, but you'd be better off with the latter I mentioned earlier. They also probably would offer way more performance benefits too than a Pentastar V6 would.

I believe you'll need to use the 2.5 v6 block for the swap to be as plug and play as possible. Something to do with necessary sensors, I think. Just swap over the 3.0 heads. If you do the whole 2.5 v6 swap, they were only rated at 155hp, so swapping to the newer heads would make more sense. I read somewhere that the majority of the displacement difference was in the 3.0 heads, but nothing from personal experience. The 3.8 does pull well ( I have an 07 GT as a daily), but I'm not sure that will be an easy swap due to its size and the variable timing system. From the pictures I saw of the 2.5/3.0 swaps done in the past, those are a tight enough fit in our engine bays.

I believe you'll need to use the 2.5 v6 block for the swap to be as plug and play as possible. Something to do with necessary sensors, I think. Just swap over the 3.0 heads. If you do the whole 2.5 v6 swap, they were only rated at 155hp, so swapping to the newer heads would make more sense. I read somewhere that the majority of the displacement difference was in the 3.0 heads, but nothing from personal experience. The 3.8 does pull well ( I have an 07 GT as a daily), but I'm not sure that will be an easy swap due to its size and the variable timing system. From the pictures I saw of the 2.5/3.0 swaps done in the past, those are a tight enough fit in our engine bays.

This is very true, but if you want to make any real good power off it in the long run, you'd want the 3rd gen Eclipse 5 speed anyways if you're going to put on the 3.0L heads since it literally is a FWD Evo trans in retrospect (F5M51 & W5M51 are virtually the same, down to the gearing. Reverse gear and I think final drive is slightly different but overall the same running gear as the Evo.) Plus, chances are it is still going to need to be custom fabricated mounts and custom made wiring harness to even work properly as such so might as well go all out right? Lol, but it would still be LEAGUES better than having any GM powered P.O.S. in these cars any day of the week!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back