The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Clutch pedal engages low to floor and stays for a few seconds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And_44

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2010
Marysville, Washington
Hello,

Been searching and not finding the problem I'm having so far. So thought I'd post this and hope to get some responses and search some more.

But I just sold my 1990 Talon and using the sale money to fund the purchase of a 1995 Talon TSi AWD. This thing is great looking. And appears unmolested by any modders. Has 121k miles with timing job done at 98k.

Well to the point. The dealership just replaced clutch with a 2200 ACT because the old one was slipping has about 80 miles on it now. Since they've replaced the clutch the pedal engages the clutch about 1in from floor and stays there for a few seconds. A few seconds of driving and the pedal will automatically release its self back up to normal height. At a complete stop you have to use your toe to pull up the clutch pedal let it sit for a second then you can engage 1st gear, not doing this the pedal will stay to floor or if you havn't released your foot from pedal 1st won't engage. On a level surface I left the car in first and put the clutch down and rev'd engine car didn't move at all so it's disengaging.

Told them I wouldn't buy car with this issue and they said they'd fix it before selling it to me. They didn't have a clue what was up with it and said they tried bleeding the clutch at the slave cylinder not the master, and didn't know about the in line resevour between master and slave. They inspected the pedal and found that the spring on clutch pedal is broken so will be replacing that and doing a more thurough inspection of clutch assembly.

But the purpose of this posting is. With the pedal engaging that low to floor and only returning by itself after being engaged and driven for a second or two could it be just a bad bleed job or damaged unadjusted clutch pedal assembly.

Thanks in advance for any response and time.

Really looking forward to my new beast.

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 121k miles 5 speed. Got every option besides leather seats and factory CD player.

Make sure they adjust the clutch pedal. Point them in the direction of the jackson transmission clutch pedal adjustment video on youtube. I know both my 2g's pedals are slow to come up, but not that slow (both do however need new slaves/master and adjusted fully).

It could easily be anything. The engagement being that low sounds like it's not adjusted properly, the delay could be a lot of things too. Until you actually get into it I don't know what to tell you. When I read your post the first thing I thought was bad adjustment, but I can't tell you how to check it other than the VFAQ method.

Yea, they said they just installed new clutch and bled it. When it wasn't working right they inspected the pedal assembly and found broken spring.

I then told them that as the old clutch was wearing out that they probally adjusted pedal to compensate. I gave the guy this website address and told him to search it and he'll find his answer. LoL

But YaY;D I got myself a 2g DSM probally;)

Start by properly flushing the clutch line until nothing but new clear fluid comes out. Then make sure the pedal is adjusted properly. Make sure the master and slave are not leaking and or sticking. From there drop the transmission to inspect the actual clutch assembly. Still nothing, then it is time to check for crankshaft play.

Clutch pedal slop is a common problem with 1st gens.

Sound like a combination of a mis-adjusted clutch, and a worn clutch pedal assembley.

You may need to have the pedal core rebuilt and welded to fix the issue.

Yes, it is a 2g. 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. And am aware of CW. Just the clutch engagement issue only happened after replacing the clutch. Engagement level and return was fine before, just clutch was shot.

Now clutch is new and grabs nice, just engages low and pedal stays down at floor and only releases back up on 2 conditions. 1 being you use toe to pull up (no pressure just floats up), and 2 with clutch engaged and car being driven, after 1-3 seconds of being engaged it will pop back up.

+1 for clutch adjustment
My 2g started doing that before the master cylinder took a dump. check underneath the dash to see if you have fluid leaking down the firewall.

well i have been dealing with a clutch engaging right at the floor and it was hard to get into gear . it started with a problem with the pedal not making contact with the clutch starter switch . so i kept adjusting the master rod . it worked for awhile but then it started all over again . now knowing that this is a 2g i never thought to look at the clutch pedal . well i finally did and where the master rod hooks up to the clutch pedal i noticed a crack . so i took the pedal out and sure enough the crack went right to the hole causing the pedal to flex which caused the rod to not go far enough in the master . so for you 2g guys inspect your clutch rod before doing anything else especially if you run a heavy clutch .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back