The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

PCV valve re-route

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The PCV (pressure crankcase relieve) valve is what screws into the left, rear side of your valve cover. It's purpose is to relieve excess crank case pressure (aka: blow by) via a hose, into the intake manifold. Not only is this route unecessary, it is messy and over time, this valve can become clogged which will cause your oil dipstick to pop out, or like me, may cause you to smoke a bit under boost. So I will give you a few simple alternatives to bypass the stock route of the PCV valve.

Option 1 (recommended)

Parts needed:

1- 2' or 3' section of rubber vacuum/fuel line (I believe its either 3/16" or 5/16", but just to be sure, take your PCV valve with you and test fit the tubing)

1- Oil catch can with two inlets

OPTIONAL 1-new PCV valve

First begin by unscrewing the PCV valve from the valve cover. Proceed by removing the reroute line from the intake manifold and remove the PCV valve and line from the car. Disconnect the line from the PCV and set the line aside (your not done with it). I would recommend cleaning the PCV valve with solvent or brake fluid. I did this with mine and removed alot of gunk from the inside. If you do, notice that when you pour liquid into the smaller side (valve cover screw in side) that liquid will flow all the way through. Now try the larger side (line side), notice liquid does not come through? That is how your PCV valve is supposed to work. :thumb: When I first began cleaning, liquid came out neither side OMG

After your done cleaning, go get your PCV reroute line where you left it. It should be an "S" shape, and cut it in half so it looks like an "L". Make sure you take the side that comes off the intake manifold nipple. It is larger on that side and youll cuss a storm when your trying to fit the smaller portion of the line on the intake mani. nipple. Take a bolt laying around and jam it in the smaller opening nice and tight (use sealant if desired). Then place the hose back on the nipple, this is your seal for that nipple. You can always use a nipple cap if you have them, but I did not so I just did this and it works fine.

Now take your rubber vacuum/fuel line and place that on your PCV valve. Screw the PCV valve back on the valve cover and route that line to your oil catch can. While your at it, route the line comming from the left side valve cover nipple to your catch can as well. Now no more messy IC pipes.

Option 2

Follow the above steps, except simply route the tube down to the ground instead of a catch can. Keep in mind you may not get away with this at the track and the emissions peoples may not think to highly of you. So do it this way at your own risk.

UPDATE

I have been informed that the PCV valve opens under vacuum only. To resolve this, go to a local plumbing/hardware store, pick up a nippled barb that is match threaded and will screw into the back of the valve cover and run the line from that instead of your PVC valve. Simple as pie :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back