The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Pay $$ Labor Swap Auto trans FWD(1/2 done, tranny stuck on conv.)Need help ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar232

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2011
Shenango Valley, Pennsylvania
I had a buddy come down from Michigan to Hermitage PA 16148 to assist with the swapping of my leaking 98 Spyder Turbo OEM (99k miles). We got everything disconnected and I have 1 bolt on rear tranny mount stuck(Mapp gas couldn't break it either). But I dont want to disconnect engine stuff to drop both. I almost have enough clearance but stuck on converter and I'm sure I'm not pulling it out properly myself. I do have it 1 inch off the motor and can see flexplate and start of converter. I am willing to Pay$$ for the labor to swap in the other auto tranny and its 1 bolt and old tranny is out. All bolts labeled in zip lock bags and have everything on site besides small compressor/air tools may help put back together but not required unless you have. please If someone can get down here on the weekend or on a Friday or Monday I will even take a day off of work if needed too. I can also arrange a hotel overnight if needed, but this should be a full day at most with re-assembly. I just need this work done by someone familiar with DSM. I am ready and car is 1 bolt and we can drop motor if it helps it clear. I really need someone that can do this ASAP. Will pay $$ cash or paypal for the install work I need. Thanks . Cell 724-813-9710. Phil. Hermitage, PA 16148

Update I was able to get the trans off the Driver side axle had to get ripped out off the green cusp on shaft. I also was able to rotate 90 degrees and lower the trans down and take off hoist and me and my BIG fried wiggled it off the converter. Now I am having trouble with those 17mm(4 Bolts) that hold toque converter to flexplate. Is a spanner wrench enuf grip and what kind of tool for these wierd 6 side hex with a star/philips head looking bolts but the have a small thin heads and slips/strips?. I have all brackets swapped to new trans. I found some local help of some DSM guys. If anyone is no too far away and would like to install tranny/reconnect and do FMIC/190 Walbro pump let me know. Call 724 813 9710. Phil

You're supposed to remove the trans with the converter still inside it by unbolting the converter from the flexplate first. This way, you barely have to pull the trans away from the block, you can drop it straight down with an engine hoist in no time. To get the axle cup out, the original auto axles should have a spot where you can pry, but if someone had swapped a reman axle at some point and it's not there, just clamp a hose clamp around it and use that as a pry point. Try using an impact gun with a wobble socket to get the flexplate bolts off.

Thanks I am in the process of getting a compressor rebuilt and some air tools those 4 flexplate bolts are gonna strip. Damn any cheaper way like a spanner wrench thats thin and medium long length? Might just wait for impact and wobble connector idea. Last part holding up my swap, got tranny mounts and components swapped over. Thanks. I still have alot of other work that needs done and will compensate. Still going to assemble more of drivetrain. Still need FMIC Kit and pipes done and cut out bumper(Greddy Kit) also install that Walbro 190lph pump. Thanks

Update#2 Got all 4 converter bolts off and I put the toque converter all the way in the trans and is inside the bellhousing almost 3/8 inch. I am having trouble getting the trans to install the driver axle and put it onto pins on block I have 2 jacks and hoist need a 2nd person to simple put this together. Please if you can offer any help before the real cold hits. I also have all air tools air wrench/ratchet/30 gal 5HP Comp./Enclosed garage if needed after tranny install.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back