1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Path of power

Posted by 95FullSend99, Jan 18, 2021

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 95FullSend99

95FullSend99 Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    2g
    Bit of background is the 60 amp main fuse in the fuse box keeps blowing at ignition on. That lead me to believe that I had a short somewhere after the main power fuse.
    More background is I have relocated the battery to the back with a kill switch on the bumper, inline to a 100amp fuse to the starter and the 4 white fuse box wires. I also have the alternator and fuel pump the the kill switch but thats besides the point. The 100amp breaker I have installed on the battery power line after the kill switch and before the fuse box did not blow. Only the 60 amp further down the line at the fuse box. Once it hits the fuse box, 2 of the white wires go to the 60amp fuse and the other 2 go to the 100amp alternator fuse. From there the alternator wires don't continue as I have them cut due to having the kill switch and the alternator relocation. Sorry for the access information but I want to put it there just in case this answers any questions.

Now, once the 2 power wires have gone through the 60amp fuse, they exit througjt the bottom of the fuse box and enter the same loom as the oem alternator power wires.
    From there, where do they go?
    I'm not succeeding in finding this short and I'd like a little input on its path and what it connects to. I have read several threads and I refuse to post on Facebook about any issues so I'm taking a leap of faith here that some of the wisemen are still hanging around here. Thanks guys and gals.

Street Build 1K  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    It's kinda hard to follow what all is going on but if you have a 100a alternator, it's certainly possibly it's creating enough amps to blow a 60a fuse. It's also possible that the original alternator wires are grounding out somewhere where they were cut.

Street Build 5K  4

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. 95FullSend99

95FullSend99 Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    I think I may have figured it out. I think my alternator failed and was grounding itself out. Wish I could delete this as I was drinking when I decided to post this. Woops LOL

Street Build 1K  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Dusty Landrum likes this.