The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

passing coolent to overflow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klady777

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2013
westminster, Maryland
Ive done alot of searching and so far no solutions. I had a blown head gasket so did arp head studs,4 layer head gasket , fiav delete, new rad cap, tstat and water pump. The head was checked and no problems found. Now im passing coolent into my overflow. The system holds pressure when tested. And I tried empting the overflow and reseting the level. Im out ofnideas any help would be greatly apreciated. lo

Ive got good compression in all four cylinders. Is it possible I need a higher psi radiator cap?

Why did you have to replace the head gasket? Overheat, detonation, etc?

More than likely you're pushing coolant under boost from a HG sealing issue. It won't show up on a compression test most of the time. You may end up having to ditch the MLS and go with a Felpro composite $35 gasket.

Last edited:
Only if the bottle fills up but itndoesnt overheat and I did the head gasket cus I was burning coolent anf had bad compression in cyl 3. If I went back to the felpro wont that mean I cant run higher boost. I thought you needed a metal hg to run 25 psi.

A Felpro with arps will hold 25 psi no problem as long as your head isnt warped badly and the arps are torqued correctly

sounds identical to my issue when I did a fresh headgasket on my old ~450-500whp laser. Had the head surfaced but not the block, just cleaned it rigorously. Seemed perfectly smooth. Put a new MLS on. Didn't overheat or anything, held pressure good - however the MLS did not want to seal perfectly and it still would push coolant.

OEM is the way to go unless it absolutely can't support the power you want to make.

Ok well it looks like I got some work to do. Thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back