The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Passed smog yet again with all the mods, nothing illegal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTurboEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2002
Bay Area, California
Well just to shed some light on those who are scared of passing smog with their mods. The dreaded thing in the mail came in yesterday saying I need to go to TEST ONLY smog to renew. Usually at this time I panic on where to go. However the past 3 times I passed no problem and nothing much has changed since the first, if anything has changed its something that would cause me to be more nervous. Being confident that I passed all the other times, except MINOR changes I was being optimistic.

some relevant mods:

- 3" turboback stock 02 housing, 3" high flow cat. downpipe and cat are from RRE (and the cat is many years old), catback is greddy power extreme, no necking down at the flanges, pin size hole on one of the welds (yay rre? LOL),
- 3.5" intake pipe
- k&n fpik with carb sticker on the MAS
- 2.5" short route intercooler piping.. lower and upper.
- hks ssqv bov, recirculated of course
- denso/greddy 660cc injectors
- walboro 190
- t04e 50 trim
- 28X10.5X3.5" core fmic (yes its the awesome EBAY 2g SSAC kit)
- dsmlink

also all my emissions control is in place, the valve cover vent hose IS recirculated back into the intake. The charcoal canister hose however is venting to the atmosphere, but took the hose off and its under the battery so no way to see it.

The previous times I passed I was using the S-GayFC2, but I could not dial it in properly to work with my 660s to pass the idle test, (perhaps due to the fact that I was a n00b in tuning) so I resulted to having to put back stock injectors all the time. This was the first time I was going to have DSMLink, so just to be safe I searched on their forums, and it seemed like I shouldnt have a problem, seeing as some guys with cams, and 720 to 1000cc injectors have passed).

But basically I passed:

%CO2 %O2 HC (PPM) CO (%)
Test RPM MEAS MEAS | MAX AVE MEAS | MAX AVE MEAS
Idle 1048 14.3 1.0 100 17 32 1.00 0.00 0.00 PASS
2500 2324 14.0 0.3 130 12 32 1.00 0.10 0.00 PASS

no hook up under the table crap, just went in, payed my $50-60 and get the test done. I did not adjust any settings within dsmlink: fuel, timing, airflow, etc. basically the default setup for 660s. All my adjustments are past the rpm to where they do the test so it didnt matter. 91 octane with no additives, and just driving a little bit to warm up the cat.

just to add though, my car is a 95 so I am exempt from OBDII readiness test. And its AWD so no dyno. And my car does not really look stock, well it does but a strangely modified stock look. ;)

So for you guys in san jose, if you need a spot, PM me. BUT NOTE, It's not a place to do illlegal smog, but if your mods dont come close to mine but are paranoid with the ones you do have or they do come close and are worried about visual, but know you will pass, this is your spot. And like I said, people have passed with similar setups and even with bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bigger turbo, and cams. Even with FWD and having to go on the dyno.

But if you are sent to the REF you are screwed every which way.

Good information. Do you happen to know any guys that run the apexi n1 exhaust/dp system? Should I be worried because of the dp?

Nice! I remember you asking me about smog a while ago. How often does CA make YOU smog your car? LOL.

...and yeah, it's not that difficult if everything looks stock(ish), there's no "bling", and you have a way to properly tune the car. I've also passed at a test only station with all the mods listed above (some parts differing in manufacturers, and I had a 16G), plus cams (HKS 264/264), and my FWD was put on the rollers.

thisdsm, you have to worry because I believe the apexi downpipe eliminates the cat. The smog place I went to is cool, but I dont know how cool about not running a cat. But thats easier than say having to remove a big turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc ya know ;)

Module Unknown.. yea I asked because I wanted to get cams and you passed. I have to smog every 2 years. your car with cams is another example of what we can get away with. And you have adjustable cam gears as well right?

Then I go to norcal EVO forums and they are scared because they changed their UICP and LICP LOL. Then I tell them that you shoudlnt worry, and some swear I pay someone under the table.. horrible.

Yeah I also passed w/ my mods even though they aren't as extensive as yours. Of course I had to run the stock downpipe but everything else stayed on. The visual might even pass at a ref as long as I have the 1g bov on (was running the Type S before). But the technician didn't care about the Type S or anything when I went in, tested and passed w/ flying colors.

Nice, I've been through it all.. went to the ref twice, once with my vr4 and once with my Talon fwd. Fremont cops are the worst in CA. They had a task force against imports. Weird huh. I had the guys at the smog station question my gauges before LOL. At the ref, I put everything in the engine bay back to stock but shoved my boost control under the airbox and it was ok. he couldn't get the car on the rollers so he told me to put stock springs back on. i went home and he called me back saying he didn't realize it was awd and said to come back and just do the sniffer.. I don't know if he was cutting me a break or just dumb(I told him it was fwd from the get go) but i passed and it was all good..

im keeping my fingers crossed... last year i was trying to sell my car and tried to get it smogged butt the car started misfiring. So i failed and couldn't get the issue resolved. after 6+ months without driving and driving it hard for the last 30 days i could not replicate the problem.

maybe my car just did not want to part with me?

if you guys have any smog spot recommendation for no visual issues please PM them over

My car just passed smog with the following:

- AEM EMS, no MAF
- TiAL BOV
- COP ignition
- no breather/pcv lines routed into intake (lines hidden and vented)

There's some other mods but they shouldn't affect the smog test. This was the most nervous I had been about the test for a while. The BOV and having no MAF had me worried. A shop where I had a pretest done first even asked me if I had the right engine that should be in my car under the hood which kind of freaked me out. Anyhow, with no tweaking to my regular tune it passed with flying colors. On the upside I think the tech thought the COP ignition was factory and didn't check timing since those don't need to be checked.

I Need To Smog My 2nd Gen Gst. Which Shop Will Do It In The Bay? They Wont Even Let Get On The Sniffer. Please Help A Fellow Dsm. Any Input Would Be Appreciated. EMAIL IS [email protected]. Here's What I Got:

Greddy Fmic
Greddy Hardpipes
Hks Ssqv Recirculated
K&n Kit
3" Cat-back
Evo3 16g Turbo
Stock Boost
Stock Cams
Stock Downpipe
Stock Fuel Pump & Injectors

Thanks!

^^^^^^^

Damn you should pass easily with those mods!!!!

PM EnticivEclipse, he knows a shop where they didn't care for his mods, and he has more than you, he should be passing also, but for some weird reason isn't. DOH!

Sorry to bring up a 4 month old dead thread, but heres what I got so far.

Full 3'' no cat with o2 dump.
Junior 19C Frank with 550's
255 pump
FMIC W/ upper/lower pipes
NO FPR
SAFC II (for tunning)
Greddy 2.5'' Catback
HKS SSQBOV (non recirculated)

Obviously i need a stock dp and o2 housing. Think i can tune it to pass otherwise? Should i get a recirc kit for BOV?

Basically, If i wanted to sell it, waht parts should i include so the buyer will be able to pass.

Thanks

Recirculating should have been one of the main things done regardless of smog ;)

You don't even need to get a stock dp if you plan on keeping your car, get your turboback setup flanged so you can swap in a 3" cat, and put back the test pipe if you like after. But I guess its easier/cheaper to just swap an entire stock downpipe and cat.

The biggest concern I could see is the fuel pump without an FPR, you might run too rich and fail, but you still have stock injectors so I'm not sure. Being a GST you will be on the dyno under load, hence my comment on recirculating the BOV. But that MIGHT not even matter, until they let off the throttle, and they see a huge spike as it runs rich--from we all know why. :)

actually im NOT stock injectors.

I run Denso 550's. I had Robert from Ditos motors tune me, but i still run a little rich in certain rpm bands.

im gonna get a recirc kit soon, but no, i do not plan on keeping this eclipse for much longer, which is why im trippin about smogging it.

The ref is a state hired smog nazi. He is a expert in emissions equipment and has the final say in anything and everything that has to do with your car being smog legal. Cops don't know shit so they wright you a ticket and send you to him if they think you do not comply with the state emission laws.

well cant you just change your car back to stock before you go to the ref??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back