The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Par vs PPG dogbox

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
Does anyone have any experience with the par dogbox? I was in contact with someone tonight from the company and it looks like it's going to cost me 5k for their straight cut dog box with the
1.06 gear set.... I can save almost 900 bucks going with this setup over ppg. Both companies are out of Australia. Any info would be appreciated.

Just PM Tim Zimmer (twicks69), TMZ performance is a dealer of both, he'll be your best source of direct info.

Personally, the PPG is a better product to work with, and to get replacement parts.

Well, for an experienced driver a dogbox is extremely easy to drive. You don't have to force the transmission into gear hard, it is just a quick and light wrist action shift. And that's without using the clutch. Just shift with a clutch and it drives just fine.

As for noise, well, it is a straight cut gearset, it will have noise in every gear, unless you are running your factory 5th gearset with only a PPG 1/2/3/4. Then you would still have synchros on 5th and reverse and a helical synchro 5th gear. If you delete 5th gear with the delete collar, then there is no synchro on reverse either.

You get used to it. Either way, when you are at the point of making a compromise of streetability to a dogbox, you already have a twin disk clutch, a big turbo, a race engine, bigger louder brakes, loud exhaust, etc. Is it really that big of a compromise when you look at all the other things you have already done to the car?

I have been street driving my car with a faceplated 1/2/3/4 gearset for 3 years on the street and it doesn't bother me at all, and it shifts nice and easy. And I have driven street cars and race cars with PAR and PPG gearsets as well, they are not hard at all to drive. The hardest part is a noob that does 2-3-2 shifts and blows stuff up.

Interesting info! was under the impression you had to "man shift" a dogbox everytime, even when just putting down the street. Well, regardless of the street manners, the price will always be the worse part of dogboxes, at least for me LOL.

Interesting info! was under the impression you had to "man shift" a dogbox everytime, even when just putting down the street. Well, regardless of the street manners, the price will always be the worse part of dogboxes, at least for me LOL.

You don't need to man shift them. That is a great way of breaking shift cables or damaging shift forks. It is a quick light movement, not a man handling. It's still a DSM, not a tank. They break stuff looking wrong at them. You never need to force a dogbox, it literally falls right in to gear if its set up properly.

As for price, speaking from alot of experience and I think I'm around 30 transmissions deep in my car nowadays, a dogbox is cheaper than replacing your transmission twice. Boom goes the dynamite. mic drop.

Well, take $4000 and put it in a separate bank account. Then save for another period of time and put $4000 into that same account. Then withdraw and purchase said dogbox.

Wohler has the Evo 4.266 ratio 64-tooth final drive in his with the PPG 1/2/3/4, spool center, and then a 1.090 tcase ratio and the rear diff ratio is 3.909. Mike has a 3.91 rear ring and pinion in his in an 8.8" rear end.

PPG V3 - ratios from their website with 1.275 primary ratio already multiplied in.
3.125 1st
2.031 2nd
1.470 3rd
1.080 4th
0.792 5th

Last edited:
The PPG should be a 1.275 primary ratio so that would be:

2.451 1st
1.593 2nd
1.153 3rd
0.847 4th
0.621 5th

The one thing I said i was gunna do and didn't on this website..... when i got the estimate for the transmission i wanted i nearly shat myself. Good news is i just took delivery of my kiggly proof built auto. Still wish i could of afforded the ppg.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back