The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Painting the body under the hood. What Paint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
I am looking to paint under the hood of my car while I have everything stripped out of it. What I am wondering is what paint to go with. I would like something durable that can hold up to oil getting on it and basic under the hood fluids possibly coming in contact with it. I am also looking for inexpensive. There is paint in quarts at O'reilly Auto that comes pre-mixed (one for Primer, one for paint, and another for clear). They are about $25 per quart. I would think 1 quart would do it. I have the right equipment to spray it too.

Here is a link to what they have in the store :
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._N0485_-1_-1&keyword=paint&pt=N0485&ppt=C0171

Any feedback on this paint or what other paint I should use?

From the factory, they spray on the body paint, which is heat-cured. I would be skeptical of using a paint that is air-cured since you don't know how well it will hold up to the repeated heat and chemicals.

The paint you listed is a lacquer paint, which will dry dull, and gloss somewhat with a clear coat. Lacquer paint is made to be buffed out to attain a shine, and with the nooks and crannies under the hood, you would be buffing a ling time. Lacquer has a reputation for being somewhat of a brittle paint, so, I personally would not use this paint.

Perhaps your best answer will come from Dupli-Color directly. Call or email them and ask them what they recommend.

Whatever paint you wind up with, I recommend that you re-install the heat shield pad. That helps the paint on the top of the hood too.

This is by no mean a show car since I am pretty much stripping it to race it now that I have another DD. I painted my valve cover with rustoleum spray paint we had left at my work and it turned out great. 5 light coats of paint and 5 light coats of clear. I killed the clear coat when I tried cleaning my engine bay with Super Degreaser (Don't ever use that on aluminum! Found out the hard way!) The valve cover actually still looks good when I clean it up and it has been 2 years now.

I have ready about VHT enamel based paints and was wondering about that paint under the hood as well. I don't think I have ever used an enamel paint before.

I prefer a single stage gloss. No clearest to apply.

Attachments

• 20140525_135503.jpg
    20140525_135503.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 73
Auto store paint of your choice spray clear qt, for touch ups, oriely for the qt waste for me, would need more paint, for good coverage but that's me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back