The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Painting a hood.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miden

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2003
Fort Collins, Colorado
So I'm buying a 91 talon awd and right now there's a CF hood. If I want it, it will run me $350 extra. I'm not super keen on the hood, and I'd rather put the money towards performance mods.

So if I'm going to paint the stock hood, how much paint will I need? Roughly how much will this cost me if I do it myself (base, clear, filler, etc...)?

Please reply quickly as I need to make a decision soon...

Thanks,

-M

i painted my 95 eclipse for 700.00 that included buying a new spry gun for 150.00.you should be able to do it for around 150 if you have your own gun.and also depends on what color you are going to do it.black is cheep and goes up from there.the carbon fiber hood looks good but not going to get much performance out off it.if you are real good at painting you could do it with spry cans and i seen a good painter do this on a hood before.

miklaver said:
i painted my 95 eclipse for 700.00 that included buying a new spry gun for 150.00.you should be able to do it for around 150 if you have your own gun.and also depends on what color you are going to do it.black is cheep and goes up from there.the carbon fiber hood looks good but not going to get much performance out off it.if you are real good at painting you could do it with spry cans and i seen a good painter do this on a hood before.

Well, the car is that gunmetal grey from IS300's. How much paint (volume) do you think you used on your hood?

I haven't got a gun, but I've got most everything else, and I don't trust myself with spray cans.

-M

It won't be very much at all. I was gonna paint my hood, hatch, and top to get rid of my racing stripes and a very good body shop quoted me 700.00 so it shouldn't be more than 150-200 bucks to paint just the hood and get it done right. You could also do the prep work yourself to save money. Grab a buddy that knows what he's doing and sand away. The prep work is half the battle.

well the CF hood could be considered a performance mod, and in it lightens your car, then in turn making it fast... in the long run, getting the hood would be a good deal, and you can be tricky and paint over the CF but leave under the hoof CF to prove you have it... but i think matching that lexus color is going to be expensive since its a color from lexus...

takerEz
wade

Silver is a pretty cheap color to buy. Just buy a pint of paint, unmixed that will be plenty. You wont need more than that i wouldnt think. It would mix out to be 2 pints sprayable so that is plenty. It takes like a gallon of paint pre mixed to paint a 2g, probably slightly less for a 1g i would say 3/4 of a gallon. go with a pint, or you could just get a quart that way you could paint your trim pieces or something like that, keep it for spare paint after a bad fight with that curb :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back