The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Paint over factory seam sealer tacky

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
Im hoping for some insight.

Im painting my bay and the factory seam sealer doesnt appear to want to let the paint dry. After 2 days its still sticky.

Any advice or do I just have to wait the drying out?

I did scuff and clean everything. Its just the sealer im worried about after testing some areas

I had this happen on one of my 2g's. I added new seam sealer in an area. When I went to paint over the new seam sealer, the seam sealer got all tacky and the paint over it never dried. I think this is because I used an enamel based paint. After that I cleaned everything off, and used an acrylic based paint and didn't have any issues.

That would make sense..

I wonder if I was to paint over with acrylic after cleaning if that woukd help

May have to experiment

Probably. That's essentially what I did. Cleaned off the top painted part of the seam sealer, and painted over it with new paint. I would just make sure the seam sealer is dry before re-attempting to paint over it again.
Which acrylic did you use? Krylon 5x?

Did you 2k clear afterwards? I plan on doing that to harden the finish. I know it works with enamel...

I used some Dupli-Color perfect match paint. I didn't use any clear afterwards, although I should have. I've had good luck with the Spray Max 2k clear, and it does work with the Dupli-Color perfect match stuff. The only thing I didn't like was that Dupli-Color didn't have the correct color, although it was close I didn't care because the area was covered up. If I had to do it again, I'd get some auto parts store like O'Reilly's to mix me up some paint. Some can even put it in an aerosol can too.

I used some Dupli-Color perfect match paint. I didn't use any clear afterwards, although I should have. I've had good luck with the Spray Max 2k clear, and it does work with the Dupli-Color perfect match stuff. The only thing I didn't like was that Dupli-Color didn't have the correct color, although it was close I didn't care because the area was covered up. If I had to do it again, I'd get some auto parts store like O'Reilly's to mix me up some paint. Some can even put it in an aerosol can too.
Im just doing satin black....mine is easy and front is already done

I think krylon 5x is acrylic...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I would just test it out somewhere on somewhere inconspicuous first, before I went all in
Thats what I did with this enamel... ill get some acrylic and even read that por15 over sealer works. Acrylic 1st and hope for the best

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back