The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Paint mistakes

kjlinwi

Proven Member
Oct 22, 2015
near Madison, Wisconsin
Thinking about doing some paint and/or add on's this winter. Nothing garish or obnoxious. i tend to lean towards the conservative side. Thinking of a subtle kind of thing to a black color base. ( barely visible ghost flames in key locations, that kind of thing )
Anyone want to share paint mistakes they have made? Like something you thought would look great but regretting it when it was done? Or something that you've seen and thought WTF were they thinking?

u lost

Proven Member
Sep 25, 2010
APEX, North_Carolina
A good paint gun goes a long way..I would practice your idea on something so you can get a idea of how the flames will look.I got good results by laying flames out with blue thin line tape and spraying a pearl coat with a simular tone as the base coat color. When the sun hit the flame would really stand out.

HeadsUp Panda

Proven Member
Oct 27, 2015
Somerset, Kentucky
Never done any painting but I have definitely seen some cars that I was really confused as to what the owner was going for. Just remember your plan. Something subtle/conservative. After laying a few that look nice don't get carried away and end up with more than you wanted LOL. I've seen some people plastidip their wheels and it look good, but then start dipping everything and ruining the aesthetics of the whole car. In the end it's all personal preference though. What you like is what you. I'm sure you'll come up with something nice :thumb:

kjlinwi

Proven Member
Oct 22, 2015
near Madison, Wisconsin
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I saw this at a local car show. Loved it but would like to see an example of more cars with flames like this. It was only on the hood of this 'vette. The car was such a high gloss that the sky reflected back with great clarity. Definitely want the high gloss wet look ( yeah I know about the extreme maintenance of black and gloss). I think I want the flames but I want to see more examples too. Can't find much of anything online for photos.

waterlance

Proven Member
Apr 1, 2016
Oakdale, California
That turned out much better than I thought! Looks nice dude. I was driving around earlier and saw a 2g with black Tetris blocks painted on and yellow fog lights. Couldn't snap a pic but it actually looked awesome. A little bit of tasteful paint goes a long way

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds