The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Paint job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattspyder said:
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do your homework... look locally for good body shops. A decent paint job can be had for as little as $1,500. Just don't get any $500 jobs from Maaco and expect high quality.

Yes, you're best bet is to look in the yellow pages. Under auto>detailing. Call around and give them your vehicle year and model. Then ask for a reasonable quote. What helped me out is saying "I'm shopping around for the best prices." That way they know you mean business and will cut you a deal. Good luck, btw, what color are you going for?

Im going for a nice Blue,
Now when you got your paint done did you have then sand the old paint off or just spray over the old shit??

Just like this paint..

Attachments

• 46294blue_evo-med.jpg
    46294blue_evo-med.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 407
I got my paint job for $1500 and really I'm not happy. The guy that did it has done some really nice cars and had a good rep. He took out the coppius amounts of hail dents that were in my car but after he got done with the actual paint I'm starting to notice some bubbles and in the spoiler there is some places where i can see a little primer. So what I'm saying is if someone who does a great job quotes you low for the quality that they are use to be a little wiery about what it might turn out like. I also recomend that if you are thinking about kitting your car or adding any extior mods to it at all do it at the same time so you can get the paint to match it. Good luck and show us how it turns out.

Automotive paint is all in the prep. If you can do a lot of it yourself, you can get a good paint job for way less.

Yeah it really helps if you have someone who knows what you are doing. It just depends if you are a DIY person or would rather just pay a little extra for the comfort in knowing a professional did it.

Yep paint is expensive. But IMO I would never paint a car in a different color that already is. Because you can never hide the original paint color an will look like crap....
Example: you won't want the paint shop to remove the Engine/Tranny just to paint the engine bay. On top of that will cost you a lot!!!! more...

For a good quality paint job look to spend atleast 2k. Me and my friend painted his car and we spent over 800 dollars just in supplies... but the paint he picked out was a little expensive.

-nick-

jepherz said:
Automotive paint is all in the prep. If you can do a lot of it yourself, you can get a good paint job for way less.
Yeah i agree with this guy, you can do most of the prep work on getting your car ready such as sanding it down, taking off any parts that youy will be replacing such as bumper. It will also help if you know someone who does a great job, so ask friends and what not because Im spending 1.1k on my paint job, and that includes aftermarket exterior mods.
PS. If you are looking to change the color look to spend quiet a bit more to have the job done correctly, because you will have to do the door jams, and engine bay, as well as other misc. areas that Im forgetting at the moment.
Good luck with the paint job man, and post some before and after pics of the paint job:D:D Cheers:thumb:

My paint job was about $4-4.5K, but a large chunk of that was labor for the prep work for doing the graphics. One solid color should cost significantly less than what I paid. Like around $2.5-3K.

mattspyder - When do you plan on getting the paint job? I can't wait to see it. Blue DSM's are drop dead sexy.

Thread moved to the Appearance/Interior/Exterior sub-forum.

I just had mine done at [gasp]Maaco[/gasp]. I got the $999 job (their only one with clearcoat). They quoted another $800 labor and I chewed them down to $1600 for the job. When I picked it up, I pointed out all the flaws; nibs, runs, and some air pockets. Dropped it off again for another week and had the defects fixed.

End result: far from perfect, but not too shabby. I'm happy with the result although I went through some separation anxiety for two weeks. I could not justify the 4-5k for paint somewhere else.

Your results may vary, available in select areas, void where prohibited.

I wouldn't trust anything under $2k.

Paint supplies are not cheap. If they say $800 you have to guess that they are going to be using crapy supplies on your car.

Just some motivation

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

OMG
The beautiful thing I have ever seen, Thank you! :sosad:

It depends on the painter with quality:thumb: As for price it varies but mine cost $500 at a local shop and it looks great:rocks: :thumb:

BTW I love that Eclipse, those CF hoods look amazing

EclipseTrbo420A said:
Just some motivation

How much would this cost??

a GOOD paintjob without any kind of hookups is going to start around 1500+
if you cant hang with that and lowball.. just get the cheap maaco stuff if thats the only price one is willing to pay.. or find a hookup

here is my black paint job

ill tell you one thing.. it was more than 1500.. and its a 95, so there was body work needed to do full conversion..

I love blue... Maybe thats why my car is blue.

EclipseTrbo420A said:
Just some motivation

DAMN! NICE! What kind of blue is this??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back