The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Paint color opinions wanted by ballin dsmers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untouchablecc

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2008
Mt. pleasant, Pennsylvania
I just had to make a catchy posting title cause im sick of posting boring titles.

Im sending my eclipse to get re-sprayed in the next week or 2 and I am leaning toward a couple of colors but I am very interested in other dsmers Idearsss. When I bought the car it came with probably a cheaper silver because its been resprayed. The roof is black which I love and I have every intention of keeping that look. I think the car looks awesome in silver but thats where the problem lies. I like many of you have realized the the majority of colors that you see on a 2g dsm are white,black,silver,red. Which are all awesome but I want to be somewhat different. I want to be able to tell the difference between my car and the others at the shootout and other events. I will stick with the silver if I decide its best but I was also leaning toward the factory monarch green pearl because I dont think its seen that much and I really like it. I like some of the odd ball mitsu colors like the cayenne red pearl. I have no intention of going red really and certainly not black because I drive it everyday haha. So tell me what you guys think and post some picks of your ideas please:hellyeah:

Attachments

• dsm 1.jpg
    dsm 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 95
I've always liked this color, I don't see it around much.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Excuse the body kit, she's in the works haha

Have you thought about chameleon colors (although they are expensive)?
Another way of getting similar result would be spraying base coat of one color, and spraying couple coats of flake (or pearl, or metallic) on top before clear coat. This way when you look straight at the car it looks one color, but looking at it from a different angle will make it look different color.

A few:

Supra Colors (I'm a sucker for these): Royal Sapphire Pearl or Anthracite.
Lexus Pearl White (don't know the name)
There's a Mazda kandy black over gold flake that looks awesome.
Nissan colors: Bayside Blue or Sapphire Blue (color code B14)

That's all that comes to mind right now...

Mitsubishi Durango copper
Nissan Gun metal grey
Green?

I always choose first the color of the wheels i want to be able to determine what color i would like my car.

I am rocking a set of Enkei 5 spokes. They are like a flat gunmetal-ish with a silver lip. I kinda bought them based off of price rather then style. I had a hard time passing up 5 rims with Dunlop Derezzas, both wheel and tires had 4000 miles on them total and he wanted 350 bucks for all 5 so I bought them haha.

Have you thought about chameleon colors (although they are expensive)?
Another way of getting similar result would be spraying base coat of one color, and spraying couple coats of flake (or pearl, or metallic) on top before clear coat. This way when you look straight at the car it looks one color, but looking at it from a different angle will make it look different color.

I really like this idea my friend but im trying to keep this to like a 1000-1200 dollar paint job done at this shop so that might be a stretch,but If I can swing it I will.

I've always liked the silver/black/red combo. Such as silver car, black top section, black rims w/ red lip, and big red calipers poking out the from behind the rims.

Respraying a chameleon color is ####ing difficult. Not the most sensible solution, and personally I find them tacky.

The newer evo color tarmac black is sick. I know you said no black but in the sun it has a purple flake in it that really stands out. I plan on painting my 1g gsx this color. I painted a 2008 lancer this color and loved it so much I want it.

One thing you could do is add flake to the clear. So underneath you would have a factory color such as silver or white. Then in the clear you put a colored flake, gold, red, purple, blue. Gives it the look of a factory color till you get it the right light and see the flake. Just an idea. I added red flake to my clear on my black 2g. It looks great and it something that adds to it that people don't see right away.

I really like this idea my friend but im trying to keep this to like a 1000-1200 dollar paint job done at this shop so that might be a stretch,but If I can swing it I will.

Even "simple" basecoat-clearcoat paint job will cost about $500 in just materials. Good news there is that you can have more than one color for about same price because at the end it's same amount of paint, just divided into different colors. Adding flake will require a bit more clear (to mix with flake) and the flake itself (it's only about $20 according to this site). Labor will go up though because it's extra steps, extra coats of material. Now instead of a basecoat/clearcoat paint job you will have basecoat/flake/clearcoat.

Go to houseofkolor.com, check out at all colors they have. They are very expensive, but have good online sample library so you can find a color you like and order something like that from your local supplier.

+1 for using flake in the clear coat,
would not do the stock single stage paint tho,

My car is allready black and was planning on doing a red metallic in the clear too:D

IF you are really short on $$$, go to a party supply store and get glitter there. Mix that in with clear and spray it! Did a test panel that way. It sparkles like a fishing lure.

I had a ESi in that color (one of my favorite colors), I wish I would have kept it and at least restored it. :(

frosted lime is awesome. I love the good old 70s muscle car molar colors..plum crazy purple etc.. we drive modern molar import muscle mutts any how...

if you like gray or silver, scion has this creamy flat gray color that is really a.nice look. Wish I knew the name/code...

Hmmm I havent seen anything that really stands out to me on this post yet. I still have to research a lot of the paint codes that were listed yet. I realize what paint materials cost and Im going to talk to a guy tomorrow. We went to autotech together and Im pretty sure he can do what I want for around 1k-1200 . Frosted lime is not quite up my alley. Thats a little higher in the hue of green then I like. I really like the royal sapphire pearl from the supra as suggested but I dunno, I feel like there are some colors you can get away with on a dsm and some you cannot.

I painted mine BMW Interlagos Blue Metallic. Its a darker blue color and i love it.

Do you have any pictures of this?

I too am a fan of the "battleship grey" color of the new scions. That with a black roof/hood it would look slick... that's actually what I plan on doing on my car someday

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back