The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

pacesetter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimp4110

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2002
Buffalo_N.Y.
Ok i am looking for a cheap 2.5 inch cat back and the pacesetter is like 1/4 the price of all the other my question is is it ok to put a different muffler i was thinking a n1 muffler is this ok to do.

Ive got a pacesetter catback. I personally did not like either the look or design of the muffler that came with it so I put the OBX B5 muffler on it. It is a straight through design (like the Apex'i N1), but the silencer is adjustable for both backpressure/noise output. I noticed a really nice pick up from this set up and I highly recommend going with the pacesetter as long as you plan on changing the muffler out

pacesetter is cheap garbage, like apc. what another month till you can afford higher quality parts

There are no other exhausts for the 90-94 N/T other than Pacesetter. Just buy the kit and add a high flow cat and a new muffler. It's the best you can do and it's what I'm going to do as soon as parts arrive.

Why don't you go to a muffler shop and get a good mandrel bent exhaust and a high-flow cat...then just buy whatever muffler you want.

Honestly, I don't think you will see the benefits of an expensive stainless system over aluminized piping.

Now what makes you think that aluminized piping will give greater horsepower gains over the pacesetter (which is now aluminized, but isnt made out of stainless steel like most aftermarket exhausts). Are you saying that different materials determine how much horsepower is gained?? Yeah right! The only difference between the pacesetter and some high buck system is that over time the more expensive one may last longer. As far as finding a shop that does mandrel bends....good luck. Most shops press bend piping which will be much more restrictive that getting a mandrel bent system. Look man, dont worry about purchasing the pacesetter, it is an exhaust system and nothing more. Its made out of the same type of material that most OEM exhausts are made out of and how long do they last? In the long run its up to you, but if you do want to spend the money you should be able to get an exhaust made for the turbo 1G FWD car and not have fitment problems.

What's the size of the turbo FWD exhaust tubing anyway compared to the 2" N/T? It can't be more then 2.5" in diameter, or I'll be loosing power. Should I get my cousin to port polish the exhaust manifold on it as well, for more ehaust flow by the head and just add a high flow cat to it?

I'm not sure where you live 1tuffrs, but where I live, it isn't hard to find a shop that will mandrel bend piping, I think we have 2 or 3 in town.

That aside, by benefits, I mean lifetime, not HP. For example, Greddy and Apexi catbacks, which are way overpriced, claim big HP gains. But, in the end piping is piping, some just looks better and will last 5-10 years longer. Who cares? Its under the car where no one looks.

Thats why I say, find a place that will mandrel bend aluminum piping for you, if you cand find a shop, buy the cheapest system, and get a decent muffler.

Ok, I see where your coming from and I have to agree. If you can find someone that can make the exhaust for you definitely get them to do it. It will probably end up costing the same as the pacesetter w/ better results in the longrun. I will be getting rid of my exhaust after christmas and going with a 3" system since I will be turbo by then.

On the 2G's our stock exhaust piping is the exact same, the only difference is the turbo cars have an extra resonator and their muffler flows better. I dont know if it is like that on the 1G's or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back