The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A P0505 Code help please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacwegman

Probationary Member
Mar 2, 2012
Harvest, Alabama
Well I recently bought a 99 Auto Eclipse RS with 137,XXX miles on it. I love the car, but I bought it at a discount with the CEL on with fixing the code in mind. The code it's throwing is p0505 Idle Control System malfunction.

It idles at about the right levels but idles rough. The RPM is sluggish to return back to idle when revving, and sometimes sputters and stalls when going into reverse or accelerating from a stop. The RPM will also dip a little bit when switching from Neutral, Reverse, or Drive. It's gotten bad to the point where it wont start up without giving it some gas.

I recently replaces the IAC valve but that didn't clear the code, and it doesn't idle any better or worse. I looked at the throttle valve but that seemed to be clean. What should I be looking for to fix this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate! Thanks!:thumb:

I'm no mechanic, but my sister had similar issues with her GST. Hard to start, had to give it gas and crank it a few times. We changed he IAC Valve and then her TPS. The car idles great now and starts on the first try.

Hmm thanks for the fast reply! I did a quick google search on the TPS and it looks like it can cause rough idle, hesitation, and jerking, which I sometimes experience. Now I just have to figure out if it can throw a p0505 code.

By description that code (P0505) is an idle speed contol circuit code for a N/A.

"DTC P0505 (MIL 25): IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC) MOTOR CIRCUIT FAILURE
DTC Set Criteria
Battery voltage is 10 volts or more. Ignition switch is on. Code will set if short or open circuit is detected in IAC motor circuit for 3 seconds."

Have you ohmed out the idle speed motor?

LOL I have the same code for my spyder, your lucky thought the iacv is only 60-80 bucks mine is 250+

I ended up purchasing an entire 2nd car that was still driveable and on the road because parts in Canada are hard to locate & silly expensive. The things we do to keep our whips on the road....almost as bad as children. :p

i recently just had the same code pop up on me also. it does want to stall when slowing down as im coming to a light and putting it in neutral, and it has recently started requiring me to use a little gas when starting the engine up. it is also dropping in rpms a little when i try and start from a stop. what parts should i get to fix this and also where could i order them from?

Thanks.

i called up O'Reilly and asked them about the IAC valve, and the TPS and they wanted several hundred dollars for each part

You might want to check the wires to the IAC valve. I have the same code popping on my Eclipse Spyder, already replaced the IAC valve and the code still pops up, my mechanic thinks that the connector (or pigtail) wire harness is bad, i ordered one already, once the new wire harness is installed, if it erases the code i will post it on this thread.

Any update on this?? I have a 2.4L 97 Spyder with the P0505. replaced the IAC and the code is still there.

Chris

At autozone the IACV was 81 dollars? Can anyone give me more info on adjusting it? Like how do I get it to the stock settings?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back