The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G P0340 code Crank no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strill_

Probationary Member
Feb 28, 2022
orlando, Florida
So I saw this post and determined this is most likely why my car isn't starting but I'm still confused. I'm getting the P0340 code and no spark on cly 2 and 3, so I changed my cam position sensor and still nothing so how do I fix my CAS or what part is it.

"With a faulty CAS you will get a P0340 code, fuel but no spark on 2 cyl. (ususally 1 and 4 but can be 2 and 3.

With a faulty Crank sensor you will get no spark on any cyl. and no fuel to any cyl.

There are instructions on how to check both of these in the Haynes or Chiltons manual and it tells you what ranges the signal voltage should be in, etc.

Shauna"

So I saw this post and determined this is most likely why my car isn't starting but im still confused. I'm getting the p0340 code and no spark on cly 2 and 3, so i changed my cam position sensor and still nothing so how do I fix my CAS or what part is it.

"With a faulty CAS you will get a PO340 code, fuel but no spark on 2 cyl. (ususally 1 and 4 but can be 2 and 3

With a faulty Crank sensor you will get no spark on any cyl. and no fuel to any cyl.

There are instructions on how to check both of these in the Haynes or Chiltons manual and it tells you what ranges the signal voltage should be in, etc.

Shauna"
Since it's obd2 you can scan and test parts with a handheld code scanner. I had a similar problem with my 1g, would run perfect, then out of nowhere would sputter and run really rough. Would lose 2 cylinders. In my case it was the power transfer unit. Changed that and good as new. Hope this helps. Also I'm currently doing some maintenance on my 1990 eagle talon TSI AWD, so if you need any tips dm me. Good luck with your build.

Since it's obd2 you can scan and test parts with a handheld code scanner. I had a similar problem with my 1g, would run perfect, then out of nowhere would sputter and run really rough. Would lose 2 cylinders. In my case it was the power transfer unit. Changed that and good as new. Hope this helps. Also I'm currently doing some maintenance on my 1990 eagle talon TSI AWD, so if you need any tips dm me. Good luck with your builds
Since it's obd2 you can scan and test parts with a handheld code scanner. I had a similar problem with my 1g, would run perfect, then out of nowhere would sputter and run really rough. Would lose 2 cylinders. In my case it was the power transfer unit. Changed that and good as new. Hope this helps. Also I'm currently doing some maintenance on my 1990 eagle talon TSI AWD, so if you need any tips dm me. Good luck with your build
Since it's obd2 you can scan and test parts with a handheld code scanner. I had a similar problem with my 1g, would run perfect, then out of nowhere would sputter and run really rough. Would lose 2 cylinders. In my case it was the power transfer unit. Changed that and good as new. Hope this helps. Also I'm currently doing some maintenance on my 1990 eagle talon TSI AWD, so if you need any tips dm me. Good luck with your build.
Couldn't find any videos on how to change the ptu but I’ll order a new one and give it a try. I’ll let you know what happens. 🤘

On your car i think it's close to the coils. Looks like a game boy cassette. I'm gonna scour around see if I can find a picture of it in the car. Before you spend the money I recommend checking the code for it first.

Looks like it's a generic code. Find information on which wire goes to the CPS from the ECU. Check for continuity from the ECU to the CPS. There are also some tests you can perform with a multimeter. Someone else recommended that you get a Haynes manual. Great idea. Also check to make sure the wiring is all intact while you are checking continuity.

So what's happening with your car?
still nothing, I don't have a multimeter at the moment to test stuff so basically im just gonna order a PTU and hope for the best.

I was just diving normal sitting at a light then I take the turn and my car just sputtered out and shut off. still cranks and sounds strong but wont start. Did a spark test and I'm not getting an spark on cylinders 2 and 3. I replaced my coil packs and cam positioning sensor and still nothing so for now I'm just gonna try to put a new PTU and if that doesn't work idk.

When you turn the key to the on position but not to crank the starter, are you seeing the check engine light on the dash ? It ought to illuminate when you turn the key.

Did this start all the sudden or did you replace/change something? I was thinking if youve installed 97-99 harness/cps you have to swap ignition coils around, but if it started all the sudden, have you switched spark plugs/coils around to try if 'no Spark's follows either or? And is it misfire codes you get or actual spark on spark plug? Check grounds and clean them if possible

Just changed the ptu and still nothing. Not sure what to do now :/

Did this start all the sudden or did you replace/change something? I was thinking if youve installed 97-99 harness/cps you have to swap ignition coils around, but if it started all the sudden, have you switched spark plugs/coils around to try if 'no Spark's follows either or? And is it misfire codes you get or actual spark on spark plug? Check grounds and clean them if possible
did you read this?

So far I have changed the cam shaft position sensor, fuel pump, PTU sensor, ignition coils, spark plugs and wires. Still nothing, I’m starting to think my timing went out and bent the valves but idk. Still not getting spark on only cylinders 2 and 3

So far I have changed the cam shaft position sensor, fuel pump, PTU sensor, ignition coils, spark plugs and wires. Still nothing, I’m starting to think my timing went out and bent the valves but idk. Still not getting spark on only cylinders 2 and 3
I mean did you change anything before it stopped cranking?

did you read this?
I mean did you change anything before it stopped cranking?
I just saw your post but no I haven’t changed anything it just randomly died while I was driving and I checked most of the grounds I could find and yes I switch the plugs around and it’s just the 2 middle cylinders that don’t spark

According how you've changed almost everything and if wiring harness is good, it's your ECU, ignition off take your multimeter and on obd port, measure pin 3 & 11, if resistance (ohm) is more than 60, your ECU is bad

Actually just koio key on ignition off and self test. You ought to see cel light up for 5 seconds, then turn off. If not then ECU is bad. No tools required

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back