1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Owning a modified DSM in Virginia

Posted by jinscho, Jun 10, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Hey all. I recently received a job offer that would require a relocation from Northeast PA down to the Fredericksburg area of Virginia. Upon doing some research, it seems that I'm going to have to do some backtracking on some of the mods done to my Spyder (along with adjusting some of the plans I had for my GST conversion).

Before jumping the gun and reverting the car back to near-stock condition, I wanted to get some feedback from any current VA residents on what it's really like to own a modified car in the commonwealth.

Are the loud exhaust laws really THAT crazy? What is the inspection process like? Will I be failed in an area that doesn't do emissions testing for an Emissions delete (I can keep the cat if needed.. really wanted to toss the charcoal canister and clean up the vacuum lines). Also... WTF is with the mobile emissions testing stations I saw randomly around the Alexandria/Springfield area?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! I'm very likely going to take the job and move down that way, but would hate to have to dump money into the car to return it to such a boring state of being..

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. jamel16

jamel16 Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2004
    Richmond, Virginia
    Honestly the Virginia laws are not that strict for modified cars, well not at least in Richmond. Loud exhaust, it’s a couple of evo 8 and wrx’s running around here with blast pipes. I honestly think if your ride had a nice tone and isn’t obnoxious you will be fine. As far as state inspection, I inquired about this a couple of months ago and the technician told me he really only looks for catalytic converters and we don’t have emission testing down here.

jamel16

647  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Just get a .PO. box in Pennsylvania and keep it plated in that state.

Drag Race Build 2K  16

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.