The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Overheating when AC is on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epreski7

Proven Member
Aug 17, 2014
Oviedo, Florida
Today I noticed my car was overheating when I pulled into the school parking lot cause I smelled coolant. When I got home and opened the hood I noticed the driver side radiator fan wasn't turning on and the passenger one stayed on whether the ac was on or off. So I looked it up and figured out the driver side was the ac fan. My question is can I use the fan from a 4g63 car because when I looked it up the ac fan assembly for the 4g64 is $167 while the one for the 4g63 is around $70. I don't understand why there a $100 difference there when there almost identical engines and I'm almost certain the radiators are the same. If not how do you guys think one of those universal radiator fans would work.
P.S. Only overheats when AC is on

The stock fans with their shrouds provide better cooling than any aftermarket ones.

However you can just wire in my "fan override" (just 1 switch) and not have to buy anything if you wish to force them on when engine is running: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/cooling-issue-plus-wiring-them-up.273645/#post-151319397.

Or if you always want the ECU to turn both fans on/off together, leave out the switch but tie ECU pins 20 and 21 together (and leave them still going to the ECU).

Last edited:
I would do what luv2rallye suggested, a free solution to your problem and your engine will run cooler!

I agree with luv2rallye that the factory fans have better cooling than any aftermarket fan you can buy. I've been through many SPAL fans a dive now gone back to one OEM fan, but have no room for a second (A/C fan) one.

Alright thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'm going to do the measurements and see if the one in mine is the same as the one in a 4g63 and 420a and ill just buy and oem one if not im going to hit the junkyard and pull it from a gs spyder that's been there a while.

I had gotten an SPAL fan, the largest one that I could fit between the radiator and turbo. It worked for about 6 months before the heat from the turbo melted it. epreski7, I'm in the same boat as you, if I run the A/C the water temps will go up to 130 and beyond.

I had gotten an SPAL fan, the largest one that I could fit between the radiator and turbo. It worked for about 6 months before the heat from the turbo melted it. epreski7, I'm in the same boat as you, if I run the A/C the water temps will go up to 130 and beyond.
Yea sadly I don't have a turbo so I don't think id have to worry about it melting but I have to figure something out since driving without AC in florida is complete hell especially since I have black leather

You mean 230 ?

And Op, i hear you i live in FL and my ac is awesome, except i cant use it because it overheats.

Building/ adapting a heat shield may help keep the fans safe, i have something im working on to finally beat the heat. Ill drop back in and let you know.

I wrapped my exhaust with high temp wrap, i made a heat shield with sheet metal, and lined the shield with high temp blanket all this helped lower my overall temps, and it takes longer for me to over heat then before with A/c on, i still have to slide a small 8' fan in the tight space to see if it helps the other 3 fans i already have working. hopefully some of this can enlighten you.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You mean 230 ?

And Op, i hear you i live in FL and my ac is awesome, except i cant use it because it overheats.

Building/ adapting a heat shield may help keep the fans safe, i have something im working on to finally beat the heat. Ill drop back in and let you know.
Yea mine works awesome too but it overheats quickly since the ac fan doesn't work. Would doing a wrap and shield like that have any affect on mine since its not a turbo?

Miliman13, yeah sorry I did mean 230 and it would go higher if I didn't turn off the A/C

To the OP, there are a couple supported vendors on here that sell lava exhaust blankets. They are made for each specific exhaust manifold and you would just slip it on and wire it one with stainless steel wire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back