The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Overheating on idle (Stops when rev)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polverari

5+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2018
São Paulo, South_America
(As I always do, I apologize for any translation errors)

I have a 2g GST and I am recently having overheating problems.
Basically, the car only gets hot when I'm idling. Even with the radiator fan on (starting at 195 ºF), it keeps heating up.
What I noticed is that if I keep the car stopped, however, revs to 2000 RPM, the temperature starts to fall and returns to normal (under 194º F)
Like, if I start to ride the car, the temperature will also return to normal.

1 - The car is currently without a thermostatic valve. (I removed it, to test if it could be the problem)
2 - The water pump is relatively new (Gates), it is about two years old.
3 - The car is using coolant additive (a simple one [Paraflu] but is using)
4 - The radiator is made of aluminum, I bought it on eBay and has about two years of use, as well as the water pump
5 - Many and many tests were done on the head and all the car repairs shops told me that they did not find any abnormalities. (Compression test [150-150-150-145], tightness test, a series of tests that I will unfortunately not know how to write in English. They use a screwdriver to try to found water in cylinders, they injected compressed air into the radiator cap and cylinders, etc.)

Is there a way for me to "test that the water pump is good" without having to remove it to inspect?

I have some ideas in mind, but I would like to see your opinion, maybe I can get some valuable tips before I go for more hard and expensive solutions (remove Water Pump, remove the head, etc...)

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-20_21-25-5.png
    upload_2021-1-20_21-25-5.png
    312 bytes · Views: 37
I've had this problem in the past & what fixed it for me was buy a new radiator cap. Car would get hot when stopped but would cool down to normal when driving or if I rev'd while stopped. I only buy Mitsubishi radiator caps now because I've experienced leak spring on the aftermarket caps.

I've had this problem in the past & what fixed it for me was buy a new radiator cap. Car would get hot when stopped but would cool down to normal when driving or if I rev'd while stopped. I only buy Mitsubishi radiator caps now because I've experienced leak spring on the aftermarket caps.

Thanks! I will order a OEM one right now!

There are other caps (1.4 bar, 1.5 bar)... For "performance cars"
Is it worth?

UPDATE:

I tested a new cap (0.9 bar). Still the same problem
Also i cleaned the radiator inside, it was ok.

I ran about 80 miles today.
First 40 miles = All ok, but when i WOT on 4 Gear, car heats up and dont came back to the normal temperature. I needed to stop, wait, open the radiator cap, fill with 2 liters to go back.
Last 40 miles = I drove as smoothly as possible and the car didn't heat up until I got home

Probably i will remove the head to inspect. I don't know what else I can do

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-22_23-12-10.png
    upload_2021-1-22_23-12-10.png
    312 bytes · Views: 30
  • upload_2021-1-22_23-12-35.png
    upload_2021-1-22_23-12-35.png
    312 bytes · Views: 35
So it got hot when you got home. Was it low on coolant again also? If it was low get a coolant system pressure tester & check to see if you can find a leak that only happens hot & under pressure. Easier than jumping right into pull your head.

So it got hot when you got home. Was it low on coolant again also? If it was low get a coolant system pressure tester & check to see if you can find a leak that only happens hot & under pressure. Easier than jumping right into pull your head.

In both situations, the coolant level has dropped slightly. I returned all the liquid that was in the expansion tank (I don't know the term in English, that small tank). And yet, I managed to add another liter of water.

The question is: Even with 2 liters less, the car would still have 5 liters of coolant. It wasn’t supposed to warm up walking at 60 miles an hour on an empty road ...

That is why I am seriously suspecting that the engine is being compressed into the cooling system.

However, I did this test that you just commented (coolant system pressure tester) and the car repair shop did not find any problem ... This is what intrigues me :-(

Operating temperature should be the middle of the gauge. At that point the fans come on to regulate temperature if needed based on the temperature sensor reading. You should have pressure on both radiator hoses. They should both be within 10-20 degrees of each other. If they aren’t you have an issue with the water pump not circulating the coolant, a thermostat that doesn’t open, or the radiator restricting flow. None of this works in any sort of good way if the system itself isn’t pressurized. Buy a cooling system pressure tester. Apply 15psi to the cooling system and wait at least 30 minutes to check it. If it drops you have a leak. Get a spray bottle and soapy water and hit every hose, pipe and flange.

Sorry for taking too long to answer! Well.. Finally i discover: Head gasket
When gasket have been changed, the guy didnt applied the correct torque spec and the surface paint of the metal head gasket melted...
I dont know if ive explained correctly, but.. that it :(

Btw, now im changing the head gasket and using o'rings on block.

Pic of whats happened:

Attachments

• cdd6c1fd-644d-4898-b7ca-428ff420af12.jpg
    cdd6c1fd-644d-4898-b7ca-428ff420af12.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 66
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back