The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Overheating issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcedOutPinkyRing

Probationary Member
Jun 22, 2018
Gainesville, Georgia
Hi everyone, I've owned my first dsm for about a month now(N/A 420a 5spd). I've recently been having a overheating issue, coolant is fine, I've flushed it many times. Upon further inspection I realized the previous owner didn't even have a radiator fan fuse(HI) in it. I've thought all along I had a bad head gasket(which I probably do because of this). It doesn't overheat til a good 30 min after driving. I would appreciate any input as if this would be the culprit or not. Thanks!

I included a picture below to show which fuses I'm talking about.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Check your radiator cap & make sure it's good & the springs not weak or the gaskets hasn't gotten hard. Also while you were flushing the system did you take out the thermostat & check it to see if it's good as well?

Is the coolant reservoir overflowing after the drive? Bubbles coming up?

Do you smell something sweet after a drive coming from the exhaust?

The above questions are more than likely due to a bad headgasket. Otherwise check the thermostat, make sure the fans come on, and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back