The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Overheating & Exhaust leak....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
Got the Big 16g in and now having some problems,I can't get the downpipe to bolt up to the 02 housing right...so now i have a pretty big exhaust leak,my car today started to overheat a little,well after driving it around for a while i notice it only does this when i boost.My manifold is pretty hot,and what i was thinking is that my exhaust gases are not getting out fast enough(Cause of the leak,or maybe its restricted)causing my car to overheat a little.....And i also had another odd problem...i have been having a little smoke come out of my crankcase breather and oil leaking from around the oil cap,what could cause this?here are some pics....Any help would be great!!!:thumb:

P.S. im changing the thermostat tommorrow

Here is another pic of where my exhaust is leaking.........Would this cause my car to overheat?

No, that exhaust leak should not be causing any overheating. You should fix it though.

Also sounds like you might have a HG problem....

Does it push coolant after you boost?

....Kyle T.

Buy a new gasket for your oil cap, or a new cap, and run a gas filter on your breather instead of the K&N, then run the other end either back where it's supposed to be on the intake, or straight down to the dirt. Smoke out of there is normal, in small amounts.

Originally posted by kpt4321
Does it push coolant after you boost?

Sorry but what do you mean by that?And HG meaning Headgasket right?If i had a blown headgasket wouldn't be leaking oil?(Other than the valvecover)

Defiant-Where can i get a gas filter and is it all i would need,or would i need some rubber hose with it?"Straight down to the dirt"meaning just in the open?I will try out a new oil cap tommorrow,Thanks

Listen to Defient.

What are you doing about tuning? I am assuming that you have all the required upgrades for the 16G. If you improperly tuned, you can overheat the engine.

Was the car fine until the 14G exploded? What was the failure? Perhaps some of the old turbo is lodged in the exhaust (seen THAT before)

if you mean fuel control then nothing now.....my next purchase will be an afc and 550's but money is a little tight right now
Yes the 14b was fine until the it took a sh|t.Well i'm leaving now to replace the thermostat and get the exhaust looked at so i will keep everyone updated,Thanks for your help

if you mean fuel control then nothing now.....my next purchase will be an afc and 550's but money is a little tight right now
Yes the 14b was fine until the it took a sh|t,it popped and then smoked REALLY bad.Well i'm leaving now to replace the thermostat and get the exhaust looked at so i will keep everyone updated,Thanks for your help

Can't get the exhaust dome until tommorrow but i replaced the thermostat and it still overheats......it does not overheat very much though,just a VERY little...could it just be because it is so hot(100 degrees outside?am i missing something that i should have done when i put the 255 and 16g setup in,maybe put in bpr7es plugs(Got bpr6es in now)?I don't think its the water pump because i am not leaking any coolant,maybe the radiator?i also noticed the fan on the drivers side does not come on when it overheats,the one on the passenger side does though,is this normal,if not how would i fix it??Any help would be greatly appreciated,Thanks

P.S. Defiant,Thanks for the info on the cap,it fixed it:thumb:

Since it is not tuned (how much boost are you runing on the stock fuel system?, and there is alot of hot exhaust gas's leaking into the already hot ars engine bay, at low speeds I could see it maybe causeing the engine to get a little warmer than it should.

16psi.......ya its a fairly decent size exhaust leak....and the ext dump dumps right on to my frame,the only other fuel mod is my 255 winebro.Also i unhooked my Crank breather and just hooked up some tubing,and it is shooting a little oil out....is this normal,Thanks again

Well im getting the exhaust redone as we speak with 3" piping....i also noticed an oil leak i now have.well hopefully this will fix my overheating problem...if not i don't know where to go from here.....any more suggestioons?Thanks

Man I got the exact same problem. I am thinking that my exhaust is resticted sending heat back up to my manafoid. I am going to take my exhuast apart tomorrow and see what i can find out.

Ya thats exactly what i think........today after getting my new 3" exhaust put on they started the car on the lift and it leaked oil really bad around the back of my oil filter!so after doing some brainstorming i came up with this:The exhaust leak coming off of where the o2 housing and DP bolt up blows right on to my oil filter,now after blowing all of that hot exhaust gas on the oil filter it busted the seals on the oil filter causing the really bad leak i have,the restricted exhaust is the only thing i can think now that would make me overheat a little,Make sense?Thanks for everyones input:thumb:

ok dude, this may sound weird but i had a similar problem. I had an exhaust leak inbetween the turbo and the manifold, and if you dont know there is a water pipe right behind the turbo on the block, the hot air was blowing right onto that pipe causeing misread tempratures, i dont know but it works now, after i fixed the exhaust leak it fixed that. might have something to do with that?

Thats exactly where i had my exhaust leak. The gasket blew out after i curbed my car when i was forced off the road durring a minor fender bender.

basically your exhaust gases are not existing through your exhaust but after your o2 housing. so all that exhaust heat is being traped in your engine bay. because of this my dip stick melted along with my cooling fan blades. yes it can make your car run hot. it will make everything run hot, your turbo motor, ect... everything in your engine bay will be effected by the exhaust gasses and made hotter.

get that o2 gasket replaced asap.

Exactly, if you have an exhaust leak from the turbo to o2 housing, or o2 housing to downpipe, it will blow very hot air onto your waterpipe right behind there.
Also maybe if the leak is bad enough it would blow onto the radiator also.
Fix the exhaust leak and get a new oil cap, then see if you have any more problems.
Also since you have no fuel mods you arent running more that like 12psi are you?

Also hello...heat sheild...it does serve a purpose you know...one of the reasons they are there are to make your cooling system a cooling system...instead of a heating system. the radiator is right in front of the turbo, manifold, and O2 housing...the hottest parts of the car besides the combustion chamber...I don't know how nobody else said that or why hardly anybody uses them.

Sorry about my ranting and raving...got caught up in the moment:D
Anyway...yeah put the heat shields on...I also have an overheating problem...partly cause I wasn't using the heat shields, mostly cause I have a huge FMIC, and also partly cause there is junk in my cooling system...like rust or something. So I want to flush the whole thing...put a new radiator on, new hoses, heater core(maybe)...everything.

uhh yeh...seems like you fixed your other problems...let us know how you like the new exhaust system...

How bad was the oil leak...It look like I'm leaking from my Oil Filter as well...and I leak like 1/2 a quart a week...I know there is a slight leak from the oil feed line to the turbo but I don't think it is that bad...it just drips.

Well i put the heat sheild back on.....the guy that did the piping on my car is going to get the exhaust leak fixed for me tommorrow,while doing that i will change the oil filter and all of the oil.....hopefully(crossing both fingers)this will fix all of my problems:thumb: ....as for the oil leak it seemed really bad when they finished the exhaust,but now its not bad at all.tommorrow i will know exactly whats going on,i'll keep everyone posted,thanks for concern's and help:talon: :dsm: :laser:

There is the possibility that the old oil filter seal is on there along with the new oil filter seal. It could be something as simple as that.

ok...i got the car back today and they fixed the exhaust leak(Sounds awesome).the car drove fine and did not leak any oil as far as i seen,it didn't overheat but still ran a liiiiitle hotter than i wanted it to,the only other thing that i could think of is my external dump,has anyone had a similar problem before?Thanks

ok i got my ext dump extended so it would not blow right onto my frame and around my radiator,but it still seems to get a little hot,i'm not sure what else it could be,any ideas?here is a pic..

i am going to flush the st|t out of my radiator tommorrow,hopefully that will work if not should i start looking into a fluidine radiator?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back