The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Overboosting with wastegate hooked straight to manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpatofpa

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
collegeville, Pennsylvania
hello all, i have a 2g tsi awd and no hair left. e316g ported wastegate and turbine housings, ported for flapper arm(so it can open more) 3inch turbo back
safc 560cc's fmic.
I was running 17psi with no issues, have a little bov flutter, After doing research for a friends car i realized i had my hallman hooked up backwards also had everything running off the intake manifold for my pressure source. Stupid me, I drilled and tapped the compressor housing for a pressure reference. Re tubed everything correctly, dedicated line from the manifold to bov, mbc source from the comp. housing.
took it for a drive now it overboosts up to about 25 psi. i turned the mbc all the way out same problem. put every thing back as i found it when it was good at 17 psi. same problem. tried a different mbc same problem.
So im thinking its the wastegate, take out mbc and ran a line from the pressure source directly to the wastegate , and it decreased to about 21-22 psi. I put shop air to the wastegate actuator it actuates between 10-15 psi, and travels
0.5" all with no leaks. when i take the wastegate rod off the flapper arm , the flapper arm travels about 1" due to the porting. do i need to extend the actuator rod? why was it running good at 17psi before i f***** with it? somebody please help before i blow this thing up. btw turbo and gate are genuine mhi and have ~5k mi on them:ohdamn::ohdamn::ohdamn::banghead::banghead:

Sounds like there might be an issue with the new pressure source. My guess would be its either blocked or flowing too little air to keep up (Hallman MBC is a bleeder type). You could hook your boost gauge to the pressure source and pressurize the intake like a BLT. Quickly remove and reattach the gauge to see how fast it reaches 10psi. If its less than instant, then I would reinspect the new boost fitting.

I agree. When you drilled and taped the hole, where did you put it? How big? Made sure it's drilled all the way through?

New pressure. Source is drilled and tapped into the compressor housing just below jpipe flange. However now I have it hooked up to the intake manifold, and still overboosting. Hole is clean, all the way thru.1/8 inch npt. Still overboosts when hooked up to the intake manifold. As the pressure source.

Try changing the whole line. It's sounding like there may be a small hole in the line or possibly plugged up with something.

Also make sure there's no leaks where the line attaches to the wga.

Ok. I took the whole Turbo off and put shop air to the wastegate. The flapper only opens about 20 to 30 degrees, but its ported to swing about 90 degrees. Could this be my problem?
there is nothing physically obstructing the flapper or arm inside the turbine housing. I thought about extending the actuator rod but that will introduce lag as the flapper will be partially open, right? An actuator. With more travel not a longer rod is the only solution I can see. Any ideas?

That's there normal range of movement, 20-30*. You can do the peepers mod for more travel, but it's not likely your sole issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back