The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

over reved?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iboost

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2007
Colrado Springs, Colorado
so yesterday i messed up shifting and went from the top of third in to second. :cry:but i kicked the clutch back in and took it out right away. but now in any gear if it goes past 3k rpms there is like a spining/knocking noise and also when i let off the throttle. my car is a 92 laser awd, with a 2.3 stroker, 18g, aem ems with spped density so no intake, and some cheesy exaust. does anyone know what happend? there was no smoke and no oil is leaking. any help is appreicated. thanks

2.3, eagle rods, wiseco pistons.
18g turbo on 20lbs
190lph fule pump
650cc injectors
AEM EMS
3bar map sensor
no intake
act 2100 clutch
Turbo back 2.75 exaust

The car did overheat once since the rebuild, the thermostat stuck. The head was milled .007”, and I recently had the rings replaced because the oil rings were apparantly damaged when it overheated and it was using more oil than normal. Everything else was undamaged. Every cylinder reads full compression

R-B???
yeah it definatley the motor.

okay, i will pull the oil pan tonight, if it is rod bearings how do i fix/replace them?

i think the noise is coming from the top of the motor, bbut im not sure is there a way to tell?

and thank you guys for all your help.

Hey...

I did the exact same thing a while back when I was racing my buddy LOL. Accidently went from 3rd to 2nd :coy: (hey it happens.....just not anymore tho, i mean shit, you learn from your foolish mistakes!) ha ha

Anyway, what was happening to me after that incident is anytime after 4500rpm's, the car would make this weird fluttering noise, and power just fell off.

Know what it was? I popped a rocker. Yup, just popped off, and was chilling down there next to a valve spring (can you imagine the imminent, catastrophic failure that could've caused?)
Needless to say, I was VERY lucky...

So, sourced a rocker from another motor, and booyah, everything back to normal.

My advice: Just take off your valve cover and have a peek. Its the simplest thing you can do right now in terms of diagnosing (without having to dig further)

So good luck with that, and hey, things could've been much, much worse (like the top of your pistons kissing your valvetrain) :(

....There was another thing I forgot to mention. Although the popped rocker was the 'main' cause, it wasnt the only problem:

I forgot to mention that I also may have stretched my timing belt a little, OR skipped a tooth....
I remember cause even after putting in the rocker, the car felt very sluggish. Something was still wrong.
Checked my timing marks, and they were off, so in the process ended up doing the whole timing belt job (it was due anyway), and THEN, everything was back to normal!

Yeah I forgot to mention that! So if you find there are still drivability issues, bring your crank to TDC, and chk the marks.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a compression test, just to help in ruling out possible valve damage (i.e bent)

Cheers

If its your bearings then the motor will have to come out. The clearence between the rod or main and the crank will not be right. You will have to pull the crank out take it to a machine shop and have it turned and the right bearings will have to be bought. Do this get a strong magnet drain the oil stick the magnet in the oil if there is a bunch of metal shavings Im sorry my frined its a rod or main bearing.

yeah it sounds like yours with the fluttering noise. like a weird sounding blow off. but ill check that before i drop the oil pan. no i dont think it has aftermarket springs and retainers. but if whatever the noise is messed up the top end im gonna upgrade all of it, which i planned on doing anyway. just not this soon. thanks again for everyones help. i will keep this updated as i check. hopefully im as lucky as you are witht the rocker popping out.!! ill post up here later tonight

Sounds like the bearings. My buddy and I used to race Dirt bikes. Simple enough they really have the same principles. and there alot easier to tear apart. Anyway. we were running and his bike was pinged out. all the way. we started going down a hill the bike sped up and all of a sudden the thing just lost all power. It would run but not over a few rpms. Turns out what happened is he over revved the motor and seized up a bearing on the crank. It sounded really horrible when it happened. Anyway our cars hold up pretty well to over revving. Hopefully you had some good oil in there when it happened. Check the head like the other guy said as a start. and if not. looks like your gonna have to tear it apart.

i just took the valve cover off and nothing is out of place. there is no chunks of metal or anything, i dont know what else to look for while the over is off... so what do you guys think is my next step?
thanks for the quickness of your answers

Drop the oil pan see there is any metal just chillin in there. If there is the rod or main bearings are toast. The crank might be salvageable but only a machine shop can tell you that. I have had two motors that spun rod bearings one was a stock the other a fully built. The fully built had only 1500 miles. I had to pull the motor and take it up to machine shop. I thankfully got a warranty I could have turned the crank. Bought oversized bearings but i declined that route. I had to hunt down a virgin 6 bolt crank that just needed to be micropolished. Its all in the car now. So far 24psi on 60trim and its fun as hell

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back