The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Over heating issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz99

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2005
Zeeland, Michigan
I've been having an issue with my car overheating. The car does indeed push coolant, even at idle. It's a constant stream from the drain tube and never stops. I haven't noticed any coolant in the oil or vice versa. Also, I'm getting white smoke from the exhaust, cylinders(when I remove the spark plugs), catch can, and oil cap.

I've checked compression and it's 180 across the board, replaced tstat and radiator cap, "burped" the coolant, checked the radiator for a clog/flushed, and checked torque on the headstuds. I also pressure tested the cooling system and it won't hold any pressure. I could not trace where the pressure was leaking from.

I'm stumped, if anyone has any suggestions please throw them at me!

If that is the case, then you have a blown HG, the only thing that does not fit is the 180 compression

Ahhhh ok... How was the head milled? Was the block milled at the same time?

I don't know how the head was milled. It was brought to a machine shop that my buddy uses. He did it for me while I was deployed. That machine shop does all his work and he works on a lot of DSMs and Evos. The block was not though.

fill the cooling system and do a leak down test . watch for the antifreeze to rise as you put pressure in the cylinders . that is the best test you can do to check for a blown head gasket

It is very possible that you have a blown HG or like bogus said the surfaces were not decked properly. A minor HG leak might not show up on a compression test because it could be so minor that 180 psi of compression is not enough to push air in to the cooling system but when the engine is running the combustion crests allot more pressure then 180 psi which could be just enough to push air in to the cooling system.

I've had a similar problem before. I could drive my all day without any overheating issues as long as I didn't boost on it but as soon as I would do few good pulls the water would start to come out from the over flow tank and the car would start to overheat. When I pulled the head off the gasket looked fine on both sides but when I when I pulled the metal layers apart I could clearly see that fine coating that they put on the two outside layers was missing in one spot going right in to a water port. It wasn't much but it was enough to leak air in to cooling system under high pressure.

Would a hg leak so minor that you can't see it on a compression test be able to push a constant stream out of the reservoir drain tube even before the car gets to normal operating temp? Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm really wondering.

Last edited:
I think it is possible and maybe bogus can reflect on this. Sometimes a leak will require an X amount of pressure before it will allow air through. An example of that would be your FPR (fuel pressure regulator). If your FPR is set to 43 psi but your fuel pump was only able to feed 20 psi then the regulator would never bypass any fuel, not until the pressure would exceed 43 psi. Of course a HG leak is not a FPR :) but it could act the same way. If the leak requires 250 psi of pressure to actually let air through then 180 psi compression test will not be effected.

What did you torque the head bolts too? If you are using ARPs and torqued them to 80 then I would retorque them to about a 100 and see if anything changes. A friend of my had a problem with his car similar to my but in his case he was running 40+ psi of boost on HX52. He was using L19s torqued to 100. He told me that instead of pulling the head he wanted to give something a try so he torqued the head bolts to 125 and his problem went away. Of course that's not the best solution but it worked in his case.

My L19s are torqued to 100.

You guys think it can be a crack in the head? That's the only thing that's making sense to me right about now. How can I check for that?

I will +1 for the head gasket issue. My car was running perfectly, but was pushing coolant ever so slightly that I would run low on coolant, but it didn't effect performance what-so-ever. I have also heard that the MLS gaskets need PERFECT mating surfaces to work and not leak.

Also, you just did the HG, and in troubleshooting anything, you need to ask "What changed"....

-Scott

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back