The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Outside door handle does not work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan_zdon

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2021
Isanti, Minnesota
Just replaced my outside door handle and now it won’t open. As you can see it moves the rod but where it connects with the 2nd sliding part it does not move.

Any ideas on why or if it’s because I do not have the green lock cylinder connector connected?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a temporary fix, you could get a thick quality zip tie. And put it in that slotted area at the end of the rod coming from the door handle. If you have a 3d printer, design something that can occupy that small space which is secured with a screw or bolt. Whatever the design will allow. The car I'm restoring right now has this same issue. It's got zip ties in it for now so I can open the doors. I have looked all over and can't find a solid solution for this myself.

I've had that issue on every handle I've ever replaced. The trick is to bend the tang that connects to the rod on the handle itself. You have to be careful as it's easy to break the handle. Look at the metal tang where the rod connects on the handle. It's kind of an L shape. Put some vice grips on one side and use a pair of pliers on the other to bend it. I can't remember which way to bend it right now but looking at it you'll see. You're actually twisting it so that the hole for the rod is lower. That way the rod is closer and takes up some of that slack. You can also fine tune it so that the latch opens by only lifting the handle halfway instead of all the way like most handles are setup and that will take some stress off of the handle and help it last longer. Also if by green lock cylinder you mean the lock that keeps the rod from falling out, yes you want that in there it helps take up some slack and keeps the rod from falling out. It's a pain to change everything but once you get it figured out it goes quick .. sort of haha. I might have a handle that I can post pictures of so you can see exactly what I mean but I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon.

I had too put a bolt in the sliding rod in the door release mechanism like described in the link above. I also used zip ties around the bolt to prevent metal on metal contact, and then lubricated the mechanism with silicon spray.

Lubricating the mechanism itself really helped with the ease of pulling the handle. If I had too guess the mechanism lacking lubrication is what caused the door handle to break the first time

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back