The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Outlander brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakroda

Proven Member
May 3, 2016
İstanbul, Europe
Hello everyone
I know there are a lot of information about brake upgrade I am from Turkey and Dollar currency is so high in here that's why I don't have second chance about buying new caliper:) I hope you understand me.

Here is the first question.
I will do Outlander brake upgrade so I read many article about this issue. Everybody says I should use 2005 Outlander brake calipers but there is a package for Outlander?
Which engine? 2.0 or 2.4
Which model? Mt Turbo or auto models?
If you give me clue about this issue I will be very happy ..

My other question is.
I have 16 inch spark alloys so this upgrade will be fine on my alloys?
thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here in America, we only have the 2.4 option so I would choose that one.
thanks for this information we have 2.4 auto and 2.0 turbo engine models as you know Evo 8 engine...so if i find 2005 outlander calipers I don t have to buy bracket Am I right? sorry missunderstanding but I don t want my money to lose it for a trash:)

I don't know why you couldn't use the Outlander calipers also however a little research suggests to me that they use the larger pistons same as 3000gt non turbo. I have used these calipers and 93-94 DSM calipers and didn't notice much difference.

First of all I can not find DSM parts in my country. There is a no part in here that s why I need to use similar part which one matches with my 90 Talon. I don t want to be stressed about finding part:) Postage cost is so high to Turkey and Dollar currencies is high also 1 dollar is 20 turkish liras.

I spent 2 Eagle Talon's budget for this stupid car but I never give up I finish what I start, so this is my effort, nobody understands me. They say get rid of it, but when I ask something here, everyone makes fun of me, it makes me sad so that's why I need clear answers.

First of all I can not find DSM parts in my country. There is a no part in here that s why I need to use similar part which one matches with my 90 Talon.
Multiple calipers will fit that mounting bracket but not your stock calipers. If you're trying to upgrade as stated you need brackets and rotors from the Outlander. For calipers you have some choices. Easiest is 93-94 AWD DSM. Must be AWD, the FWD cars used single piston calipers. The 3000GT FWD calipers also bolt on but the piston sizes are slightly different. Outlander calipers will bolt up but you would have to look and see if there are brake line differences.

Man, I feel your pain - I'm from EU and I did this upgrade for my 1G Eclipse with ABS two years ago, so I saved all the part numbers just in case.

What you will need is:
2x brackets: MR307282
1x left caliper: MR370775
1x right caliper: MR370776
2x 294mm rotors (I have installed Brembo rotors 09.A738.11, but you can find something similar)
2x brake lines to replace old lines, as now your calipers are going to have banjo bolt connection (look for the line which has one side as Swivel Circlip Female - M10 x 1.00 another side is M10x1.00 banjo bolt, I ordered custom-made from UK, 40 cm length should be more than enough)

If you have ABS like I do, you will have to machine down inner side of the rotor on a lathe by 2mm at ~45 degree angle (5 min work, if you find the right people). Most likely you can find some rotor model from other brand which is going to fit bolt-on.

In my case, I ordered used brake calipers which were with brackets already from Ebay, if you are buying new ones, then you will have to buy brackets and calipers separately.
I also didn't have to change brake booster, everything is almost bolt-on :D
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Man, I feel your pain - I'm from EU and I did this upgrade for my 1G Eclipse with ABS two years ago, so I saved all the part numbers just in case.

What you will need is:
2x brackets: MR307282
1x left caliper: MR370775
1x right caliper: MR370776
2x 294mm rotors (I have installed Brembo rotors 09.A738.11, but you can find something similar)
2x brake lines to replace old lines, as now your calipers are going to have banjo bolt connection (look for the line which has one side as Swivel Circlip Female - M10 x 1.00 another side is M10x1.00 banjo bolt, I ordered custom-made from UK, 40 cm length should be more than enough)

If you have ABS like I do, you will have to machine down inner side of the rotor on a lathe by 2mm at ~45 degree angle (5 min work, if you find the right people). Most likely you can find some rotor model from other brand which is going to fit bolt-on.

In my case, I ordered used brake calipers which were with brackets already from Ebay, if you are buying new ones, then you will have to buy brackets and calipers separately.
I also didn't have to change brake booster, everything is almost bolt-on :D
I hope this helps.
thanks for reply
If i buy this set I don t have to buy anything except 294mm rotor Am I right? caliper bracket comes with this caliper..I will just buy 294 rotors.. by the way I dont have ABS because my talon is 90 model..

thanks for reply
If i buy this set I don t have to buy anything except 294mm rotor Am I right? caliper bracket comes with this caliper..I will just buy 294 rotors.. by the way I dont have ABS because my talon is 90 model..
Well, you still need new lines as these are cut :)

thanks for reply

If you're buying those exact calipers you can see as mentioned above they are banjo style and 100% you will need new lines also.

yes i know I just want to be sure about caliper parts:) I can find banjo lines from here:) let s order these calipers...
thank you for answers and understanding...

Can I use 2G front brake lines with my 1G to install the Outlander front brakes? I'm "gathering" parts to build my 92 Laser AWD once I finish the re-wiring, get the trans back on, and some more basic maintenance.

many people said there is no big diiference that s why i quit this process:)

many people said there is no big diiference that s why i quit this process:)

Over the front brakes on a 90 Talon?

There is a very noticeable difference between the original single piston caliper and the dual piston caliper/larger rotor and the Outlander upgrade moves the dual piston caliper farther out with an even larger rotor for more leverage.

The dual piston caliper upgrade was one of the best $/performance changes I made and after having to replace multiple front rotors and pads on my GSX I wish I'd known about the change in 93 and done it then.

The dual piston caliper upgrade was one of the best $/performance changes I made and after having to replace multiple front rotors and pads on my GSX I wish I'd known about the change in 93 and done it then.
And the Outlander stuff is about like that upgrade again. It's massive. It's heavy, but MASSIVE stopping power. I used the later Outlander rotors that are rear vented on mine. They are a bit thicker.

Considering that I can lock up all four at will with 245s, I'm not sure the extra weight makes much sense other than as a heat sink. I also don't make too many back to back 100+ MPH stops so I haven't noticed any fade since swapping. The original brakes often made me wonder if they were going to stop the car.

Considering that I can lock up all four at will with 245s, I'm not sure the extra weight makes much sense other than as a heat sink. I also don't make too many back to back 100+ MPH stops so I haven't noticed any fade since swapping. The original brakes often made me wonder if they were going to stop the car.
I've used this setup for quite a few years now on several cars.

For me, it's less about the extra braking, and more with being able to *obtain* the parts. Outlander rebuilt calipers (with brackets), Outlander rotors, and simply changing the lower brake lines to banjo style, and you're back in business for cheap money, and can usually have them in a day or two.

Now...if I can ever get places to fill my orders for rear 1G calipers from 2020....

For me, it's less about the extra braking, and more with being able to *obtain* the parts. Outlander rebuilt calipers (with brackets), Outlander rotors, and simply changing the lower brake lines to banjo style, and you're back in business for cheap money, and can usually have them in a day or two.
So, to help me out and to possibly irritate you a little:

Will swapping my 1G inverted flare brake lines for the 2G banjo-eye bolt style brake lines allow me to bolt up the Outlander calipers? I can infer a "YES" from your quote, but need to be sure before spending more $$ on parts and shipping costs.

Will swapping my 1G inverted flare brake lines for the 2G banjo-eye bolt style brake lines allow me to bolt up the Outlander calipers? I can infer a "YES" from your quote, but need to be sure before spending more $$ on parts and shipping costs.

Yep. :)

Yes? No? Without know exactly what your current front line setup is, that can't be answered with certainty.

I'm not sure what brake lines you currently have on your car. I've seen places making them 1 piece to be cheaper, etc.
This is another reason our lines are just SS copies of the OEM units--they interchange with stock and other companies' lines that replicate the OEM lines.

Stock? Not sure again as I'm not sure if the upper connection on the OEM 2G lower line is a 10x1.00mm thread like the strut hard line on the 1Gs.

If you have a 2 piece SS line setup in the front of your car, I've had lower lines made by themselves to swap out the flange setup to a banjo style lower line. Not on the site, buy shoot me an email and the info as to what your current front line setup it, and I can get you a quote.

https://jnztuning.com/product/jnz-tuning-stainless-braided-brake-line-kit-1g-awd-dsm/ We've offered our complete line setups for the 1Gs with a banjo-style version for about 15 years now, but don't stock *just* the lower front lines in banjo setup, so they would take a day or two to make.

Josh

Yes? No? Without know exactly what your current front line setup is, that can't be answered with certainty.

I'm not sure what brake lines you currently have on your car. I've seen places making them 1 piece to be cheaper, etc.
This is another reason our lines are just SS copies of the OEM units--they interchange with stock and other companies' lines that replicate the OEM lines.

Stock? Not sure again as I'm not sure if the upper connection on the OEM 2G lower line is a 10x1.00mm thread like the strut hard line on the 1Gs.

If you have a 2 piece SS line setup in the front of your car, I've had lower lines made by themselves to swap out the flange setup to a banjo style lower line. Not on the site, buy shoot me an email and the info as to what your current front line setup it, and I can get you a quote.

https://jnztuning.com/product/jnz-tuning-stainless-braided-brake-line-kit-1g-awd-dsm/ We've offered our complete line setups for the 1Gs with a banjo-style version for about 15 years now, but don't stock *just* the lower front lines in banjo setup, so they would take a day or two to make.

Josh
I've checked your site and understand what you're talking about. I'll double-check the brake line configuration on the Laser (it's 23 miles at a friend's work shop). I'd really like just the front lines if possible, but we'll see what happens. Since you helped me out, I'll end up buying more stuff from your store.

Josh
@DSSA I send an email to the page but don't receive answer, do you sell the lines separately?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back