The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Outer Tie Rod Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspekt9

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 25, 2005
Boston, Massachusetts
I'm replacing the outer tie rod on the drivers side and I can't break the jam nut loose, can anyone offer the best way to break it free, should I be turning it toward the rear of the car or front? It seems to be jammed on there pretty good.

Hold the nut with a wrench and turn the tie rod end to the left with another. Use a torch, some PB Blaster, and put on your man muscles :) Those can be a pain to break loose.

So I should disconnect the tie rod end from the assembly then just turn it off the tie rod instead of holding the nut and turning the tie rod?

I had the same problem when changing my outter tierods ...i used a small vise grip to hold the bolt then i turned the nut to the left...## going to have to go really tight on the vise grip to make sure its secure to the bolt...hope that helps. :talon:

don't disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle, its way easier connected. Check the threads and see if your turning the right way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back