The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Out with the old, in with the older

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19TSI95AWD

Since I've been a little more active here lately I figured I'd post up my small build I've had for the past month.

7-31-10:
Traded off my project today unfortunately but I was desperate for a DD driving 120 miles round trip a day for work and winter isn't too far away. So I got myself a 92 TSI AT AWD. 100% stock except for some KYB adjustables with Eibach springs.

1gj.jpg

1gi.jpg

1g.jpg

1gh.jpg

1gg.jpg

1gc.jpg

1gf.jpg

1gd.jpg

Has a little bit of rust on the fenders and a few other small spots but nothing bad at all. Needs a new driver side axle boot, window track needs fixed and a small oil leak needs addressed but doesn't seem like anything major. Took it for a little run down the road and pulled good, weird driving an auto DSM though.

Oh yeah...

I got a bunch of parts with it too:
-SBR G60
-PTE 880's
-Walbro 255
-FMIC
-DSMLink

I think it was a pretty fair trade for what I wanted from my car and where it currently sits. It went back to the original owner Chris Orzech that had it built with a 2.4 35R that trapped low 130's and he plans to do a similar build but with a 2.0.

My plans for it are to get it road ready and then make sure I have every nut and bolt I need to put everything on so I can do it all in a day or 2 instead of another long project. 218k and counting. Compression was 150psi across all 4 when it was cold so it should be rock solid :bigthumb

8-5-10:
Over the past 2 days that are my "weekend" I have gotten this car very driveable. First was replacing both driver side front axle boots $45, got all the lugs on so the car wouldn't shake and make noises doing 5mph. I took it for a drive down my road and back getting on it a little bit and pulled into my driveway and had coolant spewing out of the radiator cap so I figured the pressure valve opened and I had a bad HG but I changed the cap with a new one since the other was dry rotted on the inside and it hasn't leaked any coolant since. I changed the coolant and the oil just a few minutes ago since the oil was pretty low and could definitely use changed. I just took it up the nearest road and got it up to 100 pretty quick with no issues. No oil or coolant leaks after that.

Some of the small things that need fixed are:
-Cracked windshield
-Headunit needs installed
-Coolant temp sensor needs looked over (just went out on the last drive)
-Driver side window track needs fixed
-Valve cover and gasket need replaced

Other than those things it drives pretty good and doesn't seem to have any major problems so the plan is to get the windshield replaced this coming week so I can have it road ready for the shootout. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow before work though nothing has really changed. I'm trying to get a ton of parts coated by next weekend also.

8-7-10:

8-12-10:
Got something else done finally. The bolts on the bottom side are such a PITA to get out but the coated intake manifold is in with a heat barrier gasket. The car started pushing coolant and the fans weren't kicking on so I'm HOPING it's just a bad t-stat and a relay though I can wire the fans to be on all the time if necessary. I'm really hoping to get this thing to the shootout. I should have a few more parts on tomorrow if I can find a 2g MAF connector pigtail around here.

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

8-19-10:
As some people that were at the Shootout know, I switched over to a 2G mani, O2 housing and 16G because the 14B that was on there was smoked. Tons of in and out play and was dumping oil into the exhaust.

Nice being able to work on it at my dad's shop when it can be in and out in a night:
DSMShootout2010043.jpg

Old junk out:
DSMShootout2010038.jpg

A few problems I ran into along the way:

Cracked Manifold:
DSMShootout2010037.jpg

RTV Build up in drain tube and other places:
DSMShootout2010040.jpg

16G, 2G mani, O2 housing:
DSMShootout2010041.jpg

DSMShootout2010047.jpg

I also ran into some cooling problems lately. I replaced the radiator cap, thermostat, flushed it all, different radiator, thermo sensor and fans and everything seemed fine on the way to the Shootout. Got into Norwalk and problems once again! I figured it was just my blown fan fuse that was causing the issues of me overheating in traffic. Thankfully Rob and Jason brought me some coolant to get me back to the hotel. I drove it to the track the next day with no issues at all. On the way home though about 40 miles outside of Norwalk it overheats while cruising so I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point.

Video:

I still have no idea what that noise was as the car was off and the key out of the ignition. It broke the coolant hose from the t-stat to the water pipe and came out of the overflow so I had to rig something up. We got going about 60 more miles and again it happens so I pull over and fill it back up with water and let it cool down but I start to notice water coming from the water pump area all over the road so we get going and fill up about 5 jugs of water and continue to do so all the way home. 4 hour trip turned into 8 hours but now the car is apart and I figured if I'm going to do some of it I might as well do it all so I have gotten:

Autozone NEW Water Pump
Water Pump Gasket
Water Pump O-ring

OEM Timing Belt
OEM Tensioner
OEM Tensioner Pulley
OEM Idler Pulley
BSEK
Front Case Gasket
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Front Crank Seal
Oil Seal

I also need to replace the connecting rod between the wiper motor and the wiper arms since that isn't working and put a new boot on the driver side axle because the inner auto zone one is garbage like I figured so I have a OEM one here to install instead. The car ran rock solid though and didn't miss a beat besides the overheating issue so it should be good to go for a while after all of this. Also got some poly mounts and a Buschur 3" exhaust coming soon.

8-25-10:
Got the new parts in from JNZ. Fast shipping and great people as always! I finally got everything out today. Front case was being a pain to get off but it looks like the timing belt and everything else was done rather recently, oh well though. They had removed the rear balance shaft but left the front one in so that one will be gone in the morning. Transfer case is off, oil pain, etc. Gaskets are drying in copper spray tonight so I can start putting everything back together tomorrow. Damn near everything I took off had RTV on it! So now I have to clean all of that mess up and do it the right way.

164.jpg

165.jpg

218k, stock motor
161.jpg

Things I still need to fix:
Blower Motor
Wiper Arms
Axle Boot (since the Autozone ones are junk)

8-26-10:
Motor coming apart.
Picture152.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Everything looks pretty good to me!
Picture154.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Nothing too bad with the headgasket, a little bit of build up but nothing blown out that has me worried, looks rather fresh too, maybe 10-20k on it but better safe than sorry.
Picture156.jpg

Also got the wipers fixed, the connecting rod somehow popped off of the arms under the plastic cowl.

9-7-10:
Well I'm a fool and snapped my oil feed bolt that goes in the head and ordered a new line but my dumbass didn't change my ebay account address so it shipped to my old apartment at school so I'm going there to pick it up and some other goodies that sent there but here are some pictures from recent.

c9ee238c.jpg

71617341.jpg

fa03c68c.jpg

4f1526b8.jpg

53b1d047.jpg

9-9-10:
Got everything back together, 2G MAF wired in, new oil feed line and a few other things. Fired up right away and died couldn't figure out what was wrong well the brake booster line wasn't connected. Ran a little longer and died again. I'm assuming it's because of the 2G MAF and having 390cc injectors in there but not positive. I have some 550's on the way to clear that up. I still need to pick up my exhaust and poly mounts but I can't drive the jeep 8 hours round trip to do so. There are a few things I plan on picking up soon also. Modding bug bit me already.

Here is a video of it running, you can hear it stutter in the lower RPM's under heavy load. Anything about 3300 or so is fine and will rev right up with no issues but under that it feels like a clogged cat though I know that is not the issue. Most noticeable at 26 seconds I give it about 1/2 throttle and it stutters pretty good.

Here are a few random pictures I snapped when I was pondering the issue:
004-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

Your issue sounds like exactly what my car was doing a few months back when I lived in Vegas and used the a/c frequently. Couldn't figure it out and then got a wideband and one day it started doing it again and noticed it was a rich misfire. If I was over about 3500 rpm or getting on it pretty good it wouldn't do it but other than that studdered pretty bad. Maybe something to look into though.

I do still have them but the drivers seat is ripped bad so they aren't worth much, id rather just use them since they aren't worth selling.

It needs a complete rebuild, wheels are good. I may pick up a kit and rebuild it like I did the 16G that is on it now but it's not really worth rebuilding a 14b except for a spare in case the 16g goes but that's what the BB 50trim is for ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back