The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Other car's stock Intercoolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to be testing a modified duramax fmic.

The core was 39 x 19, but I cut it down to 39 x 12. It literally fills my entire bumper cover.

Guess well see how it works in a couple weeks.

any other ones besides the supra? those are very very hard to get from junkyards. I called around and this one place had 8 wrecked mkIV supras and *every* one had the intercooler gone :(

I'm not going boost crazy...maybe around 10-11psi max on my garrett 3g eclipse

Originally posted by KenTSIII
Porsche 944!!!

But is it possible to make it fit a DSM? They seem easy enough to get.

It's interesting that you don't see 944 owners doing much in the way of intercooler upgrades, even when they go crazy with the turbo/boost.

My friend has one in his 90 he had to cut the front bumper to make it fit, it's about 23" long 6" tall and 5" thick.

i have a 944 turbo intercooler and was thinking about tryinh it, i know it will take some cutting, but its either that or the probe gt intercooler.

deth2u said:
any other ones besides the supra? those are very very hard to get from junkyards. I called around and this one place had 8 wrecked mkIV supras and *every* one had the intercooler gone :(

I'm not going boost crazy...maybe around 10-11psi max on my garrett 3g eclipse

just use a stock dsm sidemount ... those 3gs can only run 10 -11 psi anyways and our stock intercoolers have gone safely to 17+ psi and 300 whp.

I have a stock front mount from a mk3 supra.

Also an audi 5000 fmic is just a little bit smaller than a starquest fmic.bbbbbbb

I've run both and a modded Starion cools better. Enlarge the inlet and outlet. Run min. 2" pipe in and 2.5" pipe out. My results? 12.07@114 with stock engine and big16g.

The MKIII Supra FMIC is trash, don't bother with it. The tank and the fins both are simply not a good design at all.

In reality, none of the intercooler options are that great; either a MK4 SMIC or a Starion FMIC are going to be a huge improvement over stock. They will both make a difference, but to pick and chose is just splitting hairs. I think I would go with the SMIC, just to keep it on the side of the car and not in front of the radiator.

Something like the big duramax intercooler seems like a much better option, but I would need to see the core to give you a better judgement. The FMIC on my car was made from some kind of general core, probably a truck design, that was cut down. The core design looks as good as the cores used in most of the FMIC kits avaliable from DSM vendors.

I just got a guy to cut me down an intercooler.. very inexpensive for the size.. I havent measured it yet but I was going to weld three smic together with a space in between each one to make a fmic but the big diesel ones cut down seem to be the way to go. I took a quarter at community college to use the tig welders. make your own end tanks and weld on the pipe fittings and your set.. just pick where you want the hoses to go

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back