The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Original Price

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2G Josh

Proven Member
Aug 23, 2014
Bloomington, Illinois
Sorry in advance.. I had no idea where to post this.

Well my friend just got financed for 2009 Scion tC and thinks its the shit. He says he could smoke me and blah blah blah. He's nuts. Anyways he said his car was worth more new and I showed him my original window sticker that says it was 27k of the showroom floor (10k more then his lame tC) and he went nuts. Says the car wasn't worth 10k new and kept going. He was salty as hell. But my question is... Were these cars really that exspensive? If so why and what made them that exspensive in the 90's?

See I understand why the tC is cheap... The interior looks cheap. They don't handle for shit. And his car on papaer is barely quicker then a basic 2015 civic. I'm just curious what made our cars worth over 25k in the 90's.

See I understand why the tC is cheap... The interior looks cheap. They don't handle for sh**. And his car on papaer is barely quicker then a basic 2015 civic. I'm just curious what made our cars worth over 25k in the 90's.

What made them desirable is why this, and other forums still thrive to this day. They were on top of list then, as they are still. Look up 'top 10 Japanese sports cars'. I don't agree with some of the list, but I do agree that the GSX belongs on all of them. If you're gonna throw a prelude, mx6 and celica in there then the GST deserves a spot as well. I've driven them all over the years, except the NSX, and I believe the list could be narrowed to top 5 easy, the GSX remains.

f*** a Scion tC! Who picks a tC off the lot when there is the FRS? It isn't quick either, but at least it's attractive and fun to drive. I used to think the Eclipse was a chicks car, until I found out what they could be. The tC is a chicks car, what it will be is forgotten.

Im sure the Gs versions were in the 15-20k. A turbo charged awd vehicle that looked that good in the 90's deserved a decent price. Lots of engineering went into these car as with many back in the day.

Now everything is cheap as it can be, only meant to last a lease or just warranty and as fast as production as possible.

Just got in a 2011 kia sorento v6, 96k miles and blown head gasket. My sisters dodge caravan 4 cyl has crank walked twice now, once at 35k and now at 50k, looking for a different motor on that one... Newer VW's fall apart after 100k faster than you can replace things..

I could go on about new cars, meanwhile my 89 jeep has 269k original miles and my 85 bmw has over 300k, both run great and I beat the crap out of them.

Last edited:
At the time, turbocharged all wheel drive was very rare. (There were a few VERY high end cars that had it and a few not-so-high-end that had it, but it was still rare). There's no doubt about it, the sticker price for a new DSM was definitely on the high end of the scale. Pricewise, there were some domestic heavy hitters that could be had for no more or even less than a DSM. (Think top-of-the-line Mustang, Camaro, etc). Whether Mitsu intended it or not, I think the high price actually appealed to people. I guess the idea was that they were a bit exotic and with the high price not just anyone could afford one. I know when the 1st gens first came out, if you happened to have one, you would get a lot of attention. They weren't common, so they got attention (which I'm sure annoyed the domestic crowd).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back