The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Orca - 11 sec street rippa

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welp! Heard a clack and then a rattle from the motor. Thought F! My motors hurt. Turns out the oil pump balance shaft bearing came loose. How? I have no clue. Really want to keep BS but don’t really know if the bearing will stay put so she’s going BSE. I’m glad my straight cut oil pump gears are good since one of the gears are no longer available.

1633367316269.jpeg
1633367337429.jpeg

1633367368808.jpeg

Reassembled the front case and oil pan trying to flush out left over bearing material. There weren’t many large pieces so pumped about that.
4691B468-A9D4-407A-B8B2-11449570BF99.jpeg

Taking everything apart, clean, new gaskets AGAIN.

Reassembled the front case and oil pan trying to flush out left over bearing material. There weren’t many large pieces so pumped about that.
View attachment 642158

Taking everything apart, clean, new gaskets AGAIN.

Nice man thats awesome! So you have had luck with using an oil pan gasket? I can only get black RTV to seal mine. Where do you buy yours?

Nice man thats awesome! So you have had luck with using an oil pan gasket? I can only get black RTV to seal mine. Where do you buy yours?
I have a spectra oil pan and when you install main studs, it interferes with the oil pan so you have to take a hammer to it LOL. Plus the spectra oil pan didn’t sit completely level when I put it on a flat table. At first I tried just rtv but it leaked. After the paper gasket, it stopped leaking. Got mine from extremepsi, felpro. I’m not 100% sure but I’d imagine you can get one for a 7 bolt.

Got the engine back in a few days ago. Flushed the oil again and stoked to see NO leaks anywhere. Been ripping it the past few days and for a 16g, it's not bad. Very fun tamed street car. Also went back to an oe flywheel and I can't be more happy. Here's a 3rd gear wot pull from today. Can't wait to turn it up on E.

1635688153374.png

Attachments

• log.2021.10.31-02.elg
    12.6 KB · Views: 22
Looks good man! This is the v2 68hta? Airflow looks good! I bet it’s a hard hitting 400whp turbo, especially once your on e85, if my oil pan leaks I may try the fel pro gasket as you did:thumb:

Looks good man! This is the v2 68hta? Airflow looks good! I bet it’s a hard hitting 400whp turbo, especially once your on e85, if my oil pan leaks I may try the fel pro gasket as you did:thumb:
Thanks Jeremy! Yeah V2. My 2g made 407 wheel and this one feels like 380ish now on the butt dyno. On E, I trapped 120mph so it should be very close to my 2g. Yeah the oil pan leak was a pain but glad that’s fixed. If you do have to pull it, put it on a brass wire wheel (bench grinder). It gets all the rtv off quick.

What flywheel did you have and what difference are you feeling?

Competition lightweight. At first it smoked the clutch just getting up my driveway but that went away after putting some miles on it. Most annoying thing was it would stall if I came to a sudden stop. Thought it was my tune but after reading up on it, it’s a characteristic of a lightweight flywheel. Lastly, I had to relearn how to launch it. Love the stock fw!

Looks great! I have a new one due to the fact i turned one of the metal tubes into a twizzler trying to break it free after 20+ years of oldness LOL
Oh yeah. I remember replacing the pump on my 2g. It wasn’t fun without a lift LOL

Picked up a used fluidampr so I don’t have to ever worry about it coming apart again. Wish I had knew to trim the timing cover while I had it out. It does hurt just a lil bit since that was new. I do feel like it’s smoother at idle with the fluidampr or is it a placebo effect. 🤷🏻
CD61460D-9277-430A-A4FB-4821CB6FA2C4.jpeg
41A4F312-140F-4EFE-9FBE-5CB9F77654E6.jpeg

Picked up a used fluidampr so I don’t have to ever worry about it coming apart again. Wish I had knew to trim the timing cover while I had it out. It does hurt just a lil bit since that was new. I do feel like it’s smoother at idle with the fluidampr or is it a placebo effect. 🤷🏻
View attachment 645897View attachment 645898
I hope the damage to the t-cover was light. That is a really nice part. Where did you get yours? Im thinking of getting an. h balancer. I hear the drive a pulley can cause premature bearing ware. Not sure on the severity though.

I hope the damage to the t-cover was light. That is a really nice part. Where did you get yours? Im thinking of getting an. h balancer. I hear the drive a pulley can cause premature bearing ware. Not sure on the severity though.
Got it from classified here. Just had to grind down the two rings
5289B869-F887-4882-BD28-022D626D7DBD.jpeg

I have too much into the build for anything silly to happen so I bit the bullet. From what I’ve read, you need something to dampen the harmonics especially when it’s not original pistons/rods.

Drove it in the rain the other day because I live on the edge 🤣. Gave her a bath on this nice December day. Most likely the last wash. New wideband sensor should be here tomorrow. I’m undecided whether or not to switch to aem.

Wash outside, dry inside.

E050815F-65BB-45B2-9DC9-9D27212D4EF5.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back