The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Orca - 11 sec street rippa

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+1 for painting the bay now while engine's out. Didn't seem to be any rust from that picture but a fresh coat of paint and primer will make you feel good every time you pop the hood. Personally I only did a few small sections since it was still mostly good. Hell, the paint inside my engine bay looks shinier than the peeling clearcoat on the outside! :ohdamn:

+1 for painting the bay now while engine's out. Didn't seem to be any rust from that picture but a fresh coat of paint and primer will make you feel good every time you pop the hood. Personally I only did a few small sections since it was still mostly good. Hell, the paint inside my engine bay looks shinier than the peeling clearcoat on the outside! :ohdamn:

Yeah the plan is to paint it now since I don’t want to pull the engine again LOL. It has some rust where the washer fluid tank lives. It’s not in the worst shape but it’s something I’d like to get done. Just dread thinking about it LOL. It’s going to be A LOT of work :cry:

Got a set of leather seats. Rears and p/s are in great condition. D/s needs reupholstered and foam repaired. At least this gives me something to do while I wait for the block. Should be getting block back on Friday...hopefully.

DBE03FF3-05C4-4701-910D-AB20DA883A34.jpeg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally got the block back. Cleaned it up to throw some paint. Originally was going to go with black but then I saw my buddy’s block that he painted silver and it looked great. Machine shop told me he blasted this and now I’m liking this color instead. Hopefully VHT has this color. Sucks that it’s raining today so I’m going to hold off painting it until Mother Nature allows me to.

A4388367-C267-44E9-917A-05511514EE83.jpeg

Couldn’t find the color for the block that looks similar so just went with semigloss black.

image.jpg

Plastigauged the mains and all were at .002 except for #4 which tapered from .001-.002. Measured that crank journal and sure enough it’s slightly tapered. Not real worried about since I’ve never had any issues and the old bearings didn’t look bad at all.

upload_2020-8-4_17-33-32.jpeg

Pistons and rods assembled :hellyeah:

87555A87-59D9-4C06-8E8A-2E60C1CA496E.jpeg
18B1F31C-2957-4DB1-84F6-C4BD030E7F2E.jpeg

Onto checking rod oil clearance.

What rods and pistons do you have Tony? Looking good!

What rods and pistons do you have Tony? Looking good!

Thanks Marty! Eagle H beam and Wiseco HD 85.5 8.5:1
Going to grind this area of the block and set ring gap today

1F1D63C7-0952-4017-8671-290ACDF63B56.jpeg

Plastigauged rod bearing clearance and 1, 2 & 4 were all between .0015 & .002 so safe to say .0018, and .002 for #3. Little on the tight side but I’m going to run with it.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Doing GREAT man!
The 7 bolt I built for my son has a tight bottom end as yours.....018-.002 and it runs fine. Hoping for a long lasting heart for him but he sure has a heavy right foot. OMG
Step by step you are making good progress and it's nice to see it coming along in your build post! :thumb:

Doing GREAT man!
The 7 bolt I built for my son has a tight bottom end as yours.....018-.002 and it runs fine. Hoping for a long lasting heart for him but he sure has a heavy right foot. OMG
Step by step you are making good progress and it's nice to see it coming along in your build post! :thumb:

That’s good to hear. This forum AND YOU have been super helpful so I can’t thank you enough buddy!!

WE ALL are here to help our buddies!!!!
Thanks Tony, any questions at all, you have my # :)

Hey man I just want to drop in and say Hell Yeah Brother!:hellyeah: I’ll be paying a machine shop all of these things, but your a true dsm’er and I LOVE seeing the progress! Such a clean car and an awesome build!:rocks:

Thanks Jermey! I appreciate that brother!! :hellyeah:Are you running a kiggly girdle? If so, there are a couple of other spots that needs to be checked besides the humps on the back of the block.

-One bolt for the INNER oil pump case comes in contact with the girdle. This is if you’re still using oem front case.
-Girdle also come in contact with the back of the block just above the oil pan mating surface.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/kiggly-girdle.530495/

Had to take it all apart to clean it again so just a heads up. They should do this before final cleaning

Actually I WILL be running the girdle, I was just going to give the machine shop the instruction page from kiggly, it is new news to me tho about the oem front cover bolt, I’m still undecided on which cover to use, I have my original 1990 front cover with the straight cut gears, and also the acl one from my previous stock rebuild which was still in great shape, I’d like to run a new oem one but I noticed stm tuned no longer sells the straight cut oil pump gear, wondering if I could re use my original one? Or maybe just run another new acl orbit cover:idontknow:

Actually I WILL be running the girdle, I was just going to give the machine shop the instruction page from kiggly, it is new news to me tho about the oem front cover bolt, I’m still undecided on which cover to use, I have my original 1990 front cover with the straight cut gears, and also the acl one from my previous stock rebuild which was still in great shape, I’d like to run a new oem one but I noticed stm tuned no longer sells the straight cut oil pump gear, wondering if I could re use my original one? Or maybe just run another new acl orbit cover:idontknow:

As long as the gears and covers look good, and clearance is within spec, you’ll be fine

upload_2020-8-5_23-37-48.jpeg

Thanks man! I’ll prolly dig mine out and take some measurements, I guess I could always clean up the original case and replace the seals:thumb:, I’ll be running it with an oem bsek:dsm:

Thanks man! I’ll prolly dig mine out and take some measurements, I guess I could always clean up the original case and replace the seals:thumb:, I’ll be running it with an oem bsek:dsm:

No problem man. I’m following your build too :thumb:

Beat the snot out of the pan. Started by hammering the inside then changed tactics since the ringing was too much. Put a few bolts on the oil pan so it’s snug but enough slack so it’s able to move. Then used a tshirt behind a piece of wood and went to town. Also got new oil pan bolts and had to shave down two.

F1D505BE-184E-4C7E-8277-3B3F0623C34E.jpeg

One step back...while setting ring gap, I finished #1 and installed the rings on piston #1 setting top ring to .022 and .024 for the second ring. So onto #2. Installed the top ring, but the feeler gauge that was poking out was .024. Didn’t notice it until I went too far. Tried it in other cylinders as @1990TSIAWDTALON suggested but was unsuccessful. Ordered a new ring set along with new crush washers for squirters. Lesson learned! Luckily it was only a $26 mishap.

Thats a wise move Tony. Worth every penny!!!:thumb:

Motor is assembled. ;) This is truly one of the coolest gift I have ever received.

40C1E3B5-FCA3-4399-9792-FFB9417F7A69.jpeg

Got the rotating assembly assembled and moded the pick up. Not sure if and when I’ll crack a 1.6 60’ but it’s done and I won’t have to worry about it.

61A52FAF-74D9-4EA1-A8D7-4FBFDA213C1A.jpeg
78A43B59-39F2-4161-BBA3-BECFBAFAE7C6.jpeg

Getting the head on and ready to degree cams next. Then prepping the bay for paint. :cry:

Thanks brother!!
Feld Pro mls, L19s torqued to 105ftlb and Fidanza cam gears :hellyeah:
88395A1E-4C04-4F0C-955D-CC6CD1DA647F.jpeg
3F01CE0A-277F-471A-A9CE-010E5CBB5B37.jpeg
image.jpg

Just noticed it’s red white and blue. Hell to the yeah!!!!!!

Looking good i have my first built engine in the works

Thanks man! This was my first too. Was terrified at first but at the end of the day, it’s all nuts and bolt. Learned a lot too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back