The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Opinions on Battery Tray Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey all. I’ve been designing a personal battery tray. Im aiming for “overbuilt.” It has an aluminum frame with some 3D printed goodies built in. I’ve been having some trouble figuring out the best route to go for designing the fastening mechanism and just overall upper structure of the tray. To be clear, this is for an only rear-mounted battery.
A battery tray isn’t a complicated system, so this question is a little weird, but maybe someone will have some input. Is there anything that you wished out of a battery tray design? Or seen and loved about a tray? I can’t find a solution that I’m satisfied with, and I’d appreciate some input.

You stated yourself battery tray isn't complicated. Is there some sort of design parameter you're trying to achieve? What exactly is your question or problem?

For battery trays that are adjustable for different sizes, they just have the tighten-down latch on top. One extra thing I’m doing is designing side-lockers as well, which are adjustable for different battery sizes. As I design I’m also taking into account cooling, and I’m doing some work with bushings for vibrations.

I already mentioned that the question was strange. I don’t need to overbuild a battery tray but I am. I’ve been stuck on finding a design that I’m happy with for fastening, and was hoping the community might be able to provide some beneficial input.

Not a tray design but if you're looking to add something on top I recommend these JDM battery tie downs/brackets. There are tons of different variations and designs of these, I think it really makes your engine stand out a little extra and pretty sure they are universal.

Just google JDM battery tie downs or brackets

Attachments

• 61K0XTfG+oL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    61K0XTfG+oL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 76
  • $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 74
Is that a HONDA battery in a DSM????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Is that a HONDA battery in a DSM????? ROFL ROFL ROFL
Hey if it fits its sits LOL Nah actually not sure if its in a DSM or not, but pretty sure its just image from a Honda to show an example. But come to think of it Eclipses aren't JDM so maybe this kind of styling isn't for everyone. :)

I just had to poke fun! :)

Depending on the size of the battery your using I love the JMF battery trays. You can pretty much order any vehicle specific one you want, then unbolt it from the bracket and use it only for the tray and hold down. That's what I did in my car, as well as my friends supra - they look great!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back