The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Open Downpipe- Who does it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Long story short, the previous owner of my TSi made a custom exhaust out of the stock diameter exhaust piping. His welds looked as if a 3 year old did it.

Finally, a weld broke on the downpipe to the flex pipe. So, she is open downpipe. I cut a big section of the exhaust off, the rest is still there.

So what's the problem? I am addicted to the sound! I know a lot of people say it is unbearable and annoying, but I am used to loud race cars running just headers. Except on a turbo car you can hear the turbo whistle even at idle! Even with my patially blown T-2small!

I have recently talked to some other people that have been running open downpipe on their DD for years. So I was curious to see who else is doing it, how you like it, why you choose to, power gains, etc.

I noticed a big pickup in power. But then again, I had 2 1/4" exhaust piping, Cat, and a stock muffler, so there was a lot of restriction.

I might just say screw it, take my chances DDing it, and maybe run it out the side of the bumper. I live in the middle of nowhere and drive mainly on backroads when I need to go to/around town.

Pics are welcome!

When I got my talon, it had an open downpipe (more like an unintentional flexpipe delete!) and that thing was SO much faster. Rediculous. Makes me want to get a 4inch exhaust.

I had a friend with a 1g GSX with a open down pipe. Could hear that guy in a 10 mile radius. I love the sound.:thumb:

Ive ran with just a downpipe before. It rattled the car and was so annoying.

Ive also ran just a 12inchdownpipe pipe off the turbo pointing strait down on my hx40 car. That sounded nice and dident feel like it was rattling my ears from under the seat.

Here is a video of how it sounded.

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/191777510832869" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/191777510832869" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"
></embed></object>

I LOVE mine.. Cant get enough!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So venting to the exhaust how's that working out for you many here say is not good enough to release pressure from the crankcase isn't also supposed to have a check valve on that line?

^^ Definitely the way to go! But there's no harm in open DP until you get your exhaust figured out, just be careful with the POPO.. LOL

IF I didn't live in Cali, I would do it.

Oddly enough on my 240z I ran open headers and never got pulled over once. That thing is so loud it's not even funny, but the cops didn't seem to care. I even get on it a little when going by them just to see the reaction. My DSM's though, you always get the look when driving by while praying they don't light you up.

I am installing an electric cutout into my exhaust so I can open it up at the track. Only reason I don't do a straight exhaust is I like to drive mine on the road and not have to listen to it. I also don't think its worth the ticket, you going to spend more on tickets than to just buy the cutout now. They are nice to open up at the track for the added flow but just keep them quiet on the road.

I ran this on my last 1g, it was loud and i got tickets all the time. it was my daily.

You got ticketed because you were driving a NA LOL. It's weird, NA's are so much louder (in a bad way) that turboed cars.

I have been running open downpipe for about 7 months with no tickets. I always see cops. Drive in front of them, pass them going the opposite way, parked next to them at the pumps, etc with no issues.

In some states, like here in New Mexico, a turbo is considered a muffling device. They do actually break up the sound waves some and disapate some of the exhaust pulse pressure, so technically that is a muffler. LOL

In some states, like here in New Mexico, a turbo is considered a muffling device. They do actually break up the sound waves some and disapate some of the exhaust pulse pressure, so technically that is a muffler. LOL

That's awesome! ROFL

I second the electric cutout. I have a stock muffler on the back and a DMH cutout right after my wideband. Sounds great, and since its slightly to the side, it doesn't rattle everything in the car like it did with just open downpipe.
With it closed, it's as close to stock volume as I could imagine. (I've never heard a stock catback..)

Here's some pics of it:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/15482_526428240714743_1751470593_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/10339_526428370714730_567349188_n.jpg

Open downpipe and O2 dumps on a few of my last setups, this one will take the cake:

Yes, it is a street car. The "street" downpipe will be made later, for now it's going out the hood full time.

i considered electric cut out on my downpipe, but after doin a lot of homework i found alot of people sayin that that their cut out "froze up" or "broke" after only like a years worth of use. i went with a 60mm external wastegate in my downpipe. this seemed better for two reasons, first, it seems that a wastegate is gonna outlast the cutout in terms of longevity, second, it was possible to install the wastegate a whole lot further up in the exhaust system. i got the wastegate mounted very close to the turbo to releive as much back pressure off the turbo as possible. i also ran a diesel boost gauge (does not show vacume) off my exhaust mannifold so i could see the back pressure change. the boost activated exhaust cut out (60mm external wastegate) is fitted with a soft spring. it takes about 10-12psi of boost to over ride the spring and open the cut out. theres no switch no wiring no hassle just pure easy and works great

on the down pipe if deleted the recirc tube off the turbo manni's wastegate. have open dump tube now, but cut out is still there and mounted close to my hx40

Attachments

• cut out.JPG
    cut out.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 217
  • cutout2.JPG
    cutout2.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 216
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back