The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Open Downpipe- Who does it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Long story short, the previous owner of my TSi made a custom exhaust out of the stock diameter exhaust piping. His welds looked as if a 3 year old did it.

Finally, a weld broke on the downpipe to the flex pipe. So, she is open downpipe. I cut a big section of the exhaust off, the rest is still there.

So what's the problem? I am addicted to the sound! I know a lot of people say it is unbearable and annoying, but I am used to loud race cars running just headers. Except on a turbo car you can hear the turbo whistle even at idle! Even with my patially blown T-2small!

I have recently talked to some other people that have been running open downpipe on their DD for years. So I was curious to see who else is doing it, how you like it, why you choose to, power gains, etc.

I noticed a big pickup in power. But then again, I had 2 1/4" exhaust piping, Cat, and a stock muffler, so there was a lot of restriction.

I might just say screw it, take my chances DDing it, and maybe run it out the side of the bumper. I live in the middle of nowhere and drive mainly on backroads when I need to go to/around town.

Pics are welcome!

When I bought my 99 spyder there was a ricer pipe on it. I took it off and am running 3" with two resonators from turbo back. It's loud but it's deeper than with the fart cannon that was on it. I'll post a vid of it later

i have a 92 laser rs, stock 14b, but even with an electronic bc, i cannot get past 9.5 psi. anyone know how i can get up to about 12-14? is it possible on this tc?

my 1g laser will not climb past 9.5psi, even with an aftermarket electronic bc. any ideas as to how i can get it up to 14lbs?

Had to drive my galant with an open DP to get my exhaust built. Couldn't stand it. It has a full 3" with just a magnaflow muffler now and i still think its to loud.

i have a 3" side exit. so far the little i have run the car sounds good

i have a 3" side exit. so far the little i have run the car sounds good

You got any pics of it?

I ran an open downpipe on my 1g awd tsi a few years back. I drove it for a few days before i finally got my cat-back put on. Sounded awesome on a evo 3 GT turbo. I felt the power gains at lower rpm's for sure. Top-end wasn't as noticeable for me, but I could be wrong. All in all, it was too loud for me to DD. My spyder is not my DD though...hmmm:hmm:

I would get pulled over too often though if I ran an open downpipe. I'll stick with my 3 inch exhaust from the turbo-back out the backside of a 4 inch Dunk muffler.

So I finally got around to putting my test pipe on my car, after about 2 weeks of open downpipe.

The car is so quiet now.It doesn't have the turbine spinning sound..It just doesnt sound like the car likes having an exhaust on it at all.

So I have to retract my it sounds like crap statement.

I had my exhaust do the same thing on my 1g MANY MANY years ago. At first, I liked it. Turbo whistle at idle. EXTREMELY aggressive sound during deceleration. But then I got in the left lane on the highway next to a barrier and my ears were ringing for a while after that.

I then imagined that EVERY car that I am next to hears the same thing. So I stopped driving the car and ordered a down pipe.

For the track I want to order a 3" side exhaust dumping in front of the front tire.

If you're addicted to the sound and don't want tickets, I would suggest running a full 3" exhuast with an open dump o2 housing. It's only loud when you're at or near full boost, similar to a boost activated exhuast cut-out...

I run 3" exhaust with a 35mm TiAL external wastage off the #1 runner on a 14b setup. I plan on rerouting it back into the 3" exhaust & porting the 2g o2 housing.

It used to be loud everytime around 3k. Otherwise very subtle thru this ebay exhaust.

I swapped the setup to a friend who ran recirculated. Complained of too much noise. I would love to hear the sound of turbo spooling again. I have high hopes as I am in market for a block. :thumb:

Will post pics of before & after soon. This week perhaps :D

I ran open DP for a few years. Everyone looks at the car since its so loud, but it did tend to keep kids from wanting to race, since it sounds bad ass. I finally got tired of my ears ringing every time I drove it for more than 10 minutes, so I put an exhaust on with a cutout for when I wanna make noise! there was no difference in my DSMLink logs at all with my cutout open or with my full 3" exhaust, and I was running about 25psi (flowing 42 lbs/min.). So no, you won't be gaining much HP, if any, at that level. But I think it sounds sick LOL.

e-cutout with a stock catback FTMFW.

Exhaust Cutout Switch - YouTube

thats pretty cool. I plan on running a 4-4.5 inch downpipe with a 3" catback and I'm gonna install a 4" electric cutout to redirect it out the side of the front bumper. I love the way a 4" exhaust coming out the side of the sgb eclipses look but want something thats alittle more tame for when the popo's around :ninja:

I've had to daily mine for about a week now with 3" open downpipe, cruising on the highway is not bad at all. The accelerating and when getting onto the highway bringing it past 3k is what kills me, but nothing sounds sweeter then that whistle at every shift and I love the look on peoples faces when the realize its the car and not some duramax or something.

i want to run an open dp but what about the rear o2 sensor? how do you get around that? as i dont have link

I ran this on my last 1g, it was loud and i got tickets all the time. it was my daily.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is basically what my dp was and is now. Got around to finish building my exhaust, it was alot quieter and felt slower. My welds broke so the entire back half of my exhaust isnt connected anyemore. Haven't felt like fixing it because it doesn't pull as good with the full exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back