The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Oops...Fuel pump install screw-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakmon

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2002
Canada
I was installing a Walbro 190 today and over-tightened the pos. terminal nut on the pump itself (snapped the bolt off). I was able to solder the wire (with ring terminal) to the pos. post but I can't help worrying if this is sufficient inside the tank. Can anyone give me some insight please. Also, is there anything to worry about (electrical connections inside fuel tanks tend to scare me).

Thanks for any advice

It could be fine, but I agree... kinda scary.

I would take it to a GOOD race shop and see if they can get the bolt out with an easy out or something. Worst case... get a new pump.

It's not a bolt, it's a terminal connected to the motor windings. You cant take it out.

I'd be sure it's soldered solidly. It should be OK if it is. Usually a loose connection in a tank is not a problem because the pump is submersed which prevents any ignition. You could flick your zippo submersed in liquid fuel and it wouldn't do anything.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! :nono: YOU'LL DO IT WRONG, BURN YOURSELF, AND THEN BLAME ME!!

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Thanks guys, but I ended up getting a new fuel pump assembly from the wreckers then put the Walbro in it. Went much smoother this time.

4pistons said:
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!! :nono: YOU'LL DO IT WRONG, BURN YOURSELF, AND THEN BLAME ME!!

Those that do try it, please tell all your friends about it. Maybe then we can skim the gene pool.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back