The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Only 200hp small16 :.( *log posted**

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearhead07

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2011
Auburn, Pennsylvania
Well I finally got ECM link on and went thought last night with a good friend and maf is perfect and set up my fuel table, holds 11.2-10.9 like a champ! But I'm only getting 200hp :( I just figured I would have at least 250. Now we didn't mess with timing yet but still I cant see that getting me very far.

I originally had it set at about 22psi, but my friend pointed out at that point the hp starts to decline at 6k. And makes since cause its probably just blowing hot air.

At 18psi it would hold steady hp all the way to red line.

Now my question... What psi should I be attacking from?
- hi psi and pull timing, and also have peak hp lowwer or low psi and add timing

I think I'm ready to just put on a 20g

Last edited:
I've always read its the right amounts of both, psi and timing.

Have you checked for compression and boost leaks?

Compression I did a few months ago it was all goods and boost leaks and all that went over all mechanical before using link. As far as peak timing or anything I'm not sure, I haven't touched that yet. And as far as hp estimate I'm going off what link says.

I can post a log up later when I get home.

Why would you be ready to switch to a 20g if you can't even get good numbers out of a 16g. It's all about the tune bro and your timing curve. I made est from link and good straight drag pulls around 340-380 with my 16g and setup. I only ran 19.5-20psi boost because that's where the most efficient power was and I was able to flow 37lb/min out of a 35lb/min turbo. It takes some work to get the tune down, you can't just throw in link and up the boost and expect everything to do it on its own. Post some logs bro that will help us all help you.

Alright man as soon as I get home. So about 3 hours. But like I said my timing is untouched. I just don't see me gaining a lot in just the timing, but then I'm a rookie, maybe someone will see something wrong in the log and point me somewhere.

But my summer goal is to get a 12.99 I did 13.3 same setup untunned last year..... And it also makes me question. " I can't believe I did a 13.3 with 200hp"

And the reason I said about getting a 20g is because I don't think. This small 16 is going to get me where I want. Over all down the road I would love 350 ish

Alright man as soon as I get home. So about 3 hours. But like I said my timing is untouched. I just don't see me gaining a lot in just the timing, but then I'm a rookie, maybe someone will see something wrong in the log and point me somewhere.

But my summer goal is to get a 12.99 I did 13.3 same setup untunned last year..... And it also makes me question. " I can't believe I did a 13.3 with 200hp"

And the reason I said about getting a 20g is because I don't think. This small 16 is going to get me where I want. Over all down the road I would love 350 ish

Spark angle (timing) is the parameter most directly related to torque production.

Torque over time is Horsepower. You want more power? You need to make more torque at any given engine speed.

If you make 200whp at 5000rpm, you are making 210wtq

If you are still making only 200whp at 7000rpm, torque has fallen off to 150wtq

This typically indicates a VE issue, assuming the tune is clean.

Now look at it this way..

If you can maintain the 210wtq you are making at 5000rpm and hold it to 7000rpm you will be putting down 280whp.

For example, on a High VE, high RPM cam setup and a turbo with enough turbine wheel/housing and a compressor map wide enough at such low PR.. if you can carry that 210wtq out to 9000rpm, the car will be developing ~360whp.

See how that works? Now this example is a bit simple, as flat torque curves across the board are not especially common. On big cam, big turbo setups they might peak and hold for a few thousand RPM, in some well sorted cases they hold through redline and taper as the cam or turbo starts to fall off.

But on a small turbo like a 16G in an MHI housing, you will likely have a spike in the mid-range that tapers off shortly after peak torque and heading downwards steeply around 7-7.5k on most setups.

At a given PR, you get your fuel set where the motor is happy, and then dial in the timing. When you stop picking up power or run into knock, back off 2* or so for a margin of safety.

alright land speed, i am making senc of that and will keep that in mind.

here are my logs these are the final logs, after we got everthing straightened out. The first one is a launch first to 3rd on 18psi. i did see that i belive in 2nd gear i got a hint of kncok but im thinking this is due to it going a smidge lean. So i have just tweaked the maf accordingly. The second is a 3rd gear pull at 22psi

Let me know what u think. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• log.2013.06.10-01(launch18).elg
    215.7 KB · Views: 36
  • log.2013.06.10-01.(pull22psi)elg.elg
    41.2 KB · Views: 56
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back