The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

One more GSX down :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motox-010

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2007
Spearfish, South_Dakota
Well, I got a text this morning that my friend Nick crashed his 97 GSX. The only mods he has done to it so far, were the FMIC, and a cold air intake. He was planning to paint it black, once he got the new 97 bumpers (had a horrible body kit). But this morning, the roads were slick. A bus pulled out in front of him, and he ran into it. The bus driver was totally at fault. I dont know very many details. But I will try to load the pic he sent me from his cell...

Attachments

• nick gsx crash.jpg
    nick gsx crash.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 445
According to him, it tweaked the body so bad, that the hatch wont even open... And he said that the sunroof doesnt work. Why he needed a sunroof when its snowing is beyond me, but he has a higher quality picture on his myspace that I will link to when I get on my home pc.

Yea, it was pretty to look at. But he was going to re-paint the whole thing, because the guy who originally did the custom paint on it skipped town, so he couldnt get the paint codes for the bumpers.

This sucks, now he wont sell me his 95 TSi!!! Yes, he HAD 2 running DSMs. And then 1 non running. Now its 1 running, 1 non running, 1 totalled.

But he says he is going to try to buy it back and fix it. I dont know why. If it is so screwed that the hatch wont open. I would cut my losses and salvage everything he can.

Also, this car was originally an AWD automatic. The local Dodge dealer put in a low mileage 4g63t, and the 5 speed.

That is a pretty sick color. I would try to get it up and running again. You don't see many 2g's nowadays. Don't even bring up 1g's. I die a little more inside everytime another DSM gets owned.

The insurance company totalled it out. So I guess he can only hope that he can get parts off of it. He also had a short throw and gauges and a sound system. So hopefully he can swap those parts to the Talon before they crush it or something.

He can buy it back. And if he is savvy with the body work, fix it for the money he got from the insurance company.

In addition, he can go after the bus driver (or county for that matter) for the FMIC, since the insurance company did not cover it.

He got a loan for the Eclipse, I dont know how much. So first he is going to pay off that loan with money from insurance. He said that he is going to try to keep the car, and what little money will be left over will probally go into his Talon, or beggining to fix the Eclipse. He is 19, and I really hate to see this happen to such a good kid. He just bought a stage 2 clutch for it last week, and that was going in once his Talon was done with the bottom end pulley replacement.

I havent talked to him on the phone at all, so I dont know if he got hurt or what.

Also, I dont believe that it was a county bus. I think it is private or a business bus, because he said it was an old person bus...

Definately try and salvage it or let me know how I can get ahold of it. Ive fixed worse before.

Auto to manual is expensive? Maybe I should let him know that.

About keeping the vehicle...

I work for a major insurance company...if that car is hit so hard that the hatch wont close then he isnt going to want to keep it (for repairing at least). The insurance company may not let him keep it

Consider this, it was hit in the front end and the impact of the crash sent energy through the entire car all the way to the hatch....the frame must be completely ***ed. If will never be the same..I dont care how many hours its on the frame machine

Just a thought....make sure to get those aftermarket items off of it...the insurance companies dont give a crap about a/m stuff...it may hurt the value of the car

So you are saying that the auto-manual conversion wont mean anything to them?

Well, I just got off the phone with Nick. He is going to buy the Eclipse to keep it as a parts car. So I wouldnt doubt if he has a 95 Talon with 97 bumpers here in a few weeks. Cause everything off the Eclipse is going back on the Talon. And he is going to keep an eye out for another AWD. So he can have a FWD, FWD parts car... AWD and AWD parts car. Wow, I think he has been bitten by the DSM sickness.

keepin it for parts isnt a bad idea....he'll get more parting it out then what the insurance company will charge him for it (usually, they get bids on the salvage and deduct the highest...at least thats how it works in NY)

In terms of the auto to manual conversion that doesnt mean anything...that car had the option to be manual from the factory..what makes it worth more? If anything, it could hurt the value: first, the automatic version of a car usually costs more and is seen as more desireable by the average consumer..second, the average consumer would pay less for a car that has considerable modifications

thats from my experience....its not a rule but that how such things are viewed at my job

I think he mentioned that they are going to give him around high retail, because the new engine and manual tranny were put in it with like 50k on them, and have about 75 or so now. And it was damn near perfect engine and trans aside.

The first few pics are of the Clipse before it was totalled.

The next one is taken at the salvage yard

The next one is his black TSi FWD

The last one is his red TSi FWD parts car

Attachments

• nicks clipse1.jpg
    nicks clipse1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 244
  • nicks clipse2.jpg
    nicks clipse2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 240
  • nicks clipse crashed.jpg
    nicks clipse crashed.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 242
  • nicks red talon.jpg
    nicks red talon.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 244
Car was very nice before it was totaled. I like that paint job.

Yea, I just talked to him again. The insurance guy came and looked at it. He pretty much just took pictures and paid no attention to what Nick was saying about aftermarket parts, and the trans and motor swap.

LOL damn look at the end tank on the intercooler. It like exploded.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back