The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G once warm car stalls, runs fine cold not on boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadtheboost

Probationary Member
Sep 24, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
recently bought a 2g talon tsi that had been sitting for around 4 years. ran perfect when i test drove it, besides the clutch slipping pretty bad and the idle was rough. put a new clutch in it and the car ran decent but at WOT or full boost, especially above 3k rpm, the car would begin to backfire and stutter violently. filled it up with new gas as it only had 1/4 tank.replaced the IAC with one off a 6 bolt i had laying around, this fixed the rough idle.replaced and adjusted the TPS, this helped very little if anything. spark plugs were coated in black, replaced them with copper plugs (it had platinum plugs in it i believe) and gapped to .028, this helped noticeably. it was pretty much driveable at this point but WOT and anything near full boost caused some backfiring and stuttering. took if for a drive at right as it reaches operating temp the car would start to stall once i pressed the clutch in, driving a little further the car would begin to stutter violently in gear with little to no power. eventually the car just dies and will barely start without the throttle being pressed, at WOT at this point it will stutter its way up to 2-3k rpm only to die out and come to life before it fully stops.

Doesn’t have dsmlink. Friend of mine that works for a diesel shop did a boost leak test and he said everything held fine at 20psi. I used a smoke machine on the vacuum lines and didn’t see anything leaking. Tried to start the car today and once started it sounded like it was misfiring, dies after a second or two, pressing the throttle only leads to what seems to be a misfire and the car eventually stalling no matter what. Ended up seeing a post about the ignition control module so I changed it with a new one and also change out the coil packs and wires. This has me totally lost, the only thing I can think of is a lack of fuel possibly? Going to try to get a fuel pressure test done. Can’t think of anything else unless someone else has a better idea?

Doesn’t have dsmlink. Friend of mine that works for a diesel shop did a boost leak test and he said everything held fine at 20psi. I used a smoke machine on the vacuum lines and didn’t see anything leaking. Tried to start the car today and once started it sounded like it was misfiring, dies after a second or two, pressing the throttle only leads to what seems to be a misfire and the car eventually stalling no matter what. Ended up seeing a post about the ignition control module so I changed it with a new one and also change out the coil packs and wires. This has me totally lost, the only thing I can think of is a lack of fuel possibly? Going to try to get a fuel pressure test done. Can’t think of anything else unless someone else has a better idea?

Hey, do you have an update to this? My GSX is basically doing the same thing. I checked the ECU and was planning on finding a replacement Ignition Control Module as my next step.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back