The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

On3 performance 450whp auto??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseyrobinett_2011

Proven Member
Mar 4, 2016
Crestline, Ohio
Looking for some info on the On3 Performance gt35r turbo I'm thinking about going with one of these on my 1999 eclipse gsx automatic. My question is has anyone run any on3 turbos if so what are your thoughts on them and yes I know there not going to be on par with an authentic but with all the supporting mods and a built head with 272's could 450whp be achieved on the auto with this size of turbo?Thanks in advance!

I have a built motor from top to bottom and I also have an auto. I have an FP black making over 500hp. So a 35r should get you in the area of 450hp. To be honest if you are looking for that type of power I would recommend the FP Red. They are good for 450hp plus and the spool is not as bad as the Blk.

Last edited:
Only reason I was looking at On3 was the price and I hate sounding like I'm just trying to be as cheap as possible but I need something decent to last 2-3 years then I plan to go with the fb black times are tough right now LOL I'm not trying to build a full blown race car just something fun to play with on the street and how much could I pick up a Holset that would be able to run in the 450 500whp range? Thanks everyone

Only reason I was looking at On3 was the price and I hate sounding like I'm just trying to be as cheap as possible but I need something decent to last 2-3 years then I plan to go with the fb black times are tough right now LOL I'm not trying to build a full blown race car just something fun to play with on the street and how much could I pick up a Holset that would be able to run in the 450 500whp range? Thanks everyone

you can normally pick up an hx40 for about 3-400. I can t tell you hp number as ive never put my car on a dyno but I can tell you my hx40 auto car went 10.89 @126mph on 26psi with a softer 1.56 60'

you can normally pick up an hx40 for about 3-400. I can t tell you hp number as ive never put my car on a dyno but I can tell you my hx40 auto car went 10.89 @126mph on 26psi with a softer 1.56 60'
That's rollin! That's gotta be running in the range if not better than I'm looking

On3's turbos are designed for low boost on larger-displacement V8's and will absolutely not hold up to 30+psi from a 4-cylinder. You're setting yourself up for disappointment and repeat turbo failures.

Buy a good used Holset HY35 for $200-$250 on eBay and run it if you want a quick-spooling, durable turbo that will yawn at 450hp and wasn't made in China.

On3 only sells t3/t4 style turbos, so you would need an exhaust manifold to fit that, an external wastegate and some type of custom downpipe made. Therefore, the turbo will cost less money but the whole setup to run an On3 will most likely to be more than just buying a brand new FP Green or something.

They are popular with junkyard lsx builds making over 1000 hp. But those are low boost applications like stated already.
Not really sure if they would hold 30-40 psi. Thats a stress area they werent designed for.

Haha popular is not the word I would use. They are typically frowned upon, but can be considered a first step in a turbo build. Something you can set your base tune to, something to problem shoot on a new setup.

The on3 turbo kit is what is ls1 guys use as an entry level kit, the on3 turbo is what comes in the kit. People do not specifically buy a turbo from on3.

To relate, on3 is the cxracing of the domestic turbo market

The 68hta won't get you to 450 awhp on an auto. I currently run the 76HTA at 37psi which made 443 awhp on a dyno dynamics. The HX40 will get you there with room to go. I chose the 76hta because I wanted a ball bearing turbo or else I would have ran the billet HX40.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back