The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

On the road again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike96

15+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Just a quick update, when I have some more time I will get some more info up. It has been a long weekend and after paint, re-assemble, and finally my computer hard drive finally taking a crap on me it is back on the road. Now all I have to do is fine tune my idle a bit so it can pass emissions and everything will be all right for a bit.

Ok, now that I have a few minutes I can get some real info in here... yea it was definitely a long weekend. I have a couple of extra days off so I was able to accomplish a bit.

It started early this week with trying to get the body work all done so that Thursday I could just get a good coat of sealer on the car so that I didn’t have to worry about being able to drive it and messing up the primer. Well that didn’t quite happen. Thursday morning I made it to about 90 ready for paint and by Thursday noon-ish it was as ready for tape and paint as it was going to get for now. so I pulled out all the paint and low-and -behold the can of primer I had was bad... guess I had let it sit too long and it had all cured in the can. So off to the paint shop I went.

Friday morning came and after having to straighten a couple of other things out I finally got started, at 9:45. let me just say this, at 9:45 in the morning it is a bit to work out to get a good coat without the paint drying to fast. But that is ok; I will put another coat of sealer on before the color coat goes on. I finished the paint up at about 10:20 and left me with a couple of hours to sit and not do anything while the paint dried, let me just say this much 1 quart just isn’t enough... So after cleaning the paint gun and watching some TV for a bit 12:30 rolled around and out to the garage I went to de-tape and roll out the car out into the sun to let it bake (that is the only nice thing about living in the desert I don’t have to worry about the paint not drying)

So now it is out in the sun and I have had a chance to evaluate the paint I find that I had made a pretty good assumption about how the sealer would turn out. Looks like there were three major things working against me on this task.

First I didn’t have enough paint, once I got it out in the sun and could get a good look at it I found that I just didn’t get the coverage I would have liked. 1 quart got me a light coat to start with and one heavy coat to cover and i used every last drop of it.

Second was the gun, it seemed to me while I was painting that it was spraying a little heavy on the bottom although that could have been the angle I was working at also. But what can you expect from a $10 Harbor Freight HVLP that isn’t really HVLP.

And lastly the heat.. Apparently around 9:45 is a bit too late in the afternoon to be starting a job like this. As mentioned before this combined with the gun/angle left the light lines.

so now that the paint is done I have a little body work left in a few spots and then I will go over the entire car with a 400 and 800 grit wet sand and reapply the sealer then color (which if I don’t do all one color will be a "couple of days" job in its self because I will do the top first then wait a couple of days and do the bottom of the car later after the top has a few days to cure).

I will see what I can do about getting some pics up in the next few hours of what still needs to be worked.

IMAG0490.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

Now you can test the Evo ECU with AC!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back