The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

? on a 2g head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORMONTOYA

DSM Wiseman
Oct 7, 2004
Houston, Texas
doing a turbo swap...got the exhaust mani off this weekend and found a lot of oil in the exhaust ports of #1, 2, & 3 (#4 look good for a head w/95k on it). bad seals and/or guides...time for a rebuild. my question:
1) is there anything special or different that i need to be looking for on the head or bottom end when i get the head off? ...crank freeplay, ect...
2) would it help to do a compression test before the head come off? or will the leaking seals in the head affect this and give an unreliable reading?
3) should i just go ahead and yank the motor and freshen up the bottom end (car really ran great up until the turbo took a dive)? only plan for 300 whp so it should not break the bank...but it will put delays into the project. be nice to get away from having to do the whole motor.

of course i am about 10k away from thinking about a t-belt change...so that and the other related items are going in with the fresh head. any suggestions will be helpful.

thanks,

jim :dsm:

this is what happened this weekend...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164239

Running a compression test would be a good idea before you do anything...if it reads really low, add some oil and if it goes up any, your rings might need to be changed. Adding oil will not affect a bad valve seal, but it will affect worn piston rings.

If everything is running right in the bottom end, it will not necessarily need to be rebuilt. If you wanted to do a full rebuild, throw some new bearings ($100) on there and a new set of rings (~120) and do a quick hone job and you'll be all set. My head rebuild was around $200 total, so if you wanted to freshen up everything, its looking like it will be around $500 give or take.

Also, if your turbo was on the fritz, check inside the oil pan by the oil return line...when mine went out, there was a bunch of nasty gunk in there from the bad turbo bearings. If thats the case, I'd replace/clean out as much as I could under there.

blackGSX2g said:
Also, if your turbo was on the fritz, check inside the oil pan by the oil return line...when mine went out, there was a bunch of nasty gunk in there from the bad turbo bearings. If thats the case, I'd replace/clean out as much as I could under there.

thanks...the turbo did take a dump end of sept...that is what started the project...and now i will check that out also.

jim :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back