The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Old test done again HKS 272 VS GSC S2 30hp gain

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelfords are knock happy and consistently make 20whp less than any GSC product. Like I said, fixed. But what do we know, we just helped test all of the designs for the last 6 years?
Statements like that are bordering on argumentative.
'any GSC product" ?
You helped test all of who's designs for the last 6 years?
Perhaps a little clarification is needed, because it sounds like you are personally invested in the outcome of GSC product testing.

Statements like that are bordering on argumentative.
'any GSC product" ?
You helped test all of who's designs for the last 6 years?
Perhaps a little clarification is needed, because it sounds like you are personally invested in the outcome of GSC product testing.

I apologise, I thought it was fairly concise in context.

Any equivalent GSC camshaft, i.e. Kelford 264s to S1s, 272s to S2s, 280/276 to S3s in a Mitsubishi 4G63/4. Personally invested, no. I use them and sell them because they have been proven at the track with real times and on the dyno with real results. Since we test things in our own cars first before we recommend them to our customers, I have had a chance to see how they work firsthand.

Our cars are cookie cutter enough that when you have cars come in and the only real difference is the camshafts, it becomes easy to see how each manufacturer weighs in. What are the strengths and what are the weaknesses. So far in my experience I have yet to see a set of Kelford 272s beat a set of S2s. Idle, power, response, knock, etc. the S2 comes out ahead.

Hey im on verge of purchasing S2 cams, but im still considering if the S1 will be good enough for my goal. My goal is 450hp with HTA FP Green and the S1 is rated 250-400hp. So would the s2 be a better choice? Also would the supertech springs and retainers be Ok with S2? They are little cheaper than GSC springs and retainers.
thanks

Hey im on verge of purchasing S2 cams, but im still considering if the S1 will be good enough for my goal. My goal is 450hp with HTA FP Green and the S1 is rated 250-400hp. So would the s2 be a better choice? Also would the supertech springs and retainers be Ok with S2? They are little cheaper than GSC springs and retainers.
thanks

That depends, what are your goals for powerband, when will you shift, what you running for intake maniold, what are the main uses for the car etc?

The S2 are an aggressive cam. If your main goals are 450whp, on a stock intake mani, mostly daily driven the S2's probably aren't the best option. If on the other hand you have a SMIM, plan to rev high & like to drag the car, S2's might be the better choice.

My DD is my IS300. I hardly drive my Gsx, I probably drive the car about 3-4 times a month around the neighborhood. It will be mostly street and occasionally track. I still have stock intake manifold but i will upgrade later in the summer.
Don't know how much im planning on REV-ing yet. But from wild guess from 5-7.

I just don't want buy cams more than once. So I was just thinking the S2 will be my first and last cams ever.

My DD is my IS300. I hardly drive my Gsx, I probably drive the car about 3-4 times a month around the neighborhood. It will be mostly street and occasionally track. I still have stock intake manifold but i will upgrade later in the summer.
Don't know how much im planning on REV-ing yet. But from wild guess from 5-7.

I just don't want buy cams more than once. So I was just thinking the S2 will be my first and last cams ever.

They will definitely leave room to grow with a bigger turbo or different intake manifold.

thanks. last thing do you recommend dual or single spring for these cams?

thanks
S2's would go nice with that setup.

That depends, what are your goals for powerband, when will you shift, what you running for intake maniold, what are the main uses for the car etc?

The S2 are an aggressive cam. If your main goals are 450whp, on a stock intake mani, mostly daily driven the S2's probably aren't the best option. If on the other hand you have a SMIM, plan to rev high & like to drag the car, S2's might be the better choice.
S2's aren't that aggressive. Looking at the advertised specs of the S2's they are damn near the same as FP4r's and 4r's are very streetable.

You'll want some kiggly beehives, gsc's springs, supertech duals might get it. I'd definitely mot use the manley or BC singles, or there duals either.
If he plans to go to a bigger cam in the near future he should purchase one of the springs you listed. If he stays with the S2's he can run FP DSM beehives kit. S2's advertised lift is rated intake .441" and exhaust .434". The DSM beehives are good for .450" lift and 9k.

Last edited:
thanks guys i end up ordering the S2's with the GSC spring and retainer kit.

If he plans to go to a bigger cam in the near future he should purchase one of the springs you listed. If he stays with the S2's he can run FP DSM beehives kit. S2's advertised lift is rated intake .441" and exhaust .434". The DSM beehives are good for .450" lift and 9k.

FP springs are $284, kiggly street springs are $300.

I'd rather pay the extra $16 and get the high springs rate ( FP-253lbs vs Kiggly 325 lbs) and steel retainers.

Man I thought this test would of went the other way but its great info.

Interesting. The HKS seemed a little better from 2-4.5k rpm but after that the GSC's just pwned it. I've got HKS 272's right now, and never plan to rev the car out like that. I almost went with a set of GSC S1's, but the "250-400hp" thing threw me off, and didn't want something to limit me. This test has me thinking about the S1's though....which would be a better cam in your opinion and for my goals...the GSC S1's or the HKS 272's?

Automatic AWD, Cyclone IM, Speed Density, never plan to rev past 7k. The most I plan to go on this 2.0l is a 20G...power goals are whatever I can make on pump 93 maybe a little bit of meth too. I imagine the HKS 272's would be great(had great results with them in the past)...but if the S1's make more power, and just so happen to increase low-mid range power/torque too over the HKS 272's...I might just bite the bullet.

I imagine the HKS 272's would be great(had great results with them in the past)...but if the S1's make more power, and just so happen to increase low-mid range power/torque too over the HKS 272's...I might just bite the bullet.

I wish someone would :D
My auto wants to try something different without loosing low end...

I wish someone would :D
My auto wants to try something different without loosing low end...

You're telling me! If I had an AWD dyno near me I'd do some back to back tests. Either way I plan to go with this combo when funds are permitting and I actually get my shit together. Right now culinary school is more important though so someone might beat me to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back