The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Old School VS New School DSMrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Those were the fun days. Don't forget the starion/conquest fmic. :hellyeah:It was great seeing people use there brains to make these cars fast instead of their fat wallets. Off the shelf go fast parts way back then were scarce. Now dsm go fast parts litter the web for anyone with money to buy. To me right now I'm having more fun making my current dsm that I purchased 100% stock as fast as I can for as little $$ as possible. Its a challenge and if you do your homework its not very difficult. Besides it brings me back to the main reason why I bought my first dsm 12 years ago.

I'm having more fun building my own parts too. Intake manifolds, tubular exhausts, holsets, editing speed density binaries. Seemingly unthinkable things back then. There is a lot of plug and play stuff out there. There is also plenty of DIY, and plenty more to find.

It's weird to see other platforms that are less supported where the average car is getting to where DSM's were back then. Volvos come to mind, many still tuning with resistors on the mass air sensor It says a lot about the community.

I guess if I had to fit into a category, it would be old skool. And I guess thats classified by buying 1X 1G and 2X 2Gs off the showroom floor. When you drove the car home parked it and took pictures of it, and it had 8 miles on it. You were originally subscribed to the Talon Digest when it got emailed in text format. When you remember Dave Buschur and Sean Glazar running 16Gs on their track cars.

When you bought your first air filter and exhaust from Extreme Motorsports when they were selling parts out of their house. When you went to the first DSM shootout. When you still saw GVR4s on the showroom floor 2 years after they came out, with no miles on them, because they never sold.

When you went to the dealer and had 3 of the same color to choose from, one with a factory CD changer and no ABS or one with ABS and no CD changer. And as previously stated, only lurked on this site because OLD Skool DSMers weren't members. Now every time you search anything DSM on Google, this site is at the top. And when you got the transfer case recall notice in your own mailbox. Also when you had spent $20,000 in mods before the 99 DSMs hit the showroom floor. Or the first time you saw a 2G DSM was in a magazine, because they weren't out yet.

And when you drove around with this cell phone in your cup holder, and your cell bill was $1 a minute.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

new skoo vs old skoo :D

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am definitely in the new-school portion for DSM, as I just got one and never really paid them much attention. However, I never paid any cars attention and did not want anything not lifted and ready to play in the rocks and mud. I am however rather old school in the car world. I work on my stuff, I helped develop a multitude of prototype parts for my current offroad rig, I look to adapt anything to whatever I need at the time. I like when the lines blend and a lifted truck is sporting tech discovered on a mini-truck. I like to see a new drivetrain under an old muscle car body. I have not been around this site enough to be really knowledgable, but so far it is my favorite for research and people seem to have passion for their rides. I like that and I think that new or old school, what you want is a car-guy. Someone that will listen and will teach and wants the knowledge of what worked and what is in the works for the future.

I found this thread, because, in my old school style, I was trying to figure out if people liked the Haynes or Chiltons manual for these cars. I know most info is on the internet, but when you are under a vehicle it is far easier and cheaper to get grease and oil on a book than a notebook computer.

I have not found the answer for the manual, but will search and likely will buy a computer copy and hard copy of whatever people recommend, because as a car guy; I will actually read a manual while taking a dump and have read the owners manual in the first few days of owning the car.

Old or new...I thank yall for the information on here and hope to one day contribute more, since I now want a turbo awd in the new garage after we build the house.

I guess I fit into a bit of both.

I usually get a wrench and go at it until I just can't make any progress, then I hit V-FAQ and google before I post.

But I will post, and I like reading anything new to me on the interwebs about how to do a swap or a new/exciting mod.

But yeah my first 4g63T was full of odd parts. 6 bolt into a colt, 2g hacked maf, 720cc injectors, safc, supra fuel pump, starion fmic with custom tigged pipes, 1g bov, 2g ported mani, 2g ported o2, 2g elbow. I remember hunting for a 2g elbow for a solid week on local junkyards. Hard as shit to find a turbo 2g on a yard 6 years ago. Now you can find 2-3 nearly unmolested. Turbos are gone, but usually most of the drivetrain is there cause no one wants a shitty seven bolt.

I started around the old school DSM generation. Everything was about all "go" and minimal "show." The only aesthetics that were generally accepted had to serve a purpose and be functional. Things like a nice drop, decent rims, and a clean front lip.

Since then, I've sort of carried the same ideal to every other car I've owned and modded. I miss the good old days of DSM purity.

Working on your car actually seemed to mean something. I prefer to build, not buy. Some of the more complicated and precise things like motor builds, I admit, I will pay for, but because I don't have the tools necessary. And I'd much rather have peace of mind knowing a reputable shop built the motor. I do, however, remove everything myself and drop it off at the machine shop. Before I bought a DSM, I had minimal experience tuning and modding turbo cars. I learned everything from a manual, VFAQ, and DSM tuners. Since then I've built quite a few cars for myself and helped build countless for friends in need.

Everything I learned about cars, I learned from DSMs. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back