The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Old School VS New School DSMrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread is epic LOL. I bought my DSM off an Old school DSMer and he bought it off the lot brand new. 22psi, 660's, 5 knob SAFC, EGT and tuned by front O2 volts off the Apexi turbo timer.

I think old school or new school is defined only be time if you owned your DSM before the early 2000's and were actively involved in modding it then your old school.

I bought my 1st one in 2007 and by my own definition im new school. But new school or old school doesnt matter. What matters is if your a true enthusiast or not because thats what brings us together.

:hellyeah: Agree 100% AHH the love for the cars. I think I'm gonna rub around on mine when I get homeLOL

I don't consider myself old school, even though I've been DSMing for 10 years.

I rocked a pocketlogger and Todd Day (TMO) chip. Tuned on a narrowband before wideband was prevalent. I remember reading through the Digest, but never posted. And I can remember when a 16G was considered a big street turrbo and a 20g was a track turbo. But I never did most of the free mods, and I never had the "do alot with a little" mentality. It just wasn't for me. So if Old School was a mentality, then I didn't have it. I'm glad I was around then and still am now, though. :)

Honestly, I personally feel that new school DSMers are lazy, ignorant and unwilling to pick up some tools and try to learn the car. That's not to say all of them are, but that's how I feel about most of them.

The reason the old school guys really know what they are doing is simply because they've already made their mistakes...All this talk about about doing things right vs wrong and being lazy is a bit skewed. I think a lot of us have simply forgotten what it was like to...want to go fast with ZERO money...It may not be right but it was fun while it lasted...I think in time the new school guys will also learn these lessons and eventually be considered old school.

I can suggest certain reasons for some older aged DSM owners, like me, being characterized as noobs, or for being considered less likely to do the wrenching themselves. Older people, as well as younger people for that matter, may have experienced injuries, or have health conditions, that limit their mobility, flexibility, or dexterity. So, even if people having such injuries, or conditions, were inclined to work on their cars, they might not have the capability to do it easily. Also, even though some older aged people are new to the DSM scene, like me, these people may have just as much respect for the founders (Old School members) of the DSM community regarding how they progressed the DSM community. Once again, not all individuals fit the same mold, meaning that it is extremely difficult to simply label people as lazy, noobs, or incompetent (and unwilling to learn). For me, understanding the components of my DSM differs from performing the work on my DSM. If my being content to simply own a DSM, and having someone else more qualified fix it, makes me get labeled inept, then so be it.

I am definitely "old" school. I spend a lot of time in junkyards...pulling the parts I need and cataloguing them for future use. I build a lot of my tools and work space using old lumber and things I have gotten from others throwing them away. I spend the required money to keep my car in good to great shape and try to modify my car with old and new technoology combined. I read a lot of the forums, but I am still considered a "newb" because I don't post a lot. I definitely like this site and the different opinions of others because that's what we all are. Different, but joined together by a culture of car lovers. i also remember when owning a 420A was considered newb but look how quickly all of this has changed by some guy that would not take "NO" for an answer.

I would consider myself educated old school, with my 20g setup and alot of well chosen new school parts.

Problem with most people is their afraid to get dirty or spend money on quality parts (I fit into this category 10yrs ago)

I remember my old setup, safc pocket logger and supra side mount, then the broken ring lands that followed. All tuned off the narrow band and slow moving egt guage so big surprise.

Now Ive moved to jackal 20g 750s gsc s 2 cams, Ive come a long ways in the 10yrs or so I have owned this car and my previous 2g.

I have learned to pick a goal and build my setup around that, my goal is 400whp. To many newbs want 5-600 whp but have no idea what a 300whp car feels like.

I am definitely "old" school. I spend a lot of time in junkyards...pulling the parts I need and cataloguing them for future use. I build a lot of my tools and work space using old lumber and things I have gotten from others throwing them away. I spend the required money to keep my car in good to great shape and try to modify my car with old and new technoology combined. I read a lot of the forums, but I am still considered a "newb" because I don't post a lot. I definitely like this site and the different opinions of others because that's what we all are. Different, but joined together by a culture of car lovers. i also remember when owning a 420A was considered newb but look how quickly all of this has changed by some guy that would not take "NO" for an answer.

Says the probationary member from 2008. :p J/P.

I remember making my own valve spring compressor back in 2004. I still use it today. :cool:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/118626-ghetto-valve-compressor.html

I've had my DSM for 8 years, so I'd like to think I've been in it long enough to be considered old school... But I'm probably right there at that edge of time where new school DSMers started coming into the scene... So... Hmm... Oh well, I don't care either way. All I know is I love my DSM and wouldn't trade it for anything!

This thread reminded me that I still have my old pocket logger at home somewhere. I need to dig that relic out... Ah memories... :)

Well I was in Germany and my options were limited. Either go out into the outside world of german speaking folks or order one online and get it in 4 weeks. Neither seemed promising, so I took the ghetto-fab route.

Technically new school/ROOKIE. My first DSM was in 2001. I just recently started the restoration of my 98' 2Gb Panda N/T Talon. In my opinion "Old School" is anyone who has been a DSM lover since they first set eyes on one. Then I'm Old School since 1991. :)

I don't think the people who buys these cars and dont know how to work on the car or do proper mods " noobies" should even be considered a "DSMer " so we'll leave them out of these catagories... A DSMer is some one who lives for there DSM , knows there car in and out, and isnt afraid to get there hands dirty, ....

isn't possible to be a DSMer and still learn along the way? i mean, you weren't born knowing everything about these cars were you? i feel a true DSMer is someone who isnt too thickheaded to be able to learn more about their car and more about how it truly performs. someone with a desire to know everything about their DSM, even if they didn't know everything right from the get-go. Everyone was a "noob" at some point but that doesn't make their love for the DSM any less, does it? someone correct me if i'm wrong in any part.

Im new scho to dsm i first got my dsm in 2010 i know im still really new. Well my first dsm was a 97gst well.the first thing the car did was the driver side axle came off the lock pin got too wear i guess the owner of that car treat bad lots of bad things it would always break belts speacially the alternador one i would fix her alot and get my hands really dirty with i didt care had bad wires they were cut causing problems clutch problems with the pump i would get dirty i would search what could the problem i also i would ask to the older people who know more about the car and they wouls tell mw how to fix that 97 gst im still learning speacilly with my gsx is different in parts and stuff. Im fixing her now motor is bad im still learning why they GET CRANK WALK BUT I CONSIDER MY SELF NEW BUT SOME MENTALITY OF OLD DSM IM not a ricer like those hondas guys i love dsms alot people tell me not to fix them and i go i like the too much

This sums it up for me (not the content, because I can't decipher that...but the post in general).

Anyone that is old-school would never toss up such an incomprehensible and unreadable pile of English language abuse. :)

I'm the same, don't think that criteria really separates old school/new school. I'm sure there were lazy guys back then too. I agree, I see more guys buying eclipses, buying the mods and not have a clue what to do with them now (they get others to do the work for them), or buying a car modded and not knowing why it's running like hell, but that's usually very influenced personalities (they see something, they want it like that, yet they have no aptitude to get it there safely). When it comes down to it, you have people that want the car for the flash, and some that just love it for it's mechanical aspect, I fall in the latter, even if I like the sleek lines that come with it :cool:

Agreed. Also you can't just group everyone together because of new and old. I only got my DSM a year ago but I have spent atleast as much on maintenence as I have on mods at the very least. Plus the only thing I pay my mechanic to do is align my wheels and fix lugs that I break and that's it. Everything else just comes from elbow grease

Im new scho to dsm i first got my dsm in 2010 i know im still really new. Well my first dsm was a 97gst well.the first thing the car did was the driver side axle came off the lock pin got too wear i guess the owner of that car treat bad lots of bad things it would always break belts speacially the alternador one i would fix her alot and get my hands really dirty with i didt care had bad wires they were cut causing problems clutch problems with the pump i would get dirty i would search what could the problem i also i would ask to the older people who know more about the car and they wouls tell mw how to fix that 97 gst im still learning speacilly with my gsx is different in parts and stuff. Im fixing her now motor is bad im still learning why they GET CRANK WALK BUT I CONSIDER MY SELF NEW BUT SOME MENTALITY OF OLD DSM IM not a ricer like those hondas guys i love dsms alot people tell me not to fix them and i go i like the too much

uhhh What?>:confused::confused:

This sums it up for me (not the content, because I can't decipher that...but the post in general).

Anyone that is old-school would never toss up such an incomprehensible and unreadable pile of English language abuse. :)

Agreed. Also you can't just group everyone together because of new and old. I only got my DSM a year ago but I have spent atleast as much on maintenence as I have on mods at the very least. Plus the only thing I pay my mechanic to do is align my wheels and fix lugs that I break and that's it. Everything else just comes from elbow grease

uhhh What?>:confused::confused:

Sign of the old school. I have a mental filter for people who post like that. I LITERALLY did not see that post and had to go back to see it.

I think most of the newbs are retarded and belong nowhere near cars, and especially should not be doing engine swaps on them...

Race gas is becoming old school ROFL

I definitely can't say I'm old school, but I would have loved to been in that era. The access to knowledge today is unbelievable but the irony is it just doesn't seem to be utilized.

I remember this site being, "the new DSM site" on the block. And I remember when the "old school" guys thought that this site was populated by the "new school" kids, and didn't come around here.

If you remember toluene, you're probably old school.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back