The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Old School VS New School DSMrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old school vs new school should be in terms of years working and owning the cars and not the parts used.

If you have 10+ years experince in DSM's then you should be considered old school. I myself am in the new school category but don't really mind because I have plenty to learn. Owned my first DSM in 04 and haven't looked back since. Still even miss it, lucky I sold it to a friend so I can see it any time.

clubdsm and talon digest sums it up for me!! Both were still being updated when I was first getting into the cars. Shoot, my 2g has an Extreme motorsports catback :D

I think I'm middle school.

All the old school guys are 40+ now and don't care.

Easy there youngster... :)

Old-school vs. new-school isn't about what tools you use, time spent working on a type of car, or anything like that. It's an attitude on how you approach things; and not just working on your DSM.

To me, old school are the guys that remember spending hours in a library researching something, or just hanging out listening to old-timers talk at a local shop...and figuring out how to make the impossible work with limited resources. It's the guys who invent their own tools to reach that hard-to-get-at nut, and when they see a problem with their car the first place they look for a solution is on their garage shelves instead of eBay. Old-school peeps pay attention to detail, and take a lot of pride in accomplishing something that took a lot of blood, sweat, and ingenuity.

In contrast, new-school people don't know what a library is. :)

If you remember when 300+ WHP was a highly modified car..
I also like turbodsm90's post..

Edit: If you know when you actually need adjustable cam gears and braided hoses..

Talon Digest.

Whether or not you were on it, answers the question of which one you are.

Or if you remember when clubDSM was a website that was actually kept up to date and still being updated. When all the big areas had a DSM.org subdomain. If you saw shep's car when it was a true street car. Uploaded and browsed pics on the pics.dsm.org site. If none of those apply to you, you're new school.

I think old school vs new school has nothing to do with if you use old parts or new parts, or anything like that, it's all in the attitude. The old school guys know how to make a car run right with the old school, minimalistic parts. They know you can't run 30 PSI on pump gas with an SAFC. They know when to replace wore out parts, and do so when need be. Not overbuilding, not underbuilding, they do exactly what needs to be done. Budgeted, but no cut corners. A lot of us "old schoolers" got into these cars young just like the new guys, and learned to be thrifty, and build on a budget, but also never slacked, or neglected maintenance that needed to be done. Now a lot of us have gotten older and have the money to buy all the parts we wish we had back in the day, build the dream motor we couldn't afford when we were in college, etc. These are the guys that have reliable 9-10 second street cars these days. But make no mistake on one thing - us old schoolers may be spending the money now but we haven't forgot how to go fast with no money and a little turbo. My hot rod car may be a pile of $14,000 running reliable 9s, but my "beater" car is a low 12 second $2000 small 16G beater with nothing on it that was made in the last 10 years.

I know a lot of new school guys that have the right attitude, but the percentage of new school guys that are crybabies is much higher than the percentage of old school guys

I agree.

I'm not really sure what category I'd fit into. I guess I'd be considered middle school? I've been into DSM's since 2000ish but I've never built anything crazy. I've driven my Talon almost everyday for the last 8 years and it still runs the original 14b with 216K miles on it. I remember when the vfaq and 1000dsm.org had working links. I remember not having internet access 24/7 to be able to read those articles and having to figure out things for myself. I remember reading Haynes manuals and doing timing belt jobs with bent needle nose pliers that we filed down to fit the tensioner because the specialty tools cost money. I remember when 1g's with rocker panels and good quarters weren't so scarce and dominated everything. I remember going 13.2 with a 255, a 2.5" catback, a hacked maf, and an SAFC on stock injectors. I also remember rebuilding that engine LOL.

The reason the old school guys really know what they are doing is simply because they've already made their mistakes, blown their engines, destroyed everything, and put it all back together. Back then it wasn't as much of an issue because the parts were still being made and easy to find. Nowadays a good 6bolt is like gold so old schoolers get mad when they're destroyed and not maintained because they are getting harder to find. All this talk about about doing things right vs wrong and being lazy is a bit skewed. I think a lot of us have simply forgotten what it was like to be young and want to go fast with ZERO money. A few bucks and a Home Depot boost controller was all it took back then. I never worried about maintenance or any of that stuff until further down the road. Timing belts and maintenance parts cost money I didn't have and the car still ran so why replace them LOL. All i cared about was running as much boost as I could without hitting fuel cut. When it blew up I learned and put it back together. If someone would of told me 10 years ago to do the timing belt before turning the boost up I would've told you where to stick your timing belt and boosted away. It may not be right but it was fun while it lasted.

I think in time the new school guys will also learn these lessons and eventually be considered old school. The tech has changed and the way we access the information has changed but in the end we're all just looking to go fast. The ones that stick with it and learn will be better DSMrs down the road. The rest of them will sell me parts.

The real difference is, you new guys have a huge archive of information at your fingertips - something we never had. All the typical problems have been well covered, and even the rare things have been discussed in detail by now. If we had a question, the definitive answer was sometimes years away. Now everything has been already done... almost.

In a way, I think that made it more fun for us OGs. It was easy to be a pioneer.

There is definitely a TON more information available these days than when I started.

I think the Old School vs. New School is somewhat irrelevant.. You're either a DSMer or you're not. I'll leave you all to set the criterion for THAT ROFL

\I think the Old School vs. New School is somewhat irrelevant.. You're either a DSMer or you're not.

This is exactly what I thought when I came across this thread. This thread sounds like grade school kids trying to categorize each other into social groups.

Who cares? A DSM enthusiast is a DSM enthusiast.

This is exactly what I thought when I came across this thread. This thread sounds like grade school kids trying to categorize each other into social groups.

Who cares? A DSM enthusiast is a DSM enthusiast.

Thats not what this thread is about, thats just kind of the direction the thread went in. Of course we are all DSM enthusiasts, nobody in this thread said anything about anyone else not being one or being less of one. Its more about different ways of thinking from those guys back in the day to people now. It's clearly not an us vs them thread, it's just people sharing a different line of thinking from then till now.

Having owned DSM's for 20 years, I'd say old school here. Definitely old school when you had to jump onto the university network to get your daily fix for Club DSM because AOL was charging internet access by the hour. Your old school if your still running the original HKS EVC you bought new back in 93, thing still kicks ass though. Your old school when every one of your mods had HKS stamped on it.

And finally, you may be old school if your starting to feel slightly embarassed about driving a DSM, even though your outrunning everything on the road.

Im new scho to dsm i first got my dsm in 2010 i know im still really new. Well my first dsm was a 97gst well.the first thing the car did was the driver side axle came off the lock pin got too wear i guess the owner of that car treat bad lots of bad things it would always break belts speacially the alternador one i would fix her alot and get my hands really dirty with i didt care had bad wires they were cut causing problems clutch problems with the pump i would get dirty i would search what could the problem i also i would ask to the older people who know more about the car and they wouls tell mw how to fix that 97 gst im still learning speacilly with my gsx is different in parts and stuff. Im fixing her now motor is bad im still learning why they GET CRANK WALK BUT I CONSIDER MY SELF NEW BUT SOME MENTALITY OF OLD DSM IM not a ricer like those hondas guys i love dsms alot people tell me not to fix them and i go i like the too much

Hmm.. well. I'm probably one of the first 'new school' on here. I didn't have to use dial up!

I always did my own research though :)

Old Skool DSM'er: FP green turbo, Apexi SAFC, 16" FD RX7 wheels and a 3" exhaust. New Skool DSM'er stretched tires, coilover suspension, DSMLink but don't know what to do with it LOL

Seriously though, I've been into these cars since before the 2G ever existed. Bought a 2G the minute it was affordable (Bought mine when it was a couple years old and over $10K used) I'd consider myself an old skool DSM'er but I've tried to keep the car clean, fresh, and modern. As far as the newer crop of DSM tuners, more power to 'em. Keep these cars relevant platforms. As far as the idea that the newer generation of tuners is just into beating the snot outta these cars and breaking them? We've been doing this since the first 1G rolled off the assembly line? Seriously

Hey whats wrong with fatty rims and your car slammed to the ground, I bought my first DSM in 03' don't lump me in with the kids LOL

All I am hearing is a lot of elitism.

All I am hearing is a lot of elitism.
At least it 's legible.

It's not elitism, it's simply frustration. 14 years in and I feel like the old guy telling stupid kids to GTFOff my lawn.

The cars are simply too easy to obtain these days, thus the influx of mouthbreather, AOL-speak, whiny, terribad, emo, douchebags.

Some of you newbies are fine, but it's not even close to 50% of you.

Blaha MAF, Pocketlogger, 550s, and a boost gauge...maybe an AFC. Sadly, this combo has gone as fast as some of the Holset pimps and big turbo guys, but would get scoffed at now. THAT is elitism.

Blaha MAF, Pocketlogger, 550s, and a boost gauge...maybe an AFC. Sadly, this combo has gone as fast as some of the Holset pimps and big turbo guys, but would get scoffed at now. THAT is elitism.

Quoted for truth. I remember when threads were about getting the most out of your pocketlogger setup (or mmc)... people running more than 680s on a 5 knob afc semi-successfully, LOL

I got my first DSM in late 90's; it was N/T and Automatic. I did ricer modifications. (Autozone premium spark plug wires, spark plugs, filter, etc.). But it wasn't until 2001-2002 that I really dove into a real DSM, started upgraded with proper modifications and was a fan of the free mods.

Heck, I even poored lighter fluid into my SMIC to get all the oil out. :D

I'm not sure where that puts me.

In age I'm old school. :shhh: In being a pioneer with nothing as a parts base or knowledge base when these cars were fairly new I'm far from being old school. In having the skill, experience, and knowledge of jumping into something and getting my hands and brain dirty I'm old school.
I think give the respect to the old guys. :applause::thumb:
Use your patience for the new guys.....They will be old experienced guys one day.:D Mentor us. Please be my big brother.ROFL

This thread is epic LOL. I bought my DSM off an Old school DSMer and he bought it off the lot brand new. 22psi, 660's, 5 knob SAFC, EGT and tuned by front O2 volts off the Apexi turbo timer.

I think old school or new school is defined only be time if you owned your DSM before the early 2000's and were actively involved in modding it then your old school.

I bought my 1st one in 2007 and by my own definition im new school. But new school or old school doesnt matter. What matters is if your a true enthusiast or not because thats what brings us together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back