The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

old school n64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
This is not my thing. My kids are into it. Does anybody have a good source for games, equipment etc.?
No idea who I could trust online, facebook etc. The local game stores simply have nothing.
Any comments on reproduction cartridges? I'm clueless here.

Vintage Stock would be my suggestion if you haven't already tried them. They generally have a decent selection, though it can certainly depend on what you're looking for. Around the OKC area, there's 4-5 stores. If you're looking to hit up a couple in a hurry, Norman and Moore locations are pretty close to each other.

i use an emulator on the computer. You just have to find a rom for the game you want and download it. you can use pretty much any controller with a usb connection. They sell n64 controllers that have a usb connection for this exact purpose

emulators

roms (games)

i use an emulator on the computer. You just have to find a rom for the game you want and download it. you can use pretty much any controller with a usb connection. They sell n64 controllers that have a usb connection for this exact purpose

emulators

roms (games)

For whatever dumb reason they want the original. We have a console etc but no games. We've played the emulators and they seemed the same to me.

Vintage Stock would be my suggestion if you haven't already tried them. They generally have a decent selection, though it can certainly depend on what you're looking for. Around the OKC area, there's 4-5 stores. If you're looking to hit up a couple in a hurry, Norman and Moore locations are pretty close to each other.
I've checked vintage stock. More like vintage no stock.

I would say video games are my primary hobby and I am relatively well versed in the n64. Probably it’s biggest weakness is it almost requires a crt tv to be worth playing. It only outputs composite so you not only have to solder in a rgb chip to get it compatible with most TV’s but they also require an upscaler after that. I know that’s not what you’re asking about but it is something to take into consideration before investing heavily in the platform.

The Nintendo switch has n64 support coming out soon so maybe point them that way if you want the easy way out.

As for the games they’re built like tanks so thankfully they’re pretty cheap as supply has not depreciated over the years. You can get some really good games for 10-15 bucks and most of the best games are sub 50 bucks. Right now a lot of the n64 exclusive titles are trending upward though which is upsetting. Make sure and check pricecharting.com before buying anything just to make sure people are charging you a reasonable price.

Aftermarket controller support is growing for them currently which makes the games much more enjoyable to play. For many years anytime you bought a controller you had to rebuild the joystick and even then, the controller felt like a dated, bad design. I have a brawler 64 and I don’t think it’s the best option out there, but it really helped make the console more enjoyable to play.

Another thing to take into consideration is a handful of games require an expansion pak which is hovering around 60 bucks right now. Major mask, which is heralded as one of the greats, requires it for example. I could go on for hours so if you need anything specific feel free to pm me.

other than that, i would try goodwill.

I would say video games are my primary hobby and I am relatively well versed in the n64. Probably it’s biggest weakness is it almost requires a crt tv to be worth playing. It only outputs composite so you not only have to solder in a rgb chip to get it compatible with most TV’s but they also require an upscaler after that. I know that’s not what you’re asking about but it is something to take into consideration before investing heavily in the platform.

The Nintendo switch has n64 support coming out soon so maybe point them that way if you want the easy way out.

As for the games they’re built like tanks so thankfully they’re pretty cheap as supply has not depreciated over the years. You can get some really good games for 10-15 bucks and most of the best games are sub 50 bucks. Right now a lot of the n64 exclusive titles are trending upward though which is upsetting. Make sure and check pricecharting.com before buying anything just to make sure people are charging you a reasonable price.

Aftermarket controller support is growing for them currently which makes the games much more enjoyable to play. For many years anytime you bought a controller you had to rebuild the joystick and even then, the controller felt like a dated, bad design. I have a brawler 64 and I don’t think it’s the best option out there, but it really helped make the console more enjoyable to play.

Another thing to take into consideration is a handful of games require an expansion pak which is hovering around 60 bucks right now. Major mask, which is heralded as one of the greats, requires it for example. I could go on for hours so if you need anything specific feel free to pm me.
This is the info I need. I'm very curious about the switch support now. And my younger son swears he used to play majoras mask without the expansion pak and my older son says no way. They're both old enough to remember correctly.

other than that, i would try goodwill.
Goodwill are dang near impossible these days. Most people know their value now and raid goodwill’s daily. I live in a town of about 60k people and all 5 thrift stores are raided every single day by various groups of collectors who have no life or employees that know they can sell them for $40 profit on eBay. Try and find a retro game store locally. I have two and they usually charge about 3-5 bucks over pricecharting.com depending on the condition of the cart. eBay will always be around the same but you can’t confirm authenticity.

I know there are adapters for newer tvs but I'm not sure which ones may work better. I have an older small flat screen with rca inputs I can use if nothing else works. suggestions?

I know there are adapters for newer tvs but I'm not sure which ones may work better. I have an older small flat screen with rca inputs I can use if nothing else works. suggestions?
This part gets DEEP.

Some tv’s wig out and don’t produce a picture at all, some scale it horrible and it looks almost too bad to play, and some do just fine. If you’re dead set on getting one, get it and try it out first because any mods or other options are very expensive and probably not worth the time unless it physically won’t work without them.

Edit: there are a few cheap converters out there and they’re hit or miss. Some hurt the quality and some just get the picture on the tv but it then looks bad from the tv not scaling it’s converted signal correctly either. This leads most people into the more expensive mods. When it comes to mods, the purists either do a solder in rgb chip and upscaler such as a retrotink or ossc or an hdmi mod. Those will both net you an additional 2-300 dollars on top of the console cost. They increase the crispness of the pixels and make the console scale appropriately on widescreen formatted tv’s. I’d say the picture quality jump is +10% if I had to gauge it and IMO flat out not worth it.
For reference, I have a lg oled (regarded as a high end tv in both compatibility and picture quality) with an ossc ( upscaler built specifically for upscaling old game consoles) and the signal from all of my older game consoles gets split to a crt tv and to the converter so I can play on either. I’d say I spend more time playing on the old $10 thrift store tv than the $2000 converter tv setup.

There is currently speculation that Nintendo will release a n64 mini like they did the snes and nes mini in the next year or so. I’d say it’s still a tossup since they’re bringing a lot of them to switch now cause it could make a production unit easier if they already have all the game files, but the switch sells so well why bother. I personally hope they go this route as I love my snes mini and feel they do a really good job on these reproduction units.

Oh i love my N64! I still got loads of games and original boxes and instruction! I have not played it in a long time but i never will get rid of it as they so nice to have around and the games were amazing! Perfect dark was awesome

I already have a converter for the wii. The current n64 console I have isn't working so I've got a line on another. I tried what I have on two different older tvs. No go. I suspect another n64 will work with the adapter I have. How well who knows. What about running through an av receiver with rca av inputs?

N64. Whatttttttt???

I had a cheap Westinghouse wallmart converter thing for my ps2 on the new HD flat screens. Worked great. I remember there was a switch tho from channel 3 to 4. How long has it been since you've heard of Channel 3 and 4, yeah sum of us are that old ROFL
I was just trying to find this local game store for you, but im not sure i liked the page sorry. Ill keep looking.

. The current n64 console I have isn't working so I've got a line on another. I tried what I have on two different older tvs. No go. I suspect another n64 will work with the adapter I have. How well who knows. What about running through an av receiver with rca av inputs?

if you need an N64 console, i have one and some stupid wrestling game and maybe some controllers that work. you can have all of it for free if you want.

i have a whole lotta crap for converting forms of old stuff to work on newer stuff. i will dig some out and hook it up to see if i can find out a setup that looks good on a newer tv. i'll post some pictures of the screen if i'm successful

if you need an N64 console, i have one and some stupid wrestling game and maybe some controllers that work. you can have all of it for free if you want.

i have a whole lotta crap for converting forms of old stuff to work on newer stuff. i will dig some out and hook it up to see if i can find out a setup that looks good on a newer tv. i'll post some pictures of the screen if i'm successful
Absolutely. I'll take anything I can get

so i have a ge converter that takes rca's in and outputs to coax.
this exact one
i hooked up the n64 with the converter and it works just fine.
if you look at the documentation for your tv and it has these 2 things, a converter like this should work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i pulled those specs from a samsung uhd tv from last year.

so i found 2 controllers, a memory card., and a zelda game.. i'll have to look around tomorrow and see if i have anything else to go with it.
The contacts on the controller plugs and the av cable are dirty so i will try and clean them. When i plugged it in i wasn't getting a signal so i tried the av cable from my SNES and it worked.
Hopefully once i clean the contacts the cable will work but worst case, you would need a new av cable.
After i get it cleaned up and boxed up and all that, i'll PM you and see where you want me to send it.

Man I live for garage sales and people saying things like “ I have an old ps2 laying around if you want it”. Glad to see someone will be getting some enjoyment out of an old console!

Around the Midwest we have Disc Replay stores that do almost exclusively retro gaming. They've always got decent stock but unfortunately they don't have an online presence and everything is in-person only. I've been wanting to check out a coupe of my local ones this week anyway, so I can keep an eye out for N64 stuff if you want. Are there any specific games on your list?

EDIT: I've been playing N64 stuff pretty much exclusively in emulation these days because you can enable things like 4K rendering, anti-aliasing, and sometimes even ray tracing! I've always hated the N64 controller so I'm happy to use wireless X360 and XBONE controllers, but I do actually have an N64 and Gamecube USB adapter if I get desperate. Super Mario Sunshine, for example, requires a GC controller for analog trigger support for some reason.

I have a N64, with 4+ controllers that I hook up via RCA cables to my smart TV and play Super Smash Bros with somewhat regularly with my friends.

Its actually the best to show up at a get together with, crowd goes wild...

Wow I used to love n64. I don’t even remember what happened to my console. Probably sold it for some street glow or something :ohdamn:

Santa is bringing my daughter a switch for Christmas, I’m definitely interested in this rumor about n64 capability on that.

Ebay and garage sales. You'll be surprised on what you can find for steals.

We emulate with an Xbox One S. My younger son buys non-working Xbox's, repairs them and then does all sorts of modifications to them and he isn't even the electrician in the family, LOL. The emulated games looked like originals to me, since we have probably had every gaming system on earth except the PS's. I think the PS's have better graphics but the boys were always stuck on Xbox. I think we can even play some PS games with the emulators that he has installed.

Project 64 is probably the best windows n64 emu. Be aware that a lot of the usb/n64 controllers have dinky drivers and do not work on anything the + side of windows xp. I have a n64 console with the useless ram upgrade but it sounds like you already have one coming your way. I've got GoldenEye, Pilotwings, NoMercy, Starfox, Perfect Dark, Rush 2 and a Gameshark. There are a few little Ma and Pa videogame shops here in the Seattle area that have very good stock of N64 games and hardware if you let me know of anything specific that you are looking for let me know and I'll see if I can't find it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back