The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Old School DSM & 4G63 goodness-Ads, Commercials, Tuning etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticTsi

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Tokyo-Japan, Asia
A couple of days ago a few of us were mentioning the upgrades we made back in the day. So I thought it would be cool to post up pictures, articles, ads or whatever from back in the day. With having owned my DSM for nearly 20 years I have accumulated a lot of DSM related stuff. I think it would be nice for fellow T/E/L owners to see how far we have come as far as upgrades available, tuning styles or methods, techniques that have come and gone and all things DSM or 4G63 related from back in the day. I had mentioned that I would dare to say that the 4G63 was the Chevy small block of the import world. That is least just my point of view from living in Japan for so long. There the 4G63 has been around in some form since the 70’s. In Japan it came in numerous platforms like the Colt, Lancer, Galant, Cordia, Tredia, Starion, RVRs just to name a few.

So if you have old ads, old magazine covers, commercials, old photos of modded T/E/Ls or 4G63, or anything DSM related from back it the day lets see it. If you can provide info or history with whatever you post, that would be nice. I know many of the Old School crowd have a lot to share.

I will start it off. I have scanned in a copy of an Ad I clipped in 1993 for Archer Racing. Back then they were well known for campaigning Talons and their Firehawk Series and SCCA Dominance. So the very first item I bought from them was an HK$ exhaust. Much like the one in the ad without the second pipe branching off to the side.

Attachments

• ArcherRacing1993.jpg
    ArcherRacing1993.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 445
Since there are so few of us left who have had their DSM since new, who still has their original DSM glovebox paperwork organizer?

Attachments

• DSMdocumentholder.jpg
    DSMdocumentholder.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,521
Couple more old product ads.late 93' and early 94'.

Turbo insulation kit for the 14b. Paul Rossi was quite the tuner and racer back in the day. One of the most memorable Firehawk series I saw him race in with the talon was one in which he barely qualified. Then having to start the field in the final spot on the grid and went on to win the race. So if Rossi used it in his car it had to be good :)

The DSS ads were regulars in many early magazines.
I always saw the Superchips Controller being advertised for our cars but never met a person who had actually installed it. Also love the "Super Bright" Halogens listed from Hella.

Have to give the Laser some love

Tina Turner in a Plymouth Laser Ad from 1990 - YouTube

Attachments

• ThermoTecAd.jpg
    ThermoTecAd.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 301
  • DSSad.jpg
    DSSad.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Cool Jose! I've got several tupperware containers full of DSM memorabilia. I'm in the middle of packing for a move over the next month so I won't see most of it for a while. However, I may have some stuff kicking around that I can take digi pics of and toss up. My scanner is inop. I'm sure I've got some items that would spark some interest. I'll contribute as often as I can. :thumb:

Phil

PS- never saw that glovebox paper organizer....that's cool! And, stupid rare I'm sure. I didn't get it from the orignal owner when I bought my car. But, he did give me the factory manuals and an engine pre-luber that he bought and never installed. I still have it mint in the box!

Since there are so few of us left who have had their DSM since new, who still has their original DSM glovebox paperwork organizer?

Just curious, where is/was Parkway Mitsubishi?

Is that what O'brien Mitsubishi was called in the day? The dealership in Normal, Il. where many employee purchases' were made.
I am a plant employee and over the years have had many DSM items.
I recall Archer brothers having a display at the plant one time. At the time I didn't really care much for these cars. Their cars did impress me. I'm more of a musclecar guy actually. :rocks:
I'm into these cars now tho, go figure.
I have the original window sticker for my car. :)

I always find memorabillia like this cool. I have several dealer brochures and a pair of HKS catalogs from '93 & '95 respectively that the original owner gave me, along with every receipt - he even kept the transfer case recall letter.

I'll contribute as often as I can. :thumb:
I know you have some awesome stuff to share. Look forward to it.

Just curious, where is/was Parkway Mitsubishi?

Is that what O'brien Mitsubishi was called in the day? The dealership in Normal, Il. where many employee purchases' were made.
I am a plant employee and over the years have had many DSM items.
I recall Archer brothers having a display at the plant one time. At the time I didn't really care much for these cars. Their cars did impress me. I'm more of a musclecar guy actually. :rocks:
I'm into these cars now tho, go figure.
I have the original window sticker for my car. :)

That is awesome to have one of the plant workers in the forums. Yup, that is the same mitsu dealer. My Tsi was the showroom model. It had all the options and all the accessories to try to entice buyers. Back in the day the Archer Brothers were making a killing with the Talons. They kept winning the SCCA championship year after year. Even when the 2G came out they did not skip a beat. Winning, something like 7 or 8 titles in a row!

Well, my next contribution is the 1G promotional model that was available at select dealerships. Been looking for a white one for nearly 20 years, have never seen it. 99.9% sure it only came in red.

Attachments

• eclipsetoy6.jpg
    eclipsetoy6.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,390
I know you have some awesome stuff to share. Look forward to it.

That is awesome to have one of the plant workers in the forums. Yup, that is the same mitsu dealer. My Tsi was the showroom model. It had all the options and all the accessories to try to entice buyers. Back in the day the Archer Brothers were making a killing with the Talons. They kept winning the SCCA championship year after year. Even when the 2G came out they did not skip a beat. Winning, something like 7 or 8 titles in a row!

Well, my next contribution is the 1G promotional model that was available at select dealerships. Been looking for a white one for nearly 20 years, have never seen it. 99.9% sure it only came in red.

I'm glad! I'll do the best I can!

I just found one of these Promo 1G Eclipses. It's on it's way to my house as we speak. It only came in red and I've never seen another diecast 1G ever.

Do you own this one?

Phil

Jose is back?!?!? WTF?

I won't even tell that man to search for the other thread on this. :p

I'm glad! I'll do the best I can!

I just found one of these Promo 1G Eclipses. It's on it's way to my house as we speak. It only came in red and I've never seen another diecast 1G ever.

Do you own this one?

Phil

Not any more, gave it to my son. Did you get yours online? I better call my boy and make sure he did not put that thing up for sale. The only other die-cast car I've seen was a matchbox sized car. It was modeled after the european 1G roadster that was available. Speaking of that I'll have to look, I have brochures of that shop that use to make the targa and roadster 1Gs in Europe. In one of the brochures you could see something like 20 or 30 cars. already modified.

Jose is back?!?!? WTF?

I won't even tell that man to search for the other thread on this. :p

Thanks, yup back in the states again.

Phil, here is that old Extreme ad I was talking about. One of their first if not the first ad. I think late 94' or early 95'. I like the white 1G with the 3-spoke Antera like wheels in the background. I wonder if that is the same white 1G that Sean Glazar piloted to an 8-second pass.

Attachments

• ExtremeAd.jpg
    ExtremeAd.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Not any more, gave it to my son. Did you get yours online? I better call my boy and make sure he did not put that thing up for sale. The only other die-cast car I've seen was a matchbox sized car. It was modeled after the european 1G roadster that was available. Speaking of that I'll have to look, I have brochures of that shop that use to make the targa and roadster 1Gs in Europe. In one of the brochures you could see something like 20 or 30 cars. already modified.

Thanks, yup back in the states again.

Phil, here is that old Extreme ad I was talking about. One of their first if not the first ad. I think late 94' or early 95'. I like the white 1G with the 3-spoke Antera like wheels in the background. I wonder if that is the same white 1G that Sean Glazar piloted to an 8-second pass.

Did you give it to a young son? Or an older son that would put it on a shelf? Hope it's the latter b/c they are bringing the $. I got mine from a female, yes online. Missed the chance years ago and swore if I saw another it would be mine. And so, I've got one now! Funny, b/c the Eclipse is my least favorite 1G. I'm a Talon and Laser guy. Wish there was an Eagle Talon version. Or, Laser RS FWD.

That might have been the first ad, I'll have to check. And, for sure, that is the 8 second Talon sporting Anteras......

I had this pic uploaded already so here's a cool one I think.....Nate Crisman's DSMotorsport bottle opener/key chain!

Attachments

• DSMotorsportr.jpg
    DSMotorsportr.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 245
That might have been the first ad, I'll have to check. And, for sure, that is the 8 second Talon sporting Anteras......

I had this pic uploaded already so here's a cool one I think.....Nate Crisman's DSMotorsport bottle opener/key chain!

I gave it to an older son. I know he wont sell it, he is a collector. I also noticed on the old extreme car looks like it may have had the old GTS tinted headlight covers, too funny.

The key chain/bottle opener is awesome. Here is that 1G Roadster matchbox car I told you I found. Also this is the brochure for the German shop making the 1G Roadsters and Targas back in the day. But now looking at the toy car again I think it may have been modeled after the 1G concept car. Because on the toy car the fog lamps are round while the European roadsters still retained the rectangular foglamps.

Attachments

• eclispsetoy.jpg
    eclispsetoy.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 1GRoadster&targa1.jpg
    1GRoadster&targa1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 1GRoadster&targa2.jpg
    1GRoadster&targa2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 298
I always find memorabillia like this cool. I have several dealer brochures and a pair of HKS catalogs from '93 & '95 respectively that the original owner gave me, along with every receipt - he even kept the transfer case recall letter.

That's cool man! I'd like to see the HKS stuff. I kept only the cover of one of them because there was a blue GSX and a red Archer prepped Talon on the cover..

I gave it to an older son. I know he wont sell it, he is a collector. I also noticed on the old extreme car looks like it may have had the old GTS tinted headlight covers, too funny.

The key chain/bottle opener is awesome. Here is that 1G Roadster matchbox car I told you I found. Also this is the brochure for the German shop making the 1G Roadsters and Targas back in the day. But now looking at the toy car again I think it may have been modeled after the 1G concept car. Because on the toy car the fog lamps are round while the European roadsters still retained the rectangular foglamps.

kiiiiiilllllllleeeeeer!

So, wild. Jose: would you send those full size to my email? I'd love to have them printed out in my binder....I'm old school as all hell:) You're right again, Sean had the GTS tinted covers on the Talon! Good to hear your son is a collector....I thought you might have given it to a son that would enjoy smashing it into stuff...LOL...

Here's one!:

Attachments

• dsmeagleplater.jpg
    dsmeagleplater.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
So, wild. Jose: would you send those full size to my email? I'd love to have them printed out in my binder....I'm old school as all hell:) You're right again, Sean had the GTS tinted covers on the Talon! Good to hear your son is a collector....I thought you might have given it to a son that would enjoy smashing it into stuff...LOL...

Here's one!:

The License plate is awesome. It was cool how alot of the Eagle stuff was available under the Mopar name. To me it had always been associated with muscle cars until Eagle came along.

I will have to look for the original brochures. As I acquired stuff I scanned it for my website. I could swear I have a higher res scan loaded somewhere. Well since we are on the topic of the Targas and Roadsters here is my next contribution.

Plus, I think that you will like to add these to your collection Phil. It is all the schematics for the Targa aka Eclipse CT. These schematics are from August of 99' the originals are from December of 93'. I dont have any copies of the 12-93 vers. All those part numbers were phased out anyway. There is a significant amount of additional support and different suspension as one would assume there would be.

So if someone would like to retrofit a USDM 1G to a Targa/CT here is everything you need to do it. All part numbers are EDM.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sample of schematics

High Quality Versions of all Targa/CT Schematics.
Eclipse CT Schematic #1
Eclipse CT Schematic #2
Eclipse CT Schematic #3
Eclipse CT Schematic #4
Eclipse CT Schematic #5
Eclipse CT Schematic #6
Eclipse CT Schematic #7
Eclipse CT Schematic #8

Nice post, i bet that stuff weighs a shit ton. I'd love to have a targa top though.

Awesome stuff Jose! I remember the german CT brochure. Really cool cutaways. I'd love to do this! But, it's a super project and I've got many of those going these days, some, not auto related.

Nice post, i bet that stuff weighs a shit ton. I'd love to have a targa top though.

Thanks, For sure the weight is significant. Through most of the schematics there are some sort of reinforcements going on. But the Cool factor is there for sure.

Awesome stuff Jose! I remember the german CT brochure. Really cool cutaways. I'd love to do this! But, it's a super project and I've got many of those going these days, some, not auto related.
I hear you. Things are crazy busy here too. Have a year and half old daughter that keeps me pretty busy and the wifey is pregnant. To boot have less than two years before retiring from the military.
I too always thought the CT looked great.

Well, found out my small car is indeed the Mitsu concept. It just has no markings. The diecast cars were made by Zylmex/Zee Toys. The model is D107 Mitsubishi X2S Show Car. There are at least 3 versions. Mine is version two. I will attach copies of the other versions.
v.1 burgundy with X2S graphics on sides, tan interior
v.2 red with no graphics, white interior
v.3 silver metallic with no graphics, white interior

There was also a 1G diecast made by Ertl part of their Speed Strips line. I am including a picture of that car also.

Attachments

• 6281-x2s-concept.jpg
    6281-x2s-concept.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 5573-x2s-concept.jpg
    5573-x2s-concept.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,089
  • cn2mitsu.jpg
    cn2mitsu.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • ertleclipse.jpg
    ertleclipse.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,098
Last edited:
Boy, all that stuff brings back memories. One of the first things I bought for my car was some control arm bushings from Archer.:)

I can understand! I've got a 1.5 year old boy and a 3 month old baby girl. It's WORK sometimes...LOL.....

Wow, those pics are awesome....love the full roofed car at the bottom right!

And, here's a few more goodies for the thread, including, a silly rare promo T-shirt for the 1990 Eagle Talon!

The key chain still has the key I used when my car was a street car attached. Then the corresponding pin is still packaged.

The DSMotorsport fuel pump rewire kit is still packaged. I never installed it!

I used the valve stem caps on the Talon when I had my first set of polished aftermarket wheels...they were Brent Rau's American Racing 328's that he had on his Eclipse when it was still a street car.

Attachments

• DSMotorsportfprewirekitr.jpg
    DSMotorsportfprewirekitr.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 235
  • dsmtaloncapr.jpg
    dsmtaloncapr.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 212
  • dsmtaloncapsr.jpg
    dsmtaloncapsr.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 220
  • dsmtalonshirtr.jpg
    dsmtalonshirtr.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • dsmtalonkeyr.jpg
    dsmtalonkeyr.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back