The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

OK, trying to decide on keeping my Talon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneak

Probationary Member
Dec 4, 2005
Harmony, Minnesota
I bought the 95 Talon TSI AWD from a friend for 500 bucks, it has 138,000 miles on it, good rubber, a cone type K&N air filter, an ACT2100 clutch, and a dead turbo. The strut towers have bubbled paint from rust, there's a small ding in the passenger door up twords the window, the right side of the rear bumper had black paint scraped onto it, and the middle of the front spoiler was trashed all the way across the bottom.

I am trying to decide wether to buy a cheap used T25 and sell it for a profit, or buy a large aftermarket turbo and start fixing and modding. If I sell it, I will probably just turn around and buy another TSI AWD.

It's all a matter of personal preference... I got my Talon for $300 with a "dead turbo" that ended up being a whole lot more (exploded piston, scored cylinders etc).. Once I started digging in and reading up on just how much we can do to these cars I fell in love with the prospect...

You may find that once you spend the time and energy getting the car running that you are reluctant to let it go.. I would say follow your instincts... If you think you can sell the car for a profit after getting it up and running then go for it..

You may be able to find a car in better shape with the money you make from your current Talon.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I still am not sure if I want to keep THIS Talon or not.

sneak said:
The strut towers have bubbled paint from rust, there's a small ding in the passenger door up twords the window, the right side of the rear bumper had black paint scraped onto it, and the middle of the front spoiler was trashed all the way across the bottom.
Those are only cosmetic problems that any body shop can fix. So its not that bad. :thumb:
sneak said:
I bought the 95 Talon TSI AWD from a friend for 500 bucks, it has 138,000 miles on it, good rubber, a cone type K&N air filter, an ACT2100 clutch, and a dead turbo.
Only thing wrong is it has a dead turbo.
sneak said:
I bought the 95 Talon TSI AWD from a friend for 500 bucks
I was going to say the cosmetic things can be fixed and you can upgrade to a 14b pretty cheap nowadays. So i was leaning towards keeping the car. But the only question I have is why did your friend sell you the car for only $500 if it only had a bad turbo? Why didn't he just slap another used t25 ont there and sell it for more? That what makes me lean towards selling it.

However, if nothing is wrong besides a blown turbo, I don't see why you shouldn't keep the car, and have fun modding away. But be careful like they say it's addicting. Stay boostin :thumb:

i bought a Eagle Talon DL for 1500, and even if it is a DL i love the car =) i probably won't sell it becasue its a great daily driver, but i plan to buy a 95 TSi AWD talon or a 98 GSX next summer.

dalatinromeo said:
But the only question I have is why did your friend sell you the car for only $500 if it only had a bad turbo? Why didn't he just slap another used t25 ont there and sell it for more? That what makes me lean towards selling it.

My friend isn't exactly mechanically savvy, if you know what I mean... OMG :thumb:

You got yourself a good platform for cheap to build on. From here, it's how far you want to take it before you're satisfied. As already mentioned, it's an addiction!

run compression test
check timing
take it to advanced auto to have any codes pulled
check all fluids

Call it a day

if all of those come out good then i would keep it

After all that drop 2 grand and make it a bad ass TSI and sell it back to your firend for 4 grand :thumb:

I'm going to agree with everyone else and say that if it's just the turbo that is dead I'd keep it. I mean if I could find a TSi for $500 that just had a dead turbo and a few cosmetic problems I'd jump on it.

Well, I gave it a leak down test and it was in the low to mid 90's, all the fluids were fine, the timing marks on the cam shaft drive wheels were lined up, and I don't think I've ever heard of an advanced autos place that I can remember.

The general opinion seems to be that I should keep it an run it like a raped ape... :nono:

Once you put some work into, I can almost bet you will love it. It feels good to know that you fixed soemthing or got it running. You will have more pride in the car too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back